Final Fantasy XIII [PS3, X360]

The countdown on the SE FFXIII US site would appear to be just simply the release of a trailer. I'm basing that on the equivalent SE JP site, which states "Trailer Open", with the same count down. I haven't seen any news in regards to whether or not its a new trailer or just one that hasn't be released publicly yet (outside of TGS and the Cloud magazine).

I have to say that I really enjoy the music on the SE JP site. Is that an original piece?

Last edited by a moderator:
The countdown on the SE FFXIII US site would appear to be just simply the release of a trailer. I'm basing that on the equivalent SE JP site, which states "Trailer Open", with the same count down. I haven't seen any news in regards to whether or not its a new trailer or just one that hasn't be released publicly yet (outside of TGS and the Cloud magazine).

I have to say that I really enjoy the music on the SE JP site. Is that an original piece?

The trailer is now live on both sites.

SE FFXIII International Site

SE FFXIII JP Site

From what I can tell, it looks new. It even has some gameplay battle footage. The JP site has a higher quality version available, while the international site has subtitles.

The non-CGI stuff looks absolutely mediocre.

Animation is clunky.
Basic shadows.
Lighting is extremely primitive.

It looks like are just using a Capcom style crossplatform lowest common denominator engine. Most likely doing development primarily on PCs with everything running on just the PS3's PPU.

I think the real-time parts look great personally, particularly in cut-scenes (in fact I took a double take in some sections to check if they were actually real-time), but the animation is the unfortunate aspect. Of course, I'd be shocked if they aren't working hard at that as we speak.

Much like FFX - the cutscenes are far and away beyond the game and make for great but misleading promotional material.

The real-time parts look good, it's the framerate that sucks.

Really? It looks alright - the visuals (ignoring framerate) certainly don't look anything spectacular compared to many other games this gen. In fact, I'd say the battle scenes look in worse generally than most of Capcom's Framework games, which is odd given there's only going to be a handful of characters on screen at any one time, and not much room for environmental detail. I would hope they can increase the framerate before release, since its usually the last thing to be improved.

I'm extremely disappointed in the graphical quality - but like all JRPGs it's very easy to forgive if the gameplay and story are solid. Not so much the other way around!

Really? It looks alright - the visuals (ignoring framerate) certainly don't look anything spectacular compared to many other games this gen. In fact, I'd say the battle scenes look in worse generally than most of Capcom's Framework games, which is odd given there's only going to be a handful of characters on screen at any one time, and not much room for environmental detail. I would hope they can increase the framerate before release, since its usually the last thing to be improved.
Heh, seems like my "good" is equivalent to your "alright" since I agree with you :smile:

I didn't expected much given that other than Capcom, all Japanese developers have underperformed this gen graphics-wise.

the videos were great, the ingame graphics dont come any where near. its like doom3->doom2.

Ive never played a FF game (or even seen one before in the flesh) so I cant understand the hype, perhaps the actual gameplay is brilliant, but the ingame graphics certainly arent worth writing home about.
OK compared to other titles they do stackup quite well but the thing is other titles dont have the budget/hype of FF.

Back