Formula 1 - 2013 Season

Great pass by Alonso again, 2nd is the best he could possibly have got today.

Jesus that was close :p Hamilton not giving up.

I wonder how many more hits Alonsos rear tire can take before his luck runs out, 2 so far

Frightening Red Bull pace here. Alonso needs to sort out his qualifying if he's going to have a chance of winning these kind of races.

Yeah it was a bit stupid and he got a drive-through for it which cost him a couple of places. I don't think it would have mattered as Alonso would probably have taken Hamilton on the next lap anyway.

Yeah it was a bit stupid and he got a drive-through for it which cost him a couple of places. I don't think it would have mattered as Alonso would probably have taken Hamilton on the next lap anyway.

Still, old good friends behaving like that ... It was obvious to me Sutil was trying to hold Hamilton so that Alonso gets into DRS zone. We might get few more on track fireworks from both of them in coming races if Force India team can't calm Adrian a bit.

TBH - I thought Hamilton stayed behind Sutil on purpose to be able to use DRS as well, which made me wonder: How bad would it be for Sutil if I actually wanted to make room but Hamilton never closed the gap and then he gets a penality for it?

Blue flags are clear, but IMO, it's not the point to actually brake and let the others past, but rather just make room? It was hard to judge if Hamilton really wanted to get past or not, but I felt that Hamilton had not *really* closed the gap until the DRS zone.

Did Sutil say anything post-race?

Vettel untouchable, Kimi nowhere, Alonso minimises points loss, Di Resta with great tyrem management, Massa showed some spirit after his crash.

RIP the marshal who died after being run over by the recovery vehicle which craned Gutierrez' Sauber. A tragic accident.

Vettel untouchable, Kimi nowhere, Alonso minimises points loss, Di Resta with great tyrem management, Massa showed some spirit after his crash.

RIP the marshal who died after being run over by the recovery vehicle which craned Gutierrez' Sauber. A tragic accident.

Think alonso would've given him a challenge if he was behind him and not Hamilton amd Rosberg. Would've been a different race if Hamilton got pole. Alonso would've won then I think.

TBH - I thought Hamilton stayed behind Sutil on purpose to be able to use DRS as well, which made me wonder: How bad would it be for Sutil if I actually wanted to make room but Hamilton never closed the gap and then he gets a penality for it?

Blue flags are clear, but IMO, it's not the point to actually brake and let the others past, but rather just make room? It was hard to judge if Hamilton really wanted to get past or not, but I felt that Hamilton had not *really* closed the gap until the DRS zone.

Did Sutil say anything post-race?

Sutil was fuming at inconsistent marshalling, as he said he spend few laps behind lapped cars before they let him go without any penalty and here he gets one after 4 corners (3 corners limit under blue flag).

Maybe he should've used his radio.

Like Lewes did?
I'm not a fan of blue flags at all. With current regulations I have nothing against Sutil's penalty as it was earned, but there are a lot of racing situations where lapped car is loosing lots of time and positions because they have to let go leaders and slow down. I think that if the leader is so much faster to lap a car it should have no problem overtaking it on the track properly. It would add extra dimension to current racing and I'm sure there are ways of regulating it in a way lapped car can't use robust defence against faster car and for instance can only stay on racing line or move out of it while defending without coming back to it just before corner.

Like Lewes did?
I'm not a fan of blue flags at all. With current regulations I have nothing against Sutil's penalty as it was earned, but there are a lot of racing situations where lapped car is loosing lots of time and positions because they have to let go leaders and slow down. I think that if the leader is so much faster to lap a car it should have no problem overtaking it on the track properly. It would add extra dimension to current racing and I'm sure there are ways of regulating it in a way lapped car can't use robust defence against faster car and for instance can only stay on racing line or move out of it while defending without coming back to it just before corner.

I don't necessarely disagree, although then you might end up like a potential situation like yesterday when Hamilton closed in on Massa who was being lapped while having Alonso in his rear-mirror. If you get rid of the blue-flag rule, then effectively, you could end up in a situation where one might help his team-mate by blocking his rival who's a lap ahead. That shouldn't be allowed to happen.

I don't necessarely disagree, although then you might end up like a potential situation like yesterday when Hamilton closed in on Massa who was being lapped while having Alonso in his rear-mirror. If you get rid of the blue-flag rule, then effectively, you could end up in a situation where one might help his team-mate by blocking his rival who's a lap ahead. That shouldn't be allowed to happen.

Good point.
It's not an easy problem to solve and as long as cars can unlap themselves without any problem it's acceptable. What I would not like is situation where lapped car which is faster can't overtake because in one sector he will be slowing down competitor and forced to give back the place anyway.

Back