Formula 1 - 2013 Season

Some drivers just appear to be able to settle in a new car quickly. If Hamilton can do that after joining McLaren as Alonso's team mate he can certainly do it at Mercedes with Rosberg.

The Merc was a decent car at the start of the season and it's not nearly as bad as 9th or 11th fastest car. Hamilton is worth a couple of tenths at least. I expect them to be 5th again but closer to Lotus, and Hamilton will come on strong at the end of the season. He'll be a bit more relaxed knowing that he has no chance from the start.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Merc was a decent car at the start of the sesaon and it's not nearly as bad as 9th or 11th fastest car.

The Merc had the best engine, but appalling aero. Hamilton is probably one of the best drivers to get the most from that.

However, to stand any kind of chance Mercedes needs to improve grip.

Cheers

Some drivers just appear to be able to settle in a new car quickly. If Hamilton can do that after joining McLaren as Alonso's team mate he can certainly do it at Mercedes with Rosberg.
You do realize that Hamilton was practically McLarens own son to begin with, having had a deal with the team since 1998?
He no doubt had his input on what kind of behaviour he wants from the car put into the car for his first season, as both were driving for the first season in McLaren F1 team, but only one came from outside.

Kimi's helmet for Season 2013

1587829-max994x592.jpg

1587830-max994x592.jpg

1587858-max994x592.jpg

You do realize that Hamilton was practically McLarens own son to begin with, having had a deal with the team since 1998?
He no doubt had his input on what kind of behaviour he wants from the car put into the car for his first season, as both were driving for the first season in McLaren F1 team, but only one came from outside.

So what are you saying, Rosberg will outrace and outpoint Hamilton this season? I'm willing to bet against that.

Kimi's helmet for Season 2013

Nice helmet for sure.

So what are you saying, Rosberg will outrace and outpoint Hamilton this season? I'm willing to bet against that.
No, I'm saying that while Hamilton did have to "get used to new car quickly", he had the car developed more to his liking to start with than Alonso who came from outside the team.
What happens between Rosberg and Hamilton remains to be seen.

Absolute rubbish.

So McLaren designed their car for a rookie and not the double world champion.

Sometimes, Kaotik, you go way too far with this BS.

Absolute rubbish.

So McLaren designed their car for a rookie and not the double world champion.

Sometimes, Kaotik, you go way too far with this BS.

I'm not saying they designed it solely for Hamilton, I said he had more input on it simply because he already was part of the McLaren family.

How exactly would McLaren design a car, which is designed during previous season for most parts, for the (forthcoming double, at that moment single) world champion when he works for another team and can't give real input for McLaren engineers and designers?

Use some common sense before you go accusing others of BS :rolleyes:

I'm not saying they designed it solely for Hamilton, I said he had more input on it simply because he already was part of the McLaren family.

How exactly would McLaren design a car, which is designed during previous season for most parts, for the (forthcoming double, at that moment single) world champion when he works for another team and can't give real input for McLaren engineers and designers?

Use some common sense before you go accusing others of BS :rolleyes:

Much the same way Mercedes will have designed the car for Hamilton, despite him only joining them since mid-december-ish.

You know what the driver likes through contract negotiations, you build the car that way and when they finally join you you get them sitting in the simulator for hours on end ironing out whats wrong with it and make it better for them.

The only thing that stopped Alonso waling away with the title that year was Hamilton being better than he expected.

You can only make so many changes in little time, and Rosberg will definitely have had more input on the next season car than Hamilton (though who's to say, maybe they like similar things, or complete opposites)

Maybe so but the car will be designed to suit Hamilton, it will be on the edge and changes he's telling them will take priority over roseberg.

Maybe so but the car will be designed to suit Hamilton, it will be on the edge and changes he's telling them will take priority over roseberg.

So Hamilton joins the sad little group of champions with a clause in their contract that guarantees them nr. 1 position in team? sad. simply sad.

So Hamilton joins the sad little group of champions with a clause in their contract that guarantees them nr. 1 position in team? sad. simply sad.

Small? How many past champions weren't the number 1 driver on their team? I think the last time I can recall that being the case was when Prost and Senna were on the same team. And Senna ended up winning the championship despite Prost being the number 1 driver.

It doesn't matter if a contract guarantees it or not. Any top driver going to a team will likely know ahead of time whether he'll be their top driver or not.

Regards,
SB

Small? How many past champions weren't the number 1 driver on their team? I think the last time I can recall that being the case was when Prost and Senna were on the same team. And Senna ended up winning the championship despite Prost being the number 1 driver.

It doesn't matter if a contract guarantees it or not. Any top driver going to a team will likely know ahead of time whether he'll be their top driver or not.

Regards,
SB

Did I say small? But at least Button, Häkkinen and Räikkönen haven't been known for having clear nr 1 spot 'till the teammate hasn't had mathematical chance for championship (aside from Häkkinen's & Coulthards own deal back in the day where they agreed on 1 race that whichever gets to 1st corner first, gets to win without the other trying to pass him). and I doubt Villeneuve and Hill had any contract for definite nr.1 driver spot

Are you seriously trying to say that Hakkinen didn't have #1 spot at McLaren?

Coulthard outperformed Hakkinen for the first two seasons they raced and it was only after Hakkinen got made #1 that he went on to be champion. When Hakkinen's chance of winning was over Coulthard beat him again. 6 seasons together and Coulthard equalled or beat him in 3? We're talking about David Coulthard here, not Michael Schumacher.

Hakkinen is right up there with the worst world champions in the history of the sport. He's there alongside Villeneuve, Damon Hill and Raikonnen as the least deserving world champions.

Raikkonen isn't good enough to make himself a clear #1 or he would be at Lotus. Grosjean is faster and will probably beat him in most races this season (if he's calmed down a bit).

Last edited by a moderator:
So when the Hamilton hating ends who's up for a game of spot the difference with McLaren's 'new' car.

In fact we can play it with every car, as there won't be any major changes anywhere.

Are you seriously trying to say that Hakkinen didn't have #1 spot at McLaren?

Coulthard outperformed Hakkinen for the first two seasons they raced and it was only after Hakkinen got made #1 that he went on to be champion. When Hakkinen's chance of winning was over Coulthard beat him again. 6 seasons together and Coulthard equalled or beat him in 3? We're talking about David Coulthard here, not Michael Schumacher.

Hakkinen is right up there with the worst world champions in the history of the sport. He's there alongside Villeneuve, Damon Hill and Raikonnen as the least deserving world champions.

Raikkonen isn't good enough to make himself a clear #1 or he would be at Lotus. Grosjean is faster and will probably beat him in most races this season (if he's calmed down a bit).
Yet Schumacher is the one saying Häkkinen was his only true competitor, and that's not talking about the car. And yes, I claim that Coulthard and Häkkinen were treated the same.

Räikkönen not good enough? You don't end up 3rd in championship with car averaging about 4th best when there's 2 drivers in each team.

It starts to sound like for you anything coming from Finland can't be good.

Also Jimbos 3-3 is not correct. It was 4-2 for Häkkinen. There were also multiple 1-2 finishes for Mclaren where Coulthard won during their years, but expecting more from jimbo is a lost cause, like these threads in general seem to be.

Back