FarCry 2 - Smoother graphics on PS3 ?..

It's too early for that...just wait for what you're looking for and then buy the game. No need to pre-order these days anyway, specially on a shooter that's on 3 platforms simultaneously. There won't be shortages.

Also, here's one wild suggestion. Pick the one for the console that has the better controller to you.

Well, that was a lame post I made - I never pre-order! But this looks good in the videos and I'd hate to compromise on texture resolution or any other IQ :)

I'm not sure how a processing feature can determine the applicability of a storage-limited option...

In layman's terms: higher-res textures are limited by available memory, not processing power. You could have eighteen quadrillion uberflops and still not have enough memory storage available for "high res textures".

They are also limited by streaming speed, and streaming speed can be effectively increased by eighteen quadrillion uberflops.
For example for lossless compression, I think XDK uses LZx variant which is slightly faster (or has slightly better compression ratio) than deflate which isn't very good to begin with (compression ratio-wise). For lossy I don't know what they use, probably some cosine based transform(?).
Fortunately though, there is always a more expensive compression, (for example) wavelet based transform would result in _virtually_ "better" compression ratio.

Hypothetical of course, unrelated to Far Cry 2.

Just playing Devil's Advocate, what if on XB360 they have 1024x1024 dirt and roughness textures, whereas on PS3 the dirt and roughness is added procedurally, calculated per pixel at rendertime? The end result would be higher texture 'resolution'.
most other developers I'ld doubt, but crytex have shown a willingness to push the hardware (albeit the PC till now)
so something similar is possible

btw anyone see this, from another (previously mainly pc focused developer)
id software, a very interesting read.
mainly focused on parallelism in games esp the ps3, perhaps theyre using voxels in their rage game! It would be an eyeopener if they were

http://s08.idav.ucdavis.edu/olick-current-and-next-generation-parallelism-in-games.pdf

Crytex? Do you mean Crytek? If so, that has nothing to do with this thread. I cannot believe how many people don't know that FC2 is not developed by Crytek.

The OT is kind of getting out of hand.

Well the PS3 version of GTAIV was said to be "smoother", and plenty of reviews commented of there being less aliasing in that version. In the end it ran at a much lower resolution without AA.

The FC2 footage posted in the upscale thread is apparently 960x1080 so there could be something to this.

Yes, lets generalise.

Back