Fact: Nintendo to release HD console + controllers with built-in screen late 2012

Yeah 500 dollar devices that get yearly replacements and game libries that don't come even close to the quality you'll find on wiiu are most certainly going to kill wiiu.

Looks like Apple is going to kill Nintendo's WiiU even before it is released. Imagine iPad3 or even iPhone5 with controller attachments.:smile:
iPad3 and iPhone5 will we stable and supported for six years, half as expensive as the current models, and Apple will finally introduce actual content quality control?

Yeah 500 dollar devices that get yearly replacements and game libries that don't come even close to the quality you'll find on wiiu are most certainly going to kill wiiu.

Millions of people already own iPads and iPhones....the numbers are growing like wild fire and since it's basically a computer AND game console there's no stopping it from eating away Nintendo's market. There's nothing Nintendo can do to prevent this despite their fanboys' delusions and denials.;)

It's too bad that Nintendo's business model is at odds with Apples. Apple releases new hardware on a yearly basis but consumers don't really mind, they still buy it...in droves. Nintendo can't do that because they're stuck with a "game console" only business model with $50 games.

Nintendo's "new idea" ie controller screen is already available from Apple but their consoles can't really do much else. Their other idea has been beaten by Kinect...so they have no more hardware advantages and their software is down to a few titles targeted at kids. Times are changing but Nintendo still hasn't changed....that will be their death.

Last edited by a moderator:
Millions of people already own iPads and iPhones....the numbers are growing like wild fire and since it's basically a computer AND game console there's no stopping it from eating away Nintendo's market. There's nothing Nintendo can do about it despite their fanboys' wishes and hopes.;)

Right because a 500 dollar system that gets replaced on a yearly basis and for the most part 0,99 games that are fun for 5 minutes is really competing with 150 ~ 300 dollar (handheld/console) hardware that stays stable for 5 ~ 6 years and complicated 40 ~ 60 dollar games.

I've been over this a dozen times already so I'm not gonna do it again but if people are still stupid enough to think a iwhatever can replace everything fine but reality is different. Gamers won't care for angry fucking birds. They want mario/ff/Gran tourismo/etc with good controlls and NOT spend 500 dollars on hardware EVERY YEAR.

The fact is, iwhatever doesn't compete on a hardware price level and it doesn't (and maybe never because of the money you can ask for appmarket games) compete on software quality either. Sure they might steal some customers that would have bought a handheld for simple games before iwhatever came out but there is still a very large market iwhatever just cant compete with for various reasons.

Nintendo's "new idea" ie controller screen is already available from Apple but their consoles can't really do much else. Times are changing but Nintendo still hasn't changed....that will be their death.

Oh wow you just made my day :LOL: Yeah never mind that nintendo has came up with a lot of hard and software innovations we now take for granted.

The only thing apple is really good at is getting people to buy their stuff and way too high a price. They never did anything special on the hardware front and as far as gaming software goes they did nothing at all.

I can see how apple is going to be Nintendo's death.

(please pm me what kind of stuff you use, seems to make for some awsome hallucinations)

Anyone here think 6.2" screen is a little small ? Comparing Vita and Wii U controller, Nintendo could have included a bigger screen with the same form factor still.

Since it's a fair bit larger than the screens of all other mobile devices I don't think it's too small. Surely I'm sure they could have gone for a bigger screen but there is probably a reason they didn't. Price and battery life may be just two of them.

In this case the better question might be why they didn't make the form factor smaller.

Right because a 500 dollar system that gets replaced on a yearly basis and for the most part 0,99 games that are fun for 5 minutes is really competing with 150 ~ 300 dollar (handheld/console) hardware that stays stable for 5 ~ 6 years and complicated 40 ~ 60 dollar games.

Whether you like it or not they ARE competing for the same dollars....deal with it and embrace the truth.

I've been over this a dozen times already so I'm not gonna do it again but if people are still stupid enough to think a iwhatever can replace everything fine but reality is different. Gamers won't care for angry fucking birds. They want mario/ff/Gran tourismo/etc with good controlls and NOT spend 500 dollars on hardware EVERY YEAR.

Strawman, nobody is saying Apple products will replace EVERYTHING....pay attention to what's being said. Fact is many portable gaming consoles have already been replaced with iPods/iPhones...why? Simple...people already have the iphone/ipod so they didn't need to buy it for the games, but since they already have the phone/music player (that could also play games) there's not much reason to BUY a dedicated portable game console.

Next step is tablets replacing Nintendo's tablet controller. Anyone who doesn't see this is a moron or simply a blind fanboy.:LOL:

The fact is, iwhatever doesn't compete on a hardware price level and it doesn't (and maybe never because of the money you can ask for appmarket games) compete on software quality either. Sure they might steal some customers that would have bought a handheld for simple games before iwhatever came out but there is still a very large market iwhatever just cant compete with for various reasons.

Again pay attention....people already own the hardware, gaming capability on said hardware is just a bonus with no extra hardware costs while the game software is priced from $0-$10.

