Final Fantasy XIII announced for PS3!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I still don't believe it - every single piece of hardware rendered image that we've seen from the next gen consoles so far had very noticeable rendering artifacts and image quality problems inherent from the limited precision of the GPUs and the low rendering times. There's none of that in these images, so I must think that either they're seriously downsampled 3K images; or offline rendered either in software or hardware.

Well, let's bear in mind they are all resized down, they're not 720p. So that would clean them up.

But still..even for those 2 shots..

nAo said:
I agree..too many samples per pixel :)

Could be the usual Capture utility that get's used for print.

One of the PS2 games I worked on could write out an image the size of a wall with no decernable pixels.

If you zoom out of that FFVII shot, it looks cg, because it looks like it has high ammounts of AA. Just like with the FFXIII shots, I bet if we had a full res shot, there would look the same, or similar. (edit: beaten by Titanio)

I'm I the only one who thinks this could definately be realtime, based off the demo we saw a year ago?

Anyone else feel funny we are arguing over CG or Not once again after 2005's e3 showings? :p

Last edited by a moderator:
I won't speak for all the images, but there is no way in heaven or hell SE put out rendered shots with a fully implemented HUD. They may be using some "tricks" to get the image as clean as that (little debate there) but I have no doubt that screen is for real. No way would they put a HUD in it just to try to fool people into believing its real time when it isn't.

If any of these images are what I ll get from PS3 then I am sold and Sony has probably exceeded my expectations! Which would be a first time in the console history to happen! :oops:

I dunno, there's just too much of technical issues, mostly image/shading quality and even the lack of poly edges. Square can push hardware very, very far, as displayed in FFXII, but I find it hard to believe that they're already so far ahead of basically everyone else in the industry. I still think these are concept renders to show how the game would look like 2-3 years from now... Now, if we can see the movies, that would help to see if their effects and other stuff are too good to be realtime as well...

Serenity Painted Death said:
I won't speak for all the images, but there is no way in heaven or hell SE put out rendered shots with a fully implemented HUD.

Noone believed last year's Sony stuff to be CG either. Sony really wants to own this E3, because they're not going to be able to sell everyone a PS3 for another year - so they must keep them waiting instead of buying something else.

ERP said:
Could be the usual Capture utility that get's used for print.

One of the PS2 games I worked on could write out an image the size of a wall with no decernable pixels.
Yep..that's true, though it's still not strictly realtime :)

Well, after reading Laa-Yosh's last two posts, we basically agree - I said in the very beginning that I believe them (the actual FF13 ones) to be ingame shots with more AA than in the final version. What I was reiterating is just that the hair (and other) models and textures as such (ie. the "assets" in newspeak) are perfectly possible IMO.

Or perhaps they're just downscaled to 800 from their original in-game resolution of 1920 ;)
(Yes, it's a joke)

Laa-Yosh said:
I dunno, there's just too much of technical issues, mostly image/shading quality and even the lack of poly edges. Square can push hardware very, very far, as displayed in FFXII, but I find it hard to believe that they're already so far ahead of basically everyone else in the industry. I still think these are concept renders to show how the game would look like 2-3 years from now... Now, if we can see the movies, that would help to see if their effects and other stuff are too good to be realtime as well...

I simply can't believe they'd put a HUD in renders... the only point of which would be to fool people into believing its real.

And I seriously doubt the game is 3 years away. Two would probably be pushing it. Depends though. The game was already well under development on PS2, all they've had to do for the past year is translate it to PS3.

though...

If you look closely you will see that "BLIZZARD" is misspelled as "BLIZZRAD" so I don't know whats up with that.

Real-time?
ffxiii18ba.jpg

Yes it's suppose to be. :D

Serenity Painted Death said:
all they've had to do for the past year is translate it to PS3.

Have you any idea about what's the difference between creating a PS2 level asset and a PS3 level asset? Any developer here could enlighten you - it's a lot...

Laa-Yosh said:
Noone believed last year's Sony stuff to be CG either. Sony really wants to own this E3, because they're not going to be able to sell everyone a PS3 for another year - so they must keep them waiting instead of buying something else.

Hey?

Square =/= Sony. Half of their announced games (more actually) were for Nintendo, not Sony. Yes, obviously, they're lying for Sony's sake!!!!

(must have been one hell of a moneyhat)

Laa-Yosh said:

Not to argue with you, but S-E and Sony aren't the same. Why who S-E be doing CG to help Sony win?

EDIT: Beaten by 1 minute.

Well now that they've announced some PS3 exclusive games, they're kinda interested in building a market for them...

Anyway, let's not get carried away - at this point it's still too early to decide about the stuff here.

Laa-Yosh said:
Well now that they've announced some PS3 exclusive games, they're kinda interested in building a market for them...

Building a market? It already exists, which is why the games are on PS, not another system. Ditto mainline Dragon Quest. Those games go to whoever they think is going to win in Japan/worldwide, they don't go to consoles in the hope of "building" something they've already spent 20 years building.

FFX is the fifth best selling game this generation (behind GT3 and the GTA trilogy), and XII has already done 2 million in Japan. X-2 wasn't that shabby either, totalling over 5 million.

In fact, they're so confident it seems, they're codeveloping spinoffs!! (which I don't really approve of, but whatever).

Laa-Yosh said:
Anyway, let's not get carried away - at this point it's still too early to decide about the stuff here.

I agree it is too early to tell, and these are obviously touched up PR shots, but I don't think I'll ever be able to believe they would include a HUD in prerendered CGI just to fool people into believing it was realtime. No way. That is all I'm saying.

My final judgement for tonight is: target renders using ingame assets in their current, not final state with a concept HUD slapped on top.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back