Fact: Nintendo to release HD console + controllers with built-in screen late 2012

I won't care unless:

1. It has a proper Online infrastructure like Live
2. Is significantly more powerful than the 360/PS3 and can give the 360/PS3 replacements a run for their money

Bonus: if BC Wii games get an upgrade when played on the new system.

How much is a cheap cellphone screen these days ?

I don't think an LCD screen makes it too expensive (although they do say HD), and it's going to require a lot of battery and it's probably going to have to ship with a rechargeable battery pack.

I don't really see the attraction to it myself, if I have a 60" HD TV, why do I want to be looking at the 4" screen in my hands? Perhaps I'm missing something.

Indeed it's not the expense it's the fact it'll make the controller bigger heavier and clunky for very little usefulness and it shouldn't need to be HD as all I can see use for it is like the DS's second screen.

I don't think an LCD screen makes it too expensive (although they do say HD), and it's going to require a lot of battery and it's probably going to have to ship with a rechargeable battery pack.

I don't really see the attraction to it myself, if I have a 60" HD TV, why do I want to be looking at the 4" screen in my hands? Perhaps I'm missing something.

Could be like the vmu's for the dreamcast. Allows you to make plays in madden or do stuff in party games others can't see ?

Mabye it will replacy anlog sticks ?

I talked to my gf about this system. She said we can only buy it if my vc purchases move foward and i agree with her. On the home console front nintendo is pretty much dead to me

Could be like the vmu's for the dreamcast. Allows you to make plays in madden or do stuff in party games others can't see ?

I didn't say I couldn't think of ways they could force you to use it. I said I don't see the attraction to using it. Do I want to be looking at this stupid little screen in my hands when I'm playing on my $3000 60" HDTV?

Mabye it will replacy anlog sticks ?

How does an LCD touch screen replace analog sticks? Badly?

2 options IMO:

- slighty more powerfull than PS360
- slighty better versions of multiplatform games (PS3/360/WiiHD)
- price comparable to PS360
- it won't change current plans of MS and Sony (2013-14 release of next-gen consoles)
- gimmick touch screen on controller used in a good way only by Nintendo games
- online system worse than PSN/XBL

And option 2:

- console much more powerfull than PS360
- much better versions of multiplatform games
- MS and Sony will release they consoles sooner than they expected

Rest can be copied from option 1 :)

- gimmick touch screen on controller used in a good way only by Nintendo games
- online system worse than PSN/XBL

I didn't say I couldn't think of ways they could force you to use it. I said I don't see the attraction to using it. Do I want to be looking at this stupid little screen in my hands when I'm playing on my $3000 60" HDTV?
Just like we didn't want waggle the casuals loved it. I'm sure in some games it will be useful , in alot of party games it seems that it could help

How does an LCD touch screen replace analog sticks? Badly?

I dunno ask the apple /andriod fans that think tablets and phones with just touch screens will replaced dedicated handhelds with real controls

They have to release a system which would be competitive with the next-gen, not match or barely beat the current gen.

Otherwise, why bother.

Who's going to buy a new console that's not really next-gen?

Just like we didn't want waggle the casuals loved it. I'm sure in some games it will be useful , in alot of party games it seems that it could help

I really don't see that being the case. It makes a bit of sense in a portable where you have to hold it where you can see it, in a home console, I don't see having to look at my hands to play being a plus.

I dunno ask the apple /andriod fans that think tablets and phones with just touch screens will replaced dedicated handhelds with real controls

Tablets and phones are going encroach into the market that isn't looking to play mario or zelda on their handheld. You don't need analog sticks for sudoku.

The reason for Nintendo to launch would be to go for a wider user base than the Wii, that is the people who bought PS3 and X360s.

So why build a higher performance console only to have it outpaced by a big margin by the other 2 companies?

Plus no guarantees of history repeating itself. The casuals bought into the Wii. They may not be interested in buying into anything else for awhile.

I'm just going by Nintendo actions 2006-2010, Wii was not that much more powerfull than GC/Xbox and 3DS is not that much powerfull than PSP.

we've talked about hardware alot in other threads. i still say a solid cpu with a radeon 6850 on 28nm set up with 1-2 gig of ram would put the current consoles to shame and prob still be able to hang with whatever ms and sony do. Esp if nintendo targets 720p while ms and sony go to 1080p

we've talked about hardware alot in other threads. i still say a solid cpu with a radeon 6850 on 28nm set up with 1-2 gig of ram would put the current consoles to shame and prob still be able to hang with whatever ms and sony do. Esp if nintendo targets 720p while ms and sony go to 1080p

I'd hope a 6850 can beat current consoles. Problem being it also consumes as much power as current consoles.

What's the battery life of those LCD universal remotes ?

Since it's still a rumor, I'll just throw this here too: :)
http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=6194

Sources have revealed to Blu-ray.com that Nintendo are looking at including Blu-ray as the main optical drive. This would be a natural progression from the Wii which uses DVD, but it isn't clear if Nintendo would enable BD movie playback on the new console or whether they would just use it for data as they do with DVD on the Wii.

EDIT: The touch interface controller rumor reminded me of something. They have not released the Wii sensor peripheral yet. Perhaps it has been lumped into the nextgen controller.

Back