Final Fantasy XIII [PS3, X360]

Don't get me wrong, I think the game looks nice and I won't take anything away from the developers. It is technically sound (sans the frame-rate) and it is of top notch presentation. But if we're to be a little more critical with regards to some of the graphical expectations of the game as a culmination of all factors since announcement in 2005, it doesn't do much out of the ordinary or particularly big over what we've seen.

The hair is the most impressive I've seen rendered in a game, other than that particles are 'there', but don't have a soft appearance, they're also pretty static in animation where today games are applying some level of physics based on different factors. The shadows & lighting aren't very dynamic and the textures whilst beautifully designed, we can't say from current observation they pushing a lot shaderwise in that area; although I was impressed by the finer details of fabric Square-Enix applied on some of the clothing. That said, the cloth physics; I might have expected a little more. Post-processing? Well I saw a little depth of field.

Multi-platform or not, its showing good, solid graphics and wonderful art, but nothing too spectacular on a technical level. There are a lot of common effects used in an everyday type of way. But hey I'm pretty critical when I get on a role about visuals :LOL:

Even if they don't show off significantly more advanced scenes later on, it won't stop me from enjoying the graphics as is.
It's this suppose to be native 1080p? If so, color me impressed.

It's this suppose to be native 1080p? If so, color me impressed.
I'd automatically assume 720p as that's really the sweet spot this generation, but I haven't heard any confirmation.

On a side note, I'd rather they pushed for FX than resolution.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, FFXII had rough spots too (the snow areas) but some were absolutely stunning, and I expect the same of FFXIII. Overall I was impressed, but remember, this was just a battle sequence, I think it will impress far more when you are given more control over the camera and character. Everything in the trailer was far too fast paced to really get a feel for it. Certainly one of the better (best?) looking JRPG's on the market.

I'd automatically assume 720p as that's really the sweet spot this generation, but I haven't heard any confirmation.

On a side note, I'd rather they pushed for FX than resolution.

I would assume 720p as well because I personally dont think it is possible to do 1080p at a high level with these consoles on a lot of these super pretty complicated looking video games. My 2 cents.

The trailer for the demo is now up on the US and JP PSNs as well. The US and JP PSNs only have the 720p version available for some reason, although the JP version has a higher average bitrate (9 vs 6).

The JP PSN also has the trailer for Advent Children Complete (ACC). The ACC trailer seems to highlight quite a bit of new footage.

I would assume 720p as well because I personally dont think it is possible to do 1080p at a high level with these consoles on a lot of these super pretty complicated looking video games. My 2 cents.
Yes, you really have to worry about doubling on on the fillrate, memory and possibly storage demands. Talking about the issues with 1080p on these consoles and the upscale debate, its one of the reasons I'm keeping a close eye on the elusive WarDevil game, it will be interesting to see how far 7th gen development has come.

When is this demo supposed to release again? I plan on importing the BD (for the demo).

Kind of peeved that the film will have english voices, but no english subtitles. I really wanted jpn voices + eng subs...

Some new info on the game:

http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3173643

I find it interesting that you recover HP after every battle. Hopefully this means that every battle will be a challenge.

Overall, I'm very excited for this game after hearing all this new news. It seems SE wants to push the JRPG genre forward and I commend them for it.

Any recommendations where to order this movie? I just want the demo! :p

I need a site which sends stuff to Europe/Finland.

Seems that the game supports 1080p, I don't think you can upscale from 1280 x 720 on the PS3 so I'm wondering whether the game runs at a lower resolution like MGS4 or just uses the 960 x 1080 method. It may even run at native 1080p but I doubt it.

The alternative would be a software upscale of the front buffer. Anyways, this recent IGN article mentions 720p & 30fps.

The game will output at 720p and 30 frames per second.

I'm hoping IGN didn't misquote them... as we've come to scrutinize things here, outputting and rendering are two different things. ;)

I find it interesting that you recover HP after every battle. Hopefully this means that every battle will be a challenge.

A year ago, I would have looked down on this, but after having played both Eps of the Penny Arcade Adventures, I can say that I don't mind at all. It lets me play more for leisure while enjoying the story and combat, and not worrying about silly menu driven management, etc.

On a side note: I'm on the fence with AC: Complete. Does anyone know if the BRD will have JPN (audio) with English Subs? If not, i won't purchase.

If it does...so bought!

According to OPM UK Square is aiming for an international release within 6 months of the JP release. Apparently, they started working with the localization teams much earlier in the production cycle than normal.

A few rough translations of some recent Japanese articles have also stated that NPCs will be voiced and that the audio will be proximity based (for the NPC's dialogue, that is). I thought that was interesting. That's yet to be confirmed, though, as far as I know.

Just placed my order on Amazon. I dont know if that will have the game demo in it though.

And thanks for that link Gradthrawn...what I dont understand is the utilization stats that he was throwing out...demo is going to be 50% and the final game a 100%...what does that mean? And also its interesting to see time and time again people saying that the thing holding back PS3s are memory requirements! It is absolutely assinine for Sony to have put such little amount of memory in the console! I would like to know what they were thinking when they were designing the console. 512 mb is just not enough! Esp when its 256 + 256 with OS and other crap taking up the already valuable ram.

Same thing withe the Sony Ericsson P990i, lack of memory killed what would otherwise have been a great phone!

Back