Formula 1 - 2013 Season

Mercedes want to replace team principal Ross Brawn as part of a restructure aimed at improving the team's performance.

Does this mean there is something wrong with the 2013 Mercedes? More uncertainty could mean more bad news but look how Williams turned around their performance recently.

If they want to claim green they should have the teams travel from race to race by sailboat. It would save about 1000x the hydrocarbons of anything they do with the cars.

The whole F1 needs to be green is bullshit anyway. Besides that the general public, and certainly the F1 public couldnt care less, they way they go about it is all wrong as well. Given the power output of the engines even the current v8 engines, never really designed to be exactly fuel efficient, aren't that fuel inefficient. Lets just forget about the world wide travelling of all the crew, cargo and fans, which is causes far more pollution that the cars will ever do in a million years, how about the rest of the car? So the engine has to be greener. Great. Teams still run windtunnels and CFD farms 24/7 not to mention all the parts that are used only a very limited number of times.

Wouldnt be surprised if the engines actually turn out to be one of the greener parts of the car.

Anyway, never mind all that, if they want F1 to be green to should just give everybody a aero package that can't be changed and open up the engine rules. Everything goes as long as you don't use more than a x amount of fuel. That would be far better than what they do now. Which is basically limiting everything so teams still won't try and find the best solution they can.

The whole F1 needs to be green is bullshit anyway.

No it isn't. It is the primary motivator for factory teams to join F1 again. Green technology pioneered in F1 can find use in regular cars.

Besides that the general public, and certainly the F1 public couldnt care less, they way they go about it is all wrong as well. Given the power output of the engines even the current v8 engines, never really designed to be exactly fuel efficient, aren't that fuel inefficient.

F1 engines are very fuel efficient. Not measured in miles per hour, but in themo-dynamical efficiency (converting fuel to kinetic energy).

Cheers

If they want to claim green they should have the teams travel from race to race by sailboat. It would save about 1000x the hydrocarbons of anything they do with the cars.
I had thought I read a piece a long time ago that FOM purchase carbon offset credits for the air travel they do. A number of teams are "cleaning themselves up" further, with McLaren being credited as being carbon neutral a number of years back and Sauber last year.

That's a safe bet, he was only on the podium 7 times in 2012. I think only Alonso made it on more than half the races.

Most podium places last season:
1. Alonso 13
1. Vettel 10
3. Räikkönen 7
3. Hamilton 7
5. Button 6

Last edited by a moderator:
The new Lotus - somewhere it was mentioned that the nose might not be final, though

1587080-max994x592.jpg

Launch:

Only by chance... I wouldn't expect him even on podium in most of the times.

Hamilton has outperformed in a lot worse cars than Mercedes. If anyone will win by "chance" or "luck" or just for being the best on that day it'll be him. Rosberg managed it in 2012, Hamilton will show everyone just how good he is in 2013 when he puts Rosberg to shame.

That's a safe bet, he was only on the podium 7 times in 2012. I think only Alonso made it on more than half the races.

I would bet my life on Hamilton being on the podium more than one time in 2013 as well.

Hamilton has outperformed in a lot worse cars than Mercedes. If anyone will win by "chance" or "luck" or just for being the best on that day it'll be him. Rosberg managed it in 2012, Hamilton will show everyone just how good he is in 2013 when he puts Rosberg to shame.
LOL, you're actually claiming McLaren during Hamiltons years has ever been worse than Mercedes? :rolleyes: :LOL:

LOL, you're actually claiming McLaren during Hamiltons years has ever been worse than Mercedes? :rolleyes: :LOL:

Well that depends, are we talking about Brawn (Mercedes) who won in 2007 vs McLaren who were shocking in 2009?

Hamilton will win at least one race and finish on the podium at least twice in 2013. I am quite happy to put my neck on the line here with that statement - please tag for great justice. :D

I sometimes wonder if people really realise just how incredibly fast Hamilton is. Obviously too many don't, and the great thing about 2013 season is you'll be left staggered and in no doubt about it. He'll be four tenths faster than Rosberg in qualifying from the first race.

Yeah I'm sure Hamilton is so fast the laws of physics don't apply to him. Doesn't matter that the Mercedes is the 7th fastest car on a good day, and more like the 9th or 11th fastest on most.

The Merc just isn't a very fast car. Maybe they did a better job for 2013 but it has to be much better if Hamilton is going to win a race for any other reason than pure luck.

Maybe Ham knows something about the new engine which helped him to decide so radical change in the negative direction... From one of the top teams to the mid grid. Usually it is accepted people go in the opposite direction.
But still, I don't quite get it since McLaren are supposed to use the same engine.

Well that depends, are we talking about Brawn (Mercedes) who won in 2007 vs McLaren who were shocking in 2009?
Brawn wasn't Mercedes. Also Brawn was in 2009, not 2007, and McLaren was 3rd after Brawn & Red Bull in 2009. In 2007 McLaren was fastest or tied on fastest with Ferrari, but got disqualified for industrial espionage.
Hamilton will win at least one race and finish on the podium at least twice in 2013. I am quite happy to put my neck on the line here with that statement - please tag for great justice. :D

I sometimes wonder if people really realise just how incredibly fast Hamilton is. Obviously too many don't, and the great thing about 2013 season is you'll be left staggered and in no doubt about it. He'll be four tenths faster than Rosberg in qualifying from the first race.
Hamilton is no doubt fast, but claiming he's somehow faster than the rest of the few top drivers is just ridicilous.

I want to see your face if/when Rosberg actually beats Hamilton on average, not just first quali or race :LOL:

Actually, Rosberg has the huge advantage of working with the team and the car for muuuch longer period of time. And despite that some may argue that Ham is the fastest driver out there, it will hardly turn the things in his direction.

Actually, Rosberg has the huge advantage of working with the team and the car for muuuch longer period of time. And despite that some may argue that Ham is the fastest driver out there, it will hardly turn the things in his direction.
Massa had that at Ferrari. Didn't really help him. I think Hamilton can do really well at Mercedes if the car is up to snuff or there and thereabouts.

Massa had that at Ferrari. Didn't really help him. I think Hamilton can do really well at Mercedes if the car is up to snuff or there and thereabouts.

Unfortunately, Massa has always been the second driver and it's a very high psychological weight which prevents him from showing his best.

Back