Fact: Nintendo to release HD console + controllers with built-in screen late 2012

But why would you single out Nintendo as the company that would go down vs the others.
Because it has a touch screen? That's a very superficial comparison.
Let's say for the sake of argument that Apple completely corners the market on small touch games.
That still leaves Nintendo with the ability to put all the other types of games on the system that the Ipad currently just isn't capable of matching. The same types of games that PS360 do.
So at that point of comparison, if Apple ends of being a competitor with those types of large AAA games, the others are just as much at risk.
Edit: With the inclusion of a tablet controller ,Nintendo is in fact better positioned to compete with Ipad than the others who currently have nothing of the sort.
Having some for of competition is better than none at all.

Why? Well because MS and SONY has the hardcore end covered. Nintendo's strategy is the casual gamer so they'll be impacted more. MS and SONY will still live even if they cater to only the hardcore gamers. Nintendo can't because they don't have the highend hardware nor do they have the mindshare. They don't have a robust online gaming infrastructure. They'll be a 3rd console trying to grab the same customers that MS and SONY already have locked down.

Since it's a fair bit larger than the screens of all other mobile devices I don't think it's too small. Surely I'm sure they could have gone for a bigger screen but there is probably a reason they didn't. Price and battery life may be just two of them.

In this case the better question might be why they didn't make the form factor smaller.

The Wii U controller is competeting with tablets in functionality though and most of them are 8" to 10" and at those size they're still fairly small even if you add buttons. LCD screen are like dirt cheap nowdays and they're only including one with the console itself and not offering it for sale, I am sure they can throw away a few bucks to get bigger screen and battery for it.

I find the 8" tablet a little small, 10" is a nice for portable, but for home portable my preference is around 12" for the screen.

I still think Nintendo made a mistake with Wii U. They should have just created Wii HD + 3DS XXXL with wireless HDMI out for the TV. If PS Vita can pack that much processing power, something the size of Wii U controller surely can pack more and match the current gen consoles or get close to it. 50% more processing power or whatever is just very half hearted attempt for end of 2012 and surely most people will wait for proper upgrade.

They'll be a 3rd console trying to grab the same customers that MS and SONY already have locked down.

Playstation was that 3rd console trying to grab customers Nintendo and Sega had locked down.

Xbox was that 3rd console trying to grab customers Sony and Nintendo had locked down.

Nice comparison shot for those who've only seen the tech demo during the press conference:

oawzma.jpg

From this video, which also nicely demonstrates the scene actually being rendered twice, not just displayed twice (not to mention it's the only video showing the complete demo): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2Nsa06KRLo

50% more powerful than PS360? Yeah, I don't know...

Playstation was that 3rd console trying to grab customers Nintendo and Sega had locked down.

Xbox was that 3rd console trying to grab customers Sony and Nintendo had locked down.

Notice Nintendo lost twice in that time frame, first to SONY and then to MS....ie both were able to steal the hardcore gamers from Nintendo. ;)

As a result Nintendo went straight to targeting casuals with the introduction of Wii. That went great for awhile but doesn't seem to be a good long term solution. So now they want to get some of those hardcore gamers back with the promise of more powerful hardware.

What's different is both MS and SONY had the hardware to steal gamers from Nintendo, does Nintendo have the hardware to steal gamers from MS and SONY? The stock market says no...:LOL:

Why would anybody want a WiiU to play first generation PS360 games?

Last edited by a moderator:
Notice Nintendo lost twice in that time frame, first to SONY and then to MS....ie both were able to steal the hardcore gamers from Nintendo. ;)

They lost, many hardcore gamers have a Wii too, Nintendo had load and load of money, and proffit, they never losted a cent, are one of the most beloved brands worldwide and had the bigest bang on this E3.

Plus everyone is desperate to copy Nintendo, if that is losing twice I really am interesting of your definition of wining.

As a result Nintendo went straight to targeting casuals with the introduction of Wii. That went great for awhile but doesn't seem to be a good long term solution. So now they want to get some of those hardcore gamers back with the promise of more powerful hardware.

What's different is both MS and SONY had the hardware to steal gamers from Nintendo, does Nintendo have the hardware to steal gamers from MS and SONY? The stock market says no...:LOL:

Nintendo had the HW to get new gamers!

And now they are triymg to get everyone, again and united.

Yep, sometimes I just have to much time...

I just had a look, seems to be down nearly a half in about a year
but its not just the wiiU, the 3ds failure until now (its certain its not going to repeat the ds) wouldnt of helped the sharevalue
From my understanding the wiiU device only has total control from one user at once right?
now part of the reason the wii was so successful was it was fun for multiple people, i.e. they seem to be going in a different direction this time
Though I dont have any real answers of what they should do, sorry

It's not that it gives one person "full control" - it's that it gives one person different control from others if one chooses so (ie the 5 player demo where 4 played with wiimotes, trying to catch one guy with the new controller who had different view to the game world)

They lost, many hardcore gamers have a Wii too, Nintendo had load and load of money, and proffit, they never losted a cent, are one of the most beloved brands worldwide and had the bigest bang on this E3.

Plus everyone is desperate to copy Nintendo, if that is losing twice I really am interesting of your definition of wining.

Nintendo had the HW to get new gamers!

And now they are triymg to get everyone, again and united.

Yep, sometimes I just have to much time...

