Forza Motorsports 2 60fps, 4xAA, HDR, MB

Powderkeg said:
Yes...

From the Official Forza web site.

http://forzamotorsport.net/050906-01.htm

Wowza! Now all we need is a screen shot and were in business! Realistically I expect a graphic fidelity ~equal to pgr3 but at that res with 4xaa and 60fps I'll take that anyday! That was really my only knock on pgr3 was the res which looked better than xbox/ps2 but still not native which looked crap on my 720 projector.

Bring on Forza Baby!

Arwin said:
I think the PGR3 developers would agree with you. In fact, they did, several times, when asked about if they would be doing another version, or if they had to make compromises for releasing PGR3 this early in the game's lifecycle.

Finally though, Logitech is coming with a 360 force feedback wheel, which would make the game actually enjoyable for me. I got PGR2 for my Xbox, but after enjoying it for 2 weeks on Live, I was irresistably drawn back to my Logitech wheel (over the course of my gaming career I've bought about 5 of their wheels already) and the PS2. Probably had something to do with GT ... .

I havent heard much about the Logitech wheel, but the wireless one MS announced at E3 sounds fantastic, rumble and FF (when you plug it in the wall) should be great. Another good idea is that the pedals apparently have a footing that comes out behind your heel so your own foot keeps them in place while you press down.

pakotlar said:
Can you imagine Ninja Gaiden 2 with the DOA:Xtreme Volleyball 2 engine (self shadowing ftw) and gritty, bad-ninja stylee? Oh baby, i think i need a tissue.

Honestly that was a major fence sitting point for at e3 last year. When team ninja didn't confirm if ng2 was coming to 360 but damn. If it didn't id have to rob a bank or something. ng2 - you will be mine.

anyone else think ng1 was underrated last gen?

Arwin said:
Finally though, Logitech is coming with a 360 force feedback wheel, which would make the game actually enjoyable for me. I got PGR2 for my Xbox, but after enjoying it for 2 weeks on Live, I was irresistably drawn back to my Logitech wheel (over the course of my gaming career I've bought about 5 of their wheels already) and the PS2. Probably had something to do with GT ... .

I don't know if the same is true for the Logitech Wheel, but the 1st party Microsoft Wheel that is coming out does both Force Feedback and Rumble simultaneously.

ie. You can feel the rear tires hop on a hard corner via the rumble while the force feedback mimicks the front tires trying to straighten out.

And I don't know if it's already been mentioned here, but word is when the MS wheel is released MS will also release a patch for PGR3 that adds the Force Feedback support to that game.

Last edited by a moderator:
TheChefO said:
anyone else think ng1 was underrated last gen?

Off-topic, but no it wasn't underrated. It seemed to have rated quite well actually, higher even than God of War on Gamespot - though I can never tell if the rankings are relative to the platform or not ;).

However, the original Xbox drew a certain category of gamers. If it had stayed on PS2, it'd have had a bigger audience. We'll have to wait and see if the 360 changes that. If God of War, DMC, Tekken and Virtua Fighter 5 are going to remain PS3 exclusives, it doesn't look all that good.

The original Ninja Gaiden didn't v-synch btw which looked very ugly on PAL, I thought. Other than that it was pretty neat.

EDIT:
@Powder: you've never played GT4 with force feedback wheel, have you?

Anyway, Forza 2 better be better looking than PGR3! As said, the bar wasn't all that high. Nevertheless, Forza looked worse than PGR2 on the Xbox. Also, imho PGR3 only looks good from in-car and has too few cars on track for a next-gen game, and it looks total crap on open tracks, where its driving physics really stand out badly. But like PGR2, the online features are great.

Arwin said:
though I can never tell if the rankings are relative to the platform or not ;).

nice dig - I meant along the lines of sold product/marketing. Critical acclaim as you know doesn't always translate to sales. (I never noticed any vsync issues with ng(?) perhaps only in the pal version?)

Forza isn't meant to compete w/pgr3 its meant to compete w/ gt5. So I wouldn't be surprised to see pgr3 level graphics rendered at said spec and for most everyone to be very pleased with it.

Arwin said:
EDIT:
@Powder: you've never played GT4 with force feedback wheel, have you?

Yes I have, but I was talking about the Logitech wheel for the 360, not the Playstation compatible ones. I know that most Logitech wheels do have both rumble and force feedback, but I don't recall the 360 wheel that Logitech announced claiming to do the same thing. Just going off of memory, I seem to recall it being called "Axial feedback" which suggests the lack of a seperate rumble.

EDIT:

The Logitech DriveFX Wheel uses axial-feedback technology — with a powerful motor built into the base of the steering column — bringing new levels of realism to Xbox 360 racing. The DriveFX wheel translates the feedback commands of the game into axial forces that make the steering wheel respond realistically to the car´s dynamics, creating a sensory experience similar to that of a real steering wheel and column.

http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/news/US/EN,contentid=12018,crid=34

See what I mean? It seems to have the Force Feedback, but no mention of an independent rumble.

