Final Fantasy XIII [PS3, X360]

It's a peculiar gamer that can claim to have never seen or played a game from a 20-year old franchise.

Heh, seems like my "good" is equivalent to your "alright" since I agree with you :smile:

I didn't expected much given that other than Capcom, all Japanese developers have underperformed this gen graphics-wise.
Yeah, but the gaming universe isn't just in Japan anymore - most of the biggest sellers on the HD machines (and games most people outside of Japan are playing) are by US/EU devs, so the standards shoud be much higher.

But like I said, I'm looking forward to the game itself. I loved Last Remnant, and that certainly had its share of graphical issues. I'm just a little confused on how anyone can say this game (graphically) looks anything other than "ok".

I have only played FF8 (Didn't finished it). Been staying away from FF games because of their great length.

hm well they are well worth the time you put into them! Usually with RPGs I play them for about 20 hours or so then put them down for a few weeks, pick them up again, play for another 20 hours or so, and eventually I beat it. Took me almost 1.5 years to finish persona 3 lol That was particularly long though at 105 hours.

Its still got a long time in developmentand with this in mind it looks great to me! battle system seems interesting, it seems to be turnbased with real-time action during the turns. I hated the combat in 12 so im glad its returning to turn based atleast a little..

I have only played FF8 (Didn't finished it). Been staying away from FF games because of their great length.

FF7 and FF10 are the only ones i played to completion. Hated FF8 myself so dont let that put you off FF alltogether, FF7 is my favourite game of all time!

I hope the combat is similar to FFXII. I really liked not having to deal with the trivial repetitive nature of FF titles in exchange for an action based system that gave me freedom to move around. One thing I would certainly improve though is actually make that freedom to move mean something. Often it didn't matter where you were in FFXII against some enemies that had extremely long ranged attacks, and to avoid them was rather difficult. Still, I hope the combat system is similar in some way shape or form (i.e. not making me rummage through dozens of menus over and over and over again during battle).

All that waiting for this?! The realtime stuff is truly disappointing, if you bother to separate the art from the technology. I don't expect much of it to improve before launch either since the remaining time will probably be spent on finishing the narrative not reworking the technology.

Its still got a long time in developmentand with this in mind it looks great to me! battle system seems interesting, it seems to be turnbased with real-time action during the turns. I hated the combat in 12 so im glad its returning to turn based atleast a little..
It was possible to change the combat options between "active time battle" and turn based, if I recall correctly.

On second observation, the technology is a bit disappointing. But I do love the overall presentation (usually a given for Square-Enix titles).

On second observation, the technology is a bit disappointing. But I do love the overall presentation (usually a given for Square-Enix titles).

What's disappointing about the technology? The tech looks very good for a multi-platform rpg to me.

Perhaps I'm missing something.

What's disappointing about the technology? The tech looks very good for a multi-platform rpg to me.

Perhaps I'm missing something.
Don't get me wrong, I think the game looks nice and I won't take anything away from the developers. It is technically sound (sans the frame-rate) and it is of top notch presentation. But if we're to be a little more critical with regards to some of the graphical expectations of the game as a culmination of all factors since announcement in 2005, it doesn't do much out of the ordinary or particularly big over what we've seen.

The hair is the most impressive I've seen rendered in a game, other than that particles are 'there', but don't have a soft appearance, they're also pretty static in animation where today games are applying some level of physics based on different factors. The shadows & lighting aren't very dynamic and the textures whilst beautifully designed, we can't say from current observation they pushing a lot shaderwise in that area; although I was impressed by the finer details of fabric Square-Enix applied on some of the clothing. That said, the cloth physics; I might have expected a little more. Post-processing? Well I saw a little depth of field.

Multi-platform or not, its showing good, solid graphics and wonderful art, but nothing too spectacular on a technical level. There are a lot of common effects used in an everyday type of way. But hey I'm pretty critical when I get on a role about visuals :LOL:

Even if they don't show off significantly more advanced scenes later on, it won't stop me from enjoying the graphics as is.

Nano:

You're pretty rough dude :LOL:

In the context of its contemporaries in the genre I would say FFXIII is looking pretty good. Still, I'm sure we've only just begun to see anything at all really.

It's a peculiar gamer that can claim to have never seen or played a game from a 20-year old franchise.
im a peculiar person, how about WRT the consoles Ive only ever used a atari2600 + one on a plane (old nintendo I think the first one they brought out), I havent owned a TV for 9 years, or ever owned a mobilephone (apparently theres 4billion on the planet at the moment I recently heard), sent a textmessage, ... etc
Though I wouldnt classify myself as a luddite.
WRT this game, IM sort of the same opinion as Nano, yes it looks good, in fact better than the majority of its contemparies but its not like taken to the next level ( ie join the ranks of killzone2/uncharted + possibly alanwake ), you would expect more from a game of this prestige/budget

Nano:

You're pretty rough dude :LOL:

In the context of its contemporaries in the genre I would say FFXIII is looking pretty good. Still, I'm sure we've only just begun to see anything at all really.
I'm not as mean as I sound, promise! :p

I'm in my element when it comes to graphics tech and I'll often notice more what's missing than what's there especially if its something I might have liked to see for various reasons.

As a sum of all parts, FFXIII is probably the best looking RPG I've seen so far (combining this trailer and previous real-time scenes) and I can't wait for it, I'm just curious as to what level Sq-En will satisfy their 'photo-realistic CGI in real-time' claims when so many other huge devs are attempting that; re-thinking algorithms and all sorts.
suryad said:
I guess it will be even better to make a judgement about the game when the demo gets released.
Certainly, trailers & pics still ultimately give you just an idea.

God damn.

It looks brilliant. I downloaded the 1080p trailer and I couldnt believe my eyes. Some of the gameplay and real time cutscenes can be mistaken with the CGI.

Unbelievable work. The only problem with it is some slowdown during the fights and nothing more

Back