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/...9-s-stock-falls-after-wii-u-announcement.aspx

I just had a look, seems to be down nearly a half in about a year
but its not just the wiiU, the 3ds failure until now (its certain its not going to repeat the ds) wouldnt of helped the sharevalue
From my understanding the wiiU device only has total control from one user at once right?
now part of the reason the wii was so successful was it was fun for multiple people, i.e. they seem to be going in a different direction this time
Though I dont have any real answers of what they should do, sorry

Iwata stated that while it's possible to use multiple Wii U controllers, for now they are focusing on just using one due to how expensive the controller is. The console still can use 4 Wiimotes in addition to the Wii U remote, so multiplayer can still be done. Nintendo will also likely accept games with multiple Wii U controllers eventually.

As for the 3DS.. the DS didn't really have a fast start neither.

Probably a very good time to buy.

Do you have updated news, 10 days on stocks are a long long time. I dont know how they are now, nor I really care.

Anyway falling stocks happens everyday, it had happened to every big company, just see Apple a few years back.

[Still I really dont care what those guys think, they are the same that are doing a mess to UE, starting to do it on the USA too, without any reason. (you can join them ratting agency like moody and bankers).

If they had a minimum of intelligence and decency the world would be a better place.]

Do you have updated news, 10 days on stocks are a long long time. I dont know how they are now, nor I really care.

Anyway falling stocks happens everyday, it had happened to every big company, just see Apple a few years back.

[Still I really dont care what those guys think, they are the same that are doing a mess to UE, starting to do it on the USA too, without any reason. (you can join them ratting agency like moody and bankers).

If they had a minimum of intelligence and decency the world would be a better place.]

The point is Nintendo's stock took a nosedive from the announcement of the Wii U.:LOL:

Stocks don't drop on good news, they drop on bad news...;)

For the past year Nintendo stock has nose dived and there is no reversing of this trend in site...

http://finance.yahoo.com/q/bc?s=NTDOY.PK+Basic+Chart

The point is Nintendo's stock took a nosedive from the announcement of the Wii U.:LOL:

They don't always get it right. I believe the same thing happened when the Wii was announced as well.

So yeah.. probably a good time to buy stock.

IIRC when Steve Jobs come back to Apple that happened too. Anyway not sure

Still they usually fall when something unexpected happens/new appears, even if it ends being quite a good thing.

Anyway investors arent really the smartest thing you can find, if they are they would be doing money themselves...or doing things at all...

Only people with rose tinted goggles believe they don't need a savior....

http://finance.yahoo.com/q/bc?s=NTDOY.PK+Basic+Chart
Try this: http://finance.yahoo.com/q/bc?s=NTDOY.PK&t=5y&l=on&z=l&q=l&c= This is even better: http://finance.yahoo.com/q/bc?s=NTDOY.PK&t=my&l=on&z=l&q=l&c=

And while you're at it: http://finance.yahoo.com/q/bc?s=SNE&t=5y&l=on&z=l&q=l&c=

I guess Sony should have closed shop in February '09.

Apple shouldn't even exist anymore: http://finance.yahoo.com/q/bc?s=AAPL&t=5y&l=on&z=l&q=l&c=

Nintendo currently has a "strong buy" rating due to the drops, the current estimate is +50% within the next twelve months. It's quite obvious that you have absolutely no idea what you're talking about. If you want to make some money, stop trolling and buy a few Nintendo shares.

WOW :oops::oops::oops:

I remembered Apple bad, but not that bad, Steve Jobs "almost" is a real savior LOL.

Thanks for making my vision of investors and analysts even worst :LOL:.

I already said the Wii did well for awhile and that graph reflects that....but look at that graph from Jan 08 to Present...:LOL:

Thanks for proving my point.;)

And while you're at it: http://finance.yahoo.com/q/bc?s=SNE&t=5y&l=on&z=l&q=l&c=

I guess Sony should have closed shop in February '09.

What does the whole of SONY Corp stocks have anything to do with Nintendo who only deals in games and consoles?:LOL: Nice try though ;)

Nintendo has NOTHING to fall back on if Wii U flops.

Do you even know how to read graphs?:LOL: Apple stock is on a steady incline for the last 4 years according to that graph which is expected given the popularity of iPod Touch, iPhones and iPads.

Nintendo currently has a "strong buy" rating due to the drops, the current estimate is +50% within the next twelve months. It's quite obvious that you have absolutely no idea what you're talking about. If you want to make some money, stop trolling and buy a few Nintendo shares.

What makes you so sure Nintendo stocks will MAGICALLY bounce back up to previous levels? Do you believe Wii U with first generatiion PS360 games will be a game changer? :LOL:

What happens when MS or SONY announces next E3 thier next gen console that are at least twice as powerful as Wii U? Do you still think Nintendo stocks will still magically rise?

Uh, have you forgotten that Nintendo has already won this gen and that most gamers have both one of the HD consoles AND a Wii? Nintendo is not in the houses of casual gamers. They're in almost everyones house.

Sony's hardware never stole anything. People went with the PSX because it had all of the "games" not because of the hardware and the same with the PS2. I've said it once and I will say it again. People don't by consoles to look at them.

The Wii is still the top selling console till this very moment. People seem to be confusing slowing sells with complete and total bankruptcy. Nintendo is making as much profit now as Sony and Microsoft's gaming divisions combined even with their declining profits.

The Wii U is just going to be an addition to the market as most people will still own a Wii and will still be buying Nintendo made games for it. The Wii isn't going to suddenly stop existing and stop selling when the Wii U comes out.

Nintendo has never targeted a casual audience as such a thing didn't even exist until those that lost to them this gen made it up(It was just gamer and non-gamer before). Casual is a projection mostly created by Sony to excuse there lack of success this gen. Nintendo does and always has targeted "all". The Wii U is no different.

Back