Powderkeg said:
See what I mean? It seems to have the Force Feedback, but no mention of an independent rumble.

I meant that you can create rumble with the Force Feedback motors easily enough. In fact, the Logitech wheel did that much better than most rumble devices. So it seems pointless to have a separate rumble feature.

EDIT: and sorry if I'm not being totally fair to Forza - of course the cars couldn't look quite as good as they had to accommodate optical tuning, which makes it more complex. I just didn't care for that feature, and the net result was that the graphics were less impressive. But the tracks looked very good, mind you!

Arwin said:
I meant that you can create rumble with the Force Feedback motors easily enough. In fact, the Logitech wheel did that much better than most rumble devices. So it seems pointless to have a separate rumble feature.

If you use the Force Feedback motors to vibrate the wheel then you don't get a true seperate effect.

To use an anology here, if you had a stereo with 2 speakers, and spliced in 2 more on to the same channels it wouldn't give you the distinct seperation that a true surround sound system would give you.

If you perform the vibration with the same motors as the force feedback then when you have both a turning effect and vibration at the same time, one of the two effects will be muted or nullified completely. Plus the vibration will be a left/right wheel shake, rather than a simple rumble sensation, so it would feel more like a front tire that's out of balance than it would a chassis vibration from the rear of the car.

You don't get the sensation that they are truely 2 seperate effects mimicking 2 entirely different forces.

With the MS wheel you can have the force feedback shake the wheel around and pull to one side to simulate the front tire running off track and into the grass while having a completely seperate vibration to give you the sensation of your rear tires hopping or losing grip. Or, alternatively, you could use the rumble to simulate engine vibration while using the Force Feedback to simulate changing road conditions, and one effect would not conflict or interfere with the other.

Powderkeg said:
And I don't know if it's already been mentioned here, but word is when the MS wheel is released MS will also release a patch for PGR3 that adds the Force Feedback support to that game.

Correct, Bizarre had said before launch if there was a FF wheel they would patch and MS has recently said they were gonna try getting them to add support. If MS delivers on an affordable FF wheel, as promised, that could be very enticing. I am at the stage of "play fewer games, but play more GOOD games longer" and getting to play a racer with a nice wheel could be a blast.

scooby_dooby said:
Why show realtime and get insulted, when you can show CG and be praised. MS learnt that lesson last year, unfortunately.
I know this thread has been going for quite sometime but Scooby I fine your comment here quite interesting. I nthe GT HD thread you went oof on why GT4 HD assets were used and it was a waste of time but its fine to show Forza renders but no gameplay. Whats good for the goose is not good for the gander I see. ;-)

RavenFox said:
Whats good for the goose is not good for the gander I see. ;-)

hardly - I don't mean to speak for him but I interprit that as "it's a shame that devs can't garner good press from showing a true work in progress because of the way the press compared them to cgi at e3 last year. It would be nice if everyone were on an equal marketing playing field and stopped showing cgi and presenting it as a true representation of the game you will get in the end"

but thats just me

RavenFox said:
I know this thread has been going for quite sometime but Scooby I fine your comment here quite interesting. I nthe GT HD thread you went oof on why GT4 HD assets were used and it was a waste of time but its fine to show Forza renders but no gameplay. Whats good for the goose is not good for the gander I see. ;-)

Sarcasm my friend. I hate CG.

Also I don't remember saying anything about GT4 assetts being a waste of time or anything to that extent, so I'm not really sure what you're talking about. I did say I was surprised GT5 team had only just started on development.

TheChefO said:
hardly - I don't mean to speak for him but I interprit that as "it's a shame that devs can't garner good press from showing a true work in progress because of the way the press compared them to cgi at e3 last year. It would be nice if everyone were on an equal marketing playing field and stopped showing cgi and presenting it as a true representation of the game you will get in the end"

but thats just me

But Polyphony didn't show any CGI material last year.

scooby said:
I did say I was surprised GT5 team had only just started on development.

I wouldn't call mid 2005 "just starting". Just starting aren't the right words.

mckmas8808 said:
Did you like the video clip?
Of course I did. But I see no point in showing at this year's E3 something like GT HD after showing "all real-time" Vision Gran Turismo trailer at last TGS.

aselto said:
Of course I did. But I see no point in showing at this year's E3 something like GT HD after showing "all real-time" Vision Gran Turismo trailer at last TGS.

I don't either. That's why me and plenty of other GT fans were/are still confused about the move. But that video is indeed real-time footage.

scooby_dooby said:
Sarcasm my friend. I hate CG.

Also I don't remember saying anything about GT4 assetts being a waste of time or anything to that extent, so I'm not really sure what you're talking about. I did say I was surprised GT5 team had only just started on development.
My bad scoob. Got those post mixed up lol

Back