Formula 1 - 2013 Season

Who in history has been so close to winning the championship with a car that was so lowly regarded? Had he gone to RB he'd be a 5 or 6 times champion already.

Who in history has been so close to winning the championship with such a poor qualifying car?

Also next year DRS in qualifying has to follow the race DRS track sections.

Who in history has been so close to winning the championship with a car that was so lowly regarded? Had he gone to RB he'd be a 5 or 6 times champion already.

Considering the extreme reliability, it's not that surprising that one gets as high as he did on the championship, with Ferrari race tactic gurus and pitcrew Kimi would have been there with him fighting Vettel for the championship with the slow but reliable Lotus

Last edited by a moderator:
A reliable car doesn't stop you from getting bumped off the track at the first corner however. You're much more likely to win a championship with a pole winning car that doesn't have those problems, which is basically what Vettel has had for the past 3 years and Alonso has rarely had.

A reliable car doesn't stop you from getting bumped off the track at the first corner however. You're much more likely to win a championship with a pole winning car that doesn't have those problems, which is basically what Vettel has had for the past 3 years and Alonso has rarely had.

Of course it's easier from the first row, Alonso had car capable of getting 1st row positions on both of his championship seasons and the following McLaren season. In addition to having fast car on those seasons, he also had the most reliable car at least on the championship seasons, if not McLaren year too.

Of course it's easier from the first row, Alonso had car capable of getting 1st row positions on both of his championship seasons and the following McLaren season. In addition to having fast car on those seasons, he also had the most reliable car at least on the championship seasons, if not McLaren year too.
That makes him almost winning this year an even greater achievement. :devilish:

That makes him almost winning this year an even greater achievement. :devilish:

Yes, he did well and no-one is denying that, the 4 best all showed why they're the 4 best, Vettel, Alonso, Räikkönen and Hamilton all performed extremely well given the circumstances - only Hamilton didn't manage to beat his team mate silly, but then again he DNF'd 2 times more than Button.

The biggest point this season IMO was the fact that having the fastest car isn't the only thing that matters, Lotus and Ferrari were clearly out of pace compared to McLaren and Red Bull, but they were reliable and kept in championship battle almost to the end both of them.

I'm just hoping whoever was responsible for Lotus race tactics isn't doing it the next season, and that their pitcrew manages to squeeze that 0.5sec out of pitstops they were losing to other top teams

Yes, he did well and no-one is denying that, the 4 best all showed why they're the 4 best, Vettel, Alonso, Räikkönen and Hamilton all performed extremely well given the circumstances - only Hamilton didn't manage to beat his team mate silly, but then again he DNF'd 2 times more than Button.

The biggest point this season IMO was the fact that having the fastest car isn't the only thing that matters, Lotus and Ferrari were clearly out of pace compared to McLaren and Red Bull, but they were reliable and kept in championship battle almost to the end both of them.

I'm just hoping whoever was responsible for Lotus race tactics isn't doing it the next season, and that their pitcrew manages to squeeze that 0.5sec out of pitstops they were losing to other top teams
I think the Enstone team needs to lose the Lotus moniker, especially since Lotus isn't involved anymore. But I agree, and I like the team. It is a good team and with the funding, they can do stuff. They can win races and fight for the championship, and especially if Kimi can keep his game up. He's been great this year, a really fantastic comeback.

heres the all time top 20 according to the bbc

Number 1 - Ayrton Senna
Number 2 - Juan Manuel Fangio
Number 3 - Jim Clark
Number 4 - Michael Schumacher
Number 5 - Alain Prost
Number 6 - Stirling Moss
Number 7 - Jackie Stewart
Number 8 - Sebastian Vettel
Number 9 - Niki Lauda
Number 10 - Fernando Alonso
Number 11 – Alberto Ascari
Number 12 - Gilles Villeneuve
Number 13 - Nigel Mansell
Number 14 - Mika Hakkinen
Number 15 - Lewis Hamilton
Number 16 - Nelson Piquet
Number 17 - Emerson Fittipaldi
Number 18 - Jack Brabham
Number 19 - Graham Hill
Number 20 - Jochen Rindt

I honestly don't understand Hamilton nor Alonso on that list, sure they're great drivers and belong to top-4 at the moment, but they haven't earned the top 20 spots yet, not by a long shot, just like Kimi and Vettel haven't earned their spots yet (if they ever will)

I honestly don't understand Hamilton nor Alonso on that list, sure they're great drivers and belong to top-4 at the moment, but they haven't earned the top 20 spots yet, not by a long shot, just like Kimi and Vettel haven't earned their spots yet (if they ever will)

Vettel is one of the top 9 people in terms of number of championships won, I'm not sure what more he can do to earn his spot.

Vettel is one of the top 9 people in terms of number of championships won, I'm not sure what more he can do to earn his spot.

There's always more to it than just winning championships, we'll hopefully see in few years what the guy is really made of when others catch Red Bull on not only speed but reliability

Hamilton has the same number of championships as Mansell, and has been close on about the same number of championships. Alonso has 2 that should really be 4 and would have been 6 had he been at another team.

Of course they both deserve to be in the top 20. The main problem with the list is that Vettel was chosen on what he will probably do in future (Alonso was leading this years championship when both were included in the top 10 btw). The bbc got pelters for putting him ahead of Alonso, that was easily the most contentious point on the whole list.

Vettel does deserve to be in the top 10, but he should have swapped places with Alonso.

Like I said, when the were both added to the list, Alonso was well ahead in this years championship and odds-on to win it. How on earth could anyone put Vettel ahead of him at that time when they both had 2 championships yet Vettel's were both done in an unstoppable car?

Alonso has 2 that should really be 4 and would have been 6 had he been at another team.
These are all ifs and buts, Kimi has 1 but should have 3, McLaren just couldn't build a car that wouldn't break up half the races.

I think if they did a poll of luckiest drivers vettel will be number one for sure.

He would not be triple world champion if it wasn't for Newey and I don't think anyone could really argue otherwise. He needs a clear car.advantage to win when he doesn't have it he cannot compete. As long as Newey designs his cars he may break every record going but it will never make him the best. Let's see him drag a car that is awful to the podium or even a victory. ON MERIT. Like Alonso this year or Hamilton when they first introduced Kers. Then we will be able to measure the greatness (or not) of the man.

Luca's response to criticism from bernie

Di Montezemolo, 65, said: "We must respect the elderly, especially when they can no longer control their words. :D

Luca's response to criticism from bernie

Di Montezemolo, 65, said: "We must respect the elderly, especially when they can no longer control their words. :D

That's old already, Ecclestone already whipped back with "He's right about my age, I'm 82 and there's nothing I can do about it. Luca has often said he can't remember what he has said earlier, and he's 17 years younger than me - god only knows what happens when he's 82." :D

Back