Mech Engineer [PC]

This is a Microprose game in the truest sense of a Microprose game.

It's very detailed, very stats based, very simulation based, very much not a hand holding game, very much a complex systems with complex interactions game, etc. It has the word Engineer in the title for a reason and not just a frivolous or superficial one.

You are engineering robots and a base who then go out and fight aliens or withstand attacks from aliens. There's research, there's building, there's modification of components (all components), there's number crunching.

This isn't a game you can play with your brain turned off, you must use your brain to play this game, or at least to succeed at it. But if you love tinkering and you like simulations and you like figuring things out, this is a gdamn gem.

Here's a guy that goes into the latest update. It's still early access, but it's progressed to a point where most of the systems are implemented and the game itself is taking shape.

I expect most people won't like it. If you look at a reviews many of the complaints revolve around complexity, lack of extensive explanation of everything in the game (hint: use the built in testing and simulation systems to figure out and try out various components and modifcations of components prior to deploying them in the real game world), difficulty, etc. Basically the same people that would have hated MicroProse games back when MicroProse was still a big name PC publisher.

For me, this exemplifies what to me was the golden age of PC gaming. Games built for nerds, scientists, engineers, tinkerers, etc. Not games built for your average joe gamer, but games built for thinking people or at least for people that wanted a game that made them think about math, simulations, discovery and stuff. That's not a put down of average gamers. Nothing wrong with wanting to turn off your brain when you game, but some of us want to actively engage our brains while gaming. :)

Regards,
SB

Last edited:
Back