Final Fantasy XIII [PS3, X360]

According to Microsoft
Controller worth $60
Wireless adapter worth $100

The wireless adapter would make it a better deal but I think it is obvious why the choose to not include it.

The chances of people buying additional controller is quite high, but the chances of people buying the overpriced Wireless adapter is quite low. So I think MS loses sales here. I also think that the extra controller is more useful to the majority of consumers.

Wait for X10. I'm sure MS will have something to talk about with FFXIII. If not a bundle, then something to do with faceplates or getting early access to FFXIII demo.

S-E always mentions equilibrium. Yeah right.

http://www.siliconera.com/2010/02/11/kitase-interested-in-stereoscopic-3d-final-fantasy-xiii/

“We don’t know how possible it is to build the game in 3D but we are interested in it,” Yoshinori Kitase, Producer, responded to a forum poster.

“In fact, we have already created a 3D Final Fantasy XIII trailer, which is currently showing in Japanese cinemas alongside the film Avatar. Currently, that’s only available in Japan, but there might be an opportunity for a wider release in the future.”

EDIT: Funny Yoichi Wada tweets:
http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/2010/02/11/yoichi_wada_memes/

FFXIII Launch Interview @ Eurogamer:
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/final-fantasy-xiii-launch-interview

Turn your head away if you want to avoid spoilers:

"As you may know," says game director Motomu Toriyama, in London to promote the launch, "this game comprises two worlds, one is Cocoon which is a futuristic city, and the other is Pulse on the ground, which is a more primitive world where there are really dinosaur-like monsters hovering around.

"When you are still in Cocoon the gameplay is still quite story-driven, and our intention is, by doing so, we allow the players to learn the basic operation of the game and to discover the basic story, the basic concept of the game. So it's a sort of intuitive stage in the game. Indeed, it's understandable some people might call it linear. That's where that comes from.

"But in the second half, once you get down to Pulse, it's quite free gameplay, it opens out. So if you like that particular game style, maybe you should be a little bit patient."

"You mentioned linearity earlier - as Toriyama-san said, that's intended to draw new gamers into the story and allow them to learn how it works," he counters. "And also the battle scenes - when we, well not this team, but when the company produced XII, some people said OK, well it was very seamless but it wasn't all that spectacular, the wow factor was missing.

"We took that to heart. We thought we wanted to create something visually really impressive and something really exciting. So for example, in XIII as opposed to XII, you actually have to encounter the group of monsters to go into the battle. We would have thought that would appeal more to Western gamers than Japanese gamers. There are elements that we still hope will appeal greatly to Western RPG gamers."

OK, my launch X360 still hasn't failed (damnit!!!), but I may have to dump my original plan to wait for it to fail before getting a unit with HDMI.

That FFXIII bundle looks pretty good, and I've always been a fan of the series, even if some were a tad disappointing. I think if the designer faceplate is nice I might just get the bundle (assuming it doesn't sell out before I decide). Plus I prefer the white look to the black look of the current elites. :)

Regards,
SB

PS3 user questions answered:
http://blog.us.playstation.com/2010/02/final-fantasy-xiii-your-questions-answered/

The questions were posted to Square-Enix at the beginning of the week.

PSB: With western RPGs becoming so popular, how were you influenced in Final Fantasy XIII to encompass all audiences? – via DMPrince
Kitase/Toriyama: No games were a direct influence in particular, but we definitely looked at the FPS genre and other Western games to incorporate more speed and increase the pace of gameplay in Final Fantasy XIII. In terms of the FPS genre influence, the story progression of FFXIII is very similar to that (FPS) genre in the sense that different challenges and situations are presented to the character one after the other. That’s how they progress in the storyline.

Do you think that the idea of RPGs from the 80s and 90s being wide open is a dated stereotype?
There’s sort of a template to the RPG system, traditionally, where players would go to the town and find out information through text, leave town to fight monsters and then come back to town and buy health and items, etc. FFXIII didn’t really look for some sort of template to follow, but we tried to go out and create and set a new trend for RPGs. So there isn’t really a thought to stick to tradition.

Any news on Agito or Versus?
No set date yet, so you can keep on the lookout for new information. And though we can’t really go into detail, a quick overview of the status of development; 100-200 staff members from FFXIII are now finished with the game, and all the people that have been working on it, they have all this knowledge of PS3 tech (and PSP) and they can bring it to these different teams and the development speed will probably increase.

Evidently Euros will get 2 FFXIII 360 bundles...

• Special Edition White SKU like the US with all the same stuff
  • Elite Black SKU with 1 controller, no visible markings & 120gb hard drive

No pricing, but I would hope it's cheaper.

http://kotaku.com/5470867/europe-gets-two-final-fantasy-xiii-xbox-bundles
500x_bundle.jpg

Tommy McClain

From the Kotaku link above, here's the faceplate on the system...
So only useful for users who keep it upright... :| Maybe they should include a couple different ones or heck... even a console skin that's more elaborate (and much larger). :p

From the Kotaku link above, here's the faceplate on the system...

Tommy McClain

Hmmm, me likey the faceplate, but vertical only orientation. Now, to see if I can figure out an inventive place to have my X360 vertical. :p Would have been neat if they could have done designer graphics on the controllers also. I think I would have spazzed.

Regards,
SB

Hmmm, me likey the faceplate, but vertical only orientation. Now, to see if I can figure out an inventive place to have my X360 vertical. :p Would have been neat if they could have done designer graphics on the controllers also. I think I would have spazzed.

Regards,
SB

Don't do it! 360's don't like being vertical, and your game discs will like it even less.

Don't do it! 360's don't like being vertical, and your game discs will like it even less.

No problem with mine after years of use; however, I install everything to the HDD, so the optical disc is only accessed once for 10 minutes per game, then a brief spinup at launch.

Back