Final Fantasy XIII [PS3, X360]

Doesn't look too awe-inspiring just yet, I have to say.

Doesn't look too awe-inspiring just yet, I have to say.

Looks better than the other non-cell shaded JRPGs released so far (although LO wasn't too bad), but being multiplatform does tend to ratchet down excitement as well. I guess we will know more when it is released in 201x :LOL:

Looks better than the other non-cell shaded JRPGs released so far (although LO wasn't too bad), but being multiplatform does tend to ratchet down excitement as well. I guess we will know more when it is released in 201x :LOL:

It will be out in 2009 in Japan (I'm guessing November or something), and we'll have a demo in March, so we don't have to wait that long.

I'm just hoping it builds on FFXII, I loved that. But I'm thinking after FFXII (my favorite in terms of gameplay even though I played it relatively little, because I got the PS3 just after I got the game and I had a U.S. import version) pulled out the max out of the PS2, what the first FFXIII will get out of the PS3, and being developed the way it has been (starting out on PS2, then upgrading the graphics and shaders to PS3, then PC development, etc.), and with the demo and final game coming quite soon, I'm worried that the benchmarks that the previous games set for me on a platform (any platform they were released on actually), won't be achieved this time.

It will be interesting where this ends up, but if the team had been on the money, I think they would have invested all their time in creating something to follow up on Final Fantasy XI instead, because that's now so definitely the way of the future imho. Ah well, I don't know.

You know, between GTA IV and Final Fantasy series (and even Fable now from the looks of it), all these two games show me is that I miss adventure games of old. If modern technology would be put to good use to spice them up, then how cool would something like Leisure Suit Larry be today? (I wonder if people realise how much GTA IV and LSL have in common, even with the quarter century they have between them).

But that's a different topic, maybe worth a new thread.

I'm just hoping it builds on FFXII, I loved that.

Yasumi Matsuno directed Final Fantasy XII which explains echos of Vagrant Story in the game. Motomu Toriyama (X-2) and Tetsuya Nomura (VII, VIII and X) are among the principal drivers behind XIII so i'm not too sure the game will have much in common to its predecessor.

Not really sure if this content is allowed or not, since its not exactly a sanctioned release. Nonetheless, better to ask forgiveness than permission. :LOL: FFXIII and Versus DK3713 Trailers. All pre-rendered footage, but the dark theme of Versus has me excited.
All but the last few seconds are realtime ofeither trailers. I find the Vs13 realtime footage to be more impressive graphically, both Noctis and Stella looked more detailed especially the Hair and polycount. It's a shame it's still a long road ahead for release.

All but the last few seconds are realtime ofeither trailers. I find the Vs13 realtime footage to be more impressive graphically, both Noctis and Stella looked more detailed especially the Hair and polycount. It's a shame it's still a long road ahead for release.
It doesn't look like any part of either trailer is realtime.

I don't know if you can say any uses better tech, but I certainly like the art-style for Versus a lot more than FF XIII's. XIII's looks very generic in comparison.

I don't know if you can say any uses better tech, but I certainly like the art-style for Versus a lot more than FF XIII's. XIII's looks very generic in comparison.

Nomura is definetly trying new things with Versus 13's design, I really like the more realistic, mature looking and underworld-ish direction. It'll natrually draw players closer to the characters with the familiarity of the "real world", also the music score is simply beautiful, it fits the theme nicely and really shroud you inside that atmosphere.

All the scenes with "frozen waves" in XIII trailer are realtime, and the last scene in Versus XIII [girl watching the picture on the wall] is also realtime.

Im very impressed with Versus XIII. Awesome design and music.

In terms of graphics this game started off as a PS2 project.

Do you have a source for that?

FFXIII VS is coming to PS3 and PSP only, so no excuses for multi-platform compromises there.

Since when is Final Fantasy Versus XIII coming to PSP? Isn't it PS3 exclusive?

Final Fantasy Agito XIII is the game of the Fabula Nova Crystallis series that is coming to PSP, isn't it?

Last edited by a moderator:
I just cant wait till March LOL! I will have to splurge on a home theater setup just for these releases from Square!!!!!

Do you have a source for that?

I remember hearing/reading that the Crystal Tools/Engine, then the White Engine (IIRC), started off on the PS2, for FFXIII. At some point, they determined they would be better off moving to the PS3 due to timing, if I remember correctly. I cant remember what interview this was discussed in. IGN comes to mind, though.

EDIT

Hey, I found it. I think there are more articles discussing this as well.

Kitase has some insight into the differences in making a game for the PS2 as opposed to the PS3. As announced at the FFXIII unveiling press conference at E3, Final Fantasy XIII development originally started on the PS2. This was approximately two to three years ago. Following their work on the Final Fantasy VII technical demonstration from last year's E3, the development staff started anew on the PS3 -- tossing everything they'd created for FFXIII up to that point. "We're truly making everything from scratch," commented Kitase in regard to the game's White Engine. "We're currently at the step where we're attempting to make an easy development environment."

I thought I remembered them saying the started from scratch for the PS3.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you for your reply.

So, then in fact the game engine has nothing really to do with PS2.

Anyway, Arwin's post seems to be deleted :eek::D.

Not sure if that starting anew referred to the art and the game design ... It's possible, but I'm thinking they probably only started anew with the rendering engine ("in regard to the game's White Engine") not necessarily the rest of the game. They probably reworked a lot of the art, but starting afresh on everything, I'm not so sure.

And yeah, I don't think my post was noise, but hey, crossfire and all that. ;)

Well, I am not sure that you are allowed to post links to scans foreign language or otherwise, but thanks none the less. Its hard to judge from those grainy scans, but it looks like the game has some epic environments and nice art direction, I just hope the game transitions well to Xbox 360 due to the limited disc space. In other words, I hope Square does not sacrifice texture quality and uses as many DVDs as necessary to keep their original vision of what the game is supposed to look like.

Back