Fact: Nintendo to release HD console + controllers with built-in screen late 2012

How exactly can they emulate the 223GB/s bandwidth for framebuffer?
They wouldn't need to, in the same way PC GPUs can do everything Xenos can and plenty more besides (high AF and MSAA) with less BW to play with, in the same games on the same engines. That BW figure is effectively an excess, rarely needed in its entirety, designed such that there'd never be a bottleneck. It's certainly not the case that Xenos's eDRAM is saturating that BW every frame.

I don't think it's a matter of either the eDRAM is saturating its BW all the time or not, but rather if it's constantly surpassing the BW available for a "recent" UMA system or not.
Given that even 256-bit GDDR5 system would achieve about half of that BW, wouldn't that become a constant bottleneck to handle with?

You've seen the controller???
Wow, you know more than all of us together! Cool thing ;)
I did see a picture a few weeks back, but judging by your reaction it must have been a fake. I don't follow this stuff too closely.

Regardless, adding a screen to the controller will make it more clumsy than it needs to be for TV gaming.

Can anyone explain why you would have half the system memory compared to video memory? Doesn't make any sense, wouldn't it make more sense for it to be the opposite or an even split?

Can anyone explain why you would have half the system memory compared to video memory? Doesn't make any sense, wouldn't it make more sense for it to be the opposite or an even split?

Depends on what's your target for general computing and what's your target for graphics.
Memory demands