Fight Night PS3 Screens

hair is really difficult tho. so it looks bad in both of them to me. i prefer blur to remove alaising most of the time. really they should vary between blurs and anti-alaising techniques dependant on movement per edge or pixel. anyway that's what i just thought of. i'm sure some one else has thought of the same. that sort of thinking of anti-alaising as micro blur. blur between spaces smaller than a pixel width.

Last edited by a moderator:
I always thought "real" SSS was too computationally intensive to be used realtime?

Yes, real simulation of SSS requires raytracing.

There are Renderman hacks for previous versions of PRMan that were lacking proper raytracing support, where a complex shader will raytrace in shader code, using dozens to hundreds of shadow maps for scene data. These have been replaced by full raytracing as Pixar got the feature up to speed.

Other approximations and fakes can look good, but won't be as realistic, nice, and soft as the real thing. Most UE3 games use Epic's fake skin shader, check that for results.

As for real raytraced SSS...
http://www.subdivme.com/Images/Natalie.jpg
http://www.subdivme.com/Images/BigGun.jpg
http://www.subdivme.com/Images/GladiatorSmall.jpg

Images by the madly talented Jonas Thornquist (I hope I haven't miss-spelled his name), using Mental Ray.

Yes, real simulation of SSS requires raytracing.

There are Renderman hacks for previous versions of PRMan that were lacking proper raytracing support, where a complex shader will raytrace in shader code, using dozens to hundreds of shadow maps for scene data. These have been replaced by full raytracing as Pixar got the feature up to speed.

Other approximations and fakes can look good, but won't be as realistic, nice, and soft as the real thing. Most UE3 games use Epic's fake skin shader, check that for results.

As for real raytraced SSS...
http://www.subdivme.com/Images/Natalie.jpg
http://www.subdivme.com/Images/BigGun.jpg
http://www.subdivme.com/Images/GladiatorSmall.jpg

Images by the madly talented Jonas Thornquist (I hope I haven't miss-spelled his name), using Mental Ray.

Natalie.jpg

Wow incredible that looks just... real. I guess we've still got a long way to go before hitting that level in games (if ever).

What technique do you think is being employed in that Ali shot above?
Also do you think Cell brings anything specific to the table here?

Ther are a couple things, the hair is crap, and the aliasing really stands out. Still, looks much more realistic though for sure.
The hair indeed looks worse, but that may be one of those things affected by the "perspective" folks bring up. ;) It's certainly one of the things that's hard to tell from the few promo shots they've released, but they may have kicked it down a notch or two for some unknown reason.

I'd take better skin, lighting, and animation over hair, of course... but it seems like such a minor thing that they'd HAVE to change it. I mean, it's not Nariko boxing or anything. :p

Wasn't that mentioned in one of the interviews? I might be cross-wiring. Heh...

Doesn't change the fact that I'd still TAKE better animation! It just may not HAVE it... :p

(I'd expect some improvements, though. FN3 still comes across a bit herky-jerky, and animation is probably the biggest thing that will get people really into a boxing game.)

I think if they would have re-released FN3 for x360 the same day as the PS3 SKU (with almost eight months more dev time...) the screens would appear virtually identical...

I think if they would have re-released FN3 for x360 the same day as the PS3 SKU (with almost eight months more dev time...) the screens would appear virtually identical...

Nonetheless, this might be exactly the sort of thing Sony need to give the impression of a more powerful console. Casuals will obviously chalk it up to system performance rather than development time.

Nonetheless, this might be exactly the sort of thing Sony need to give the impression of a more powerful console. Casuals will obviously chalk it up to system performance rather than development time.

And if the SPE's, PPU, and RSX were exactly programmed like on the 360 hardware it would actually be true.. It's EA's first attempt on the PS3 just like it was on the 360 earlier this year but whatever.

Likely, since they're aiming in the future to keep the game on both consoles. (Though there may be the effect here and there that is easier to pull off on one system than the other.)

Future simu-releases will "prove" that, but really no one is making the claim. Extra dev time + ability to respond to feedback = improved game.

Indeed some people will fall into "more powerful" comments because of it, but you can't hardly stop that. They probably still get tricked by CG. ;)

And if the SPE's, PPU, and RSX were exactly programmed like on the 360 hardware it would actually be true.. It's EA's first attempt on the PS3 just like it was on the 360 earlier this year but whatever.

please... these are just pretty pictures... nothing in motion yet.. let's reserve that 'more powerful' stuff for when we see actual evidence of the same game released at the same time, in motion on HDTVs.

You are not seriosuly going to tell me that they could not make the 360 version look exactly like that (in a screen shot) if they used the same (new) models and textures that they are now using 9 mos later are you ?

Sure, just ignore the fact the develop stated explicitly that it was the extra development time that allowed teh extra detail. Wouldn't want to let pesky facts like that get in the way of what you want to believe.

please... these are just pretty pictures... nothing in motion yet.. let's reserve that 'more powerful' stuff for when we see actual evidence of the same game released at the same time, in motion on HDTVs.

You are not seriosuly going to tell me that they could not make the 360 version look exactly like that (in a screen shot) if they used the same (new) models and textures that they are now using 9 mos later are you ?

You forgot to add (first gen game..) since the 360 is entering second gen right now.. But I explicitly don't say anyting about that..

Sure, just ignore the fact the develop stated explicitly that it was the extra development time that allowed teh extra detail. Wouldn't want to let pesky facts like that get in the way of what you want to believe.

"IGN: Are the visual improvements specifically thanks to "The power of PS3" or is it simply because the developers had more time to work on next-gen hardware?"

Answer: The answer is both.... (and the rest you can read at IGN)

nope..they don't say "the 360 is less powerfull" I have to add that this is very smart for a multi platform company like EA :)

You forgot to add (first gen game..) since the 360 is entering second gen right now.. But I explicitly don't say anyting about that..

which is my point... their SOFTware is farther along (2nd run at Next Gen) than the last time they released the game, regardless of the platform.

Really? I thought they said BOTH
:rolleyes:

did they really... let's exmine that... please show me the quote that says it's more pwerful hardware that allowed them to do more than 360. I read the quote and it sounds like it says...

Our experience with the first FN3 allowed us to learn a lot of what to do next... and PS3 IS A powerful machine (compared to last gen maybe, which could imply so is 360) AND it also allowed us to do some 'unique' things. (which could mean Tilt control for all that says).

edited:
removed commentary on fan**** and added "unique'... thanks patsu for the quote. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
In the interivew linked by Bad_Boy...

IGN: Are the visual improvements specifically thanks to "The power of PS3" or is it simply because the developers had more time to work on next-gen hardware?

Blank: The answer is both. More time allows us to think about how to do things in different ways. At the same time, the PS3 is a powerful system and there are things we can do on this system that are unique. Each system has its advantages but both systems are really powerful tools that help us to make the great games we want to make.

EDIT: http://ps3.ign.com/articles/730/730101p2.html

did they really... let's exmine that... please show me the quote that says it's more pwerful hardware that allowed them to do more than 360. I read the quote and it sounds like it says... Our experience with the first FN3 allowed us to learn a lot of what to do next... and PS3 IS A powerful machine (compared to last gen maybe, which could imply so is 360) AND it also allowed us to do some new things. (which could mean Tilt control for all that says).

But I understand PS3 fans all over the internet are making this statement their mantra now... so .... whatever.

Honestly its posts like these that really show who the secret X-Bots are :rolleyes:

But its your opinion and your entiltled to it.

Thank you guys for illustrating my point perfectly:

Me said:

A little common sense would go a long way with some of you guys, but hey why bother talking to a brick wall right?

Back