Oh wow you just made my day :LOL: Yeah never mind that nintendo has came up with a lot of hard and software innovations we now take for granted.

The only thing apple is really good at is getting people to buy their stuff and way too high a price. They never did anything special on the hardware front and as far as gaming software goes they did nothing at all.

I can see how apple is going to be Nintendo's death.

(please pm me what kind of stuff you use, seems to make for some awsome hallucinations)

Right...that's why Apple's market cap is currently at $295 BILLION.:LOL:

Oh btw...Nintendo stock still down after WiiU unveiling.....WiiU looks to be DOA....RIP Nintendo.

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/...9-s-stock-falls-after-wii-u-announcement.aspx

I'm glad you have so much faith in Nintendo and no fear of Apple despite.....
Satoru Iwata, the Nintendo president, is understood to have told his senior executives recently to regard the battle with Sony as a victory already won and to treat Apple, and its iPhone and iPad devices, as the “enemy of the future” .
:LOL:

Another guess:

480 SP / 32 TU / 16 ROPs @600 MHz => 580 GFLOPS
So basically specs of e6760 but unsure of the architecture. If it would use the RV7xx (DX10.1) architecture I think this could end @20W.

1,8GHz tri-core or quadcore Power7 derivate
How would such a CPU compare with Xenon and Cell? Clock is much lower, but IIRC Power7 can do 4 threads/clock and the low clock would much better fit the small power budget. Devs would need to do a lot of multithreading but this would fit Sega's "it's different" comment.

Still unsure about the RAM, would 1200 MHz GDDR5 be realistic?

I'll go on record, I think in the end these specs are more or less exactly what will be in Wii U. I may have already done this earlier in the thread I cant remember :LOL:

320 SP RV730. Reasonably low clocks, 400 or 500 mhz.
768MB or 1GB RAM.
Xenon-alike tri core CPU, possibly clocked higher to 3.6 ghz.

Anyone here think 6.2" screen is a little small ? Comparing Vita and Wii U controller, Nintendo could have included a bigger screen with the same form factor still.

I am more worried about it being just single touch :devilish:
I am also somewhat worried that if doesnt include a wiiremote+nunchaku it will not have again a strong motion portfolio. Also help to be even more competitive against other consoles and Apple if you like.

Strawman, nobody is saying Apple products will replace EVERYTHING....pay attention to what's being said. Fact is many portable gaming consoles have already been replaced with iPods/iPhones...why? Simple...people already have the iphone/ipod so they didn't need to buy it for the games, but since they already have the phone/music player (that could also play games) there's not much reason to BUY a dedicated portable game console.

The same way that powerfull and cheap PCs that everyone have killed console gaming:?:
And that Internet killed the TV:?:

BTW which 0.99-5$ iOS game do you have to replace Bioshock/Zelda/Mario/Half-Life/...

I The same way that powerfull and cheap PCs that everyone have killed console gaming:? And that Internet killed the TV:?:

Flawed analogies.;)

BTW which 0.99-5$ iOS game do you have to replace Bioshock/Zelda/Mario/Half-Life/...

I don't own any kiddie games with gimmicky controls. I left Nintendo after GC and DS and never looked back. I currently game on Xbox360 and iPhone. Nintendo's current consoles doesn't have anything that I'm interested in.

Why is anyone even replying to RudeCurves inane and transparent trolling attempts?

I'll go on record, I think in the end these specs are more or less exactly what will be in Wii U. I may have already done this earlier in the thread I cant remember :LOL:

320 SP RV730. Reasonably low clocks, 400 or 500 mhz.
768MB or 1GB RAM.
Xenon-alike tri core CPU, possibly clocked higher to 3.6 ghz.
RV740/ RV770LE @ 500MHz, 1GB RAM unified, quad core CPU with 16MB lv3 cache, possibly OoOE and with VSX units instead of VMX. My pick.

@V3:

6.2" simply makes sense. It's a common size and therefore rather cheap, bigger than a typical handheld screen, and has a nice resolution at 480p.

I do think Apple is a competitor for some games,obviously not all though.
Nintendo can counter this to some degree by opening up development to smaller or indie devs and allow them bring their products to the WiiU shop channel,including apps.
As Reggie said it's about competing for time. I really hope Nintendo follows through this time with their stated purpose of allowing the online area to be very flexible and open.
That's the only way they begin to counter what Apple is doing.
I'm afraid though that Reggie statements about maintaining a certain value point( ie price)
and not devaluing games, will put of some devs.
It's a different type of gamer though,I would call it the Super casual. People who are content with only the very basic games experiences and for which anything over $10 would probably seem too much.
With the WiiU they will have to target the next step up from that. The type of gamer that wants a little more complexity and depth and is willing to spend more than a certain price point for it.
I think what the WiiU can do vs the Ipad will allow WiiU devs to create different enough experiences and still maintain a price point that is good for the casual and Nintendo bottom line.

Flawed analogies.;)

Nope, replacing the "classics" isnt bad analogies.;)

RV740/ RV770LE @ 500MHz, 1GB RAM unified, quad core CPU with 16MB lv3 cache, possibly OoOE and with VSX units instead of VMX. My pick.

Once everyone is doing bets :LOL:, here is mine.

CPU: low power PowerPC A2, plus edram
GPU: true custom GPU with a mix of features from DX10 and 11 GPUs (loosely related to a lower 6x00), with stuff like tessellation well done
Ram: 1Gb+

Overall with will be a jump equivalent to a GC->Wii, taking PS360 as starting point.

Meaning a 1,5-2,5x over PS360 on the classical benchmarks (gflops, filtrate ...).

Nope, replacing the "classics" isnt bad analogies.;)

Your analogies are based on the ASSumption that ANY and ALL dedicated game consoles will be "killed" and replaced by tablets and phones....nobody is claiming such.

Nintendo doesn't own the whole console market...therefore those analogies are moot.

If Nintendo WiiU dies there's still Playstation and Xbox. It's about Apple killing WiiU not Apple killing all consoles...;)

Oh btw...Nintendo stock still down after WiiU unveiling.....WiiU looks to be DOA....RIP Nintendo.

WiiU is "DOA" because stocks are a bit down when no-one really knows anything about it besides what the controller looks like? :rolleyes:
And RIP Nintendo when they have around or over 15 billion USD just in cash and next to no loan at all? (estimate from graph at financial times, converted from yens to USD) :rolleyes:

Your analogies are based on the ASSumption that ANY and ALL dedicated game consoles will be "killed" and replaced by tablets and phones....nobody is claiming such.

Nintendo doesn't own the whole console market...therefore those analogies are moot.

If Nintendo WiiU dies there's still Playstation and Xbox. It's about Apple killing WiiU not Apple killing all consoles...;)

But why would you single out Nintendo as the company that would go down vs the others.
Because it has a touch screen? That's a very superficial comparison.
Let's say for the sake of argument that Apple completely corners the market on small touch games.
That still leaves Nintendo with the ability to put all the other types of games on the system that the Ipad currently just isn't capable of matching. The same types of games that PS360 do.
So at that point of comparison, if Apple ends of being a competitor with those types of large AAA games, the others are just as much at risk.
Edit: With the inclusion of a tablet controller ,Nintendo is in fact better positioned to compete with Ipad than the others who currently have nothing of the sort.
Having some for of competition is better than none at all.

It's a different type of gamer though,I would call it the Super casual. People who are content with only the very basic games experiences and for which anything over $10 would probably seem too much.
With the WiiU they will have to target the next step up from that. The type of gamer that wants a little more complexity and depth and is willing to spend more than a certain price point for it.
I think what the WiiU can do vs the Ipad will allow WiiU devs to create different enough experiences and still maintain a price point that is good for the casual and Nintendo bottom line.

what about an action game that is not "follow the story line on rails", but simply has levels, power-ups, enemies etc.
surely many of the casuals played the NES and similar as kid, but can't be bothered to play all those boring 3rd person games with save points and cutscenes. and braindead puzzles.
I would like something with good old levels, even if it means a desert level, a sand level, an ice level etc. with a flagpole on the end :)

what about an action game that is not "follow the story line on rails", but simply has levels, power-ups, enemies etc.
surely many of the casuals played the NES and similar as kid, but can't be bothered to play all those boring 3rd person games with save points and cutscenes. and braindead puzzles.
I would like something with good old levels, even if it means a desert level, a sand level, an ice level etc. with a flagpole on the end :)

There's room for all types of games,to each his own. The Ipad can have experiences that suit certain gamers,but there are people like myself that also want games that the Ipad really just can't do as well yet. And I doubt the simple inclusion of a controller will catapult it ahead of games like Uncharted 3 or Halo4.
My wife just bought my an Ipad2 and it's real nice,but it isn't a substitute for those types of games.
Edit Oh by the way by using the term Super casual it was not meant as a dig, just a way to describe a type of gamer for which the Ipad games will be enough.
I'm sure there is cross over. I like all types of good games as well be it old school side scrolling platformers to current AAA games

Looks like Apple is going to kill Nintendo's WiiU even before it is released. Imagine iPad3 or even iPhone5 with controller attachments.:smile:

I am not sure if this is a zero sum game. Nintendo may be able to ride on them (use iPad as controller if necessary)... Like NetFlix, a streaming company, rode on Blu-ray momentum.

WiiU is "DOA" because stocks are a bit down when no-one really knows anything about it besides what the controller looks like?
I just had a look, seems to be down nearly a half in about a year
but its not just the wiiU, the 3ds failure until now (its certain its not going to repeat the ds) wouldnt of helped the sharevalue
From my understanding the wiiU device only has total control from one user at once right?
now part of the reason the wii was so successful was it was fun for multiple people, i.e. they seem to be going in a different direction this time
Though I dont have any real answers of what they should do, sorry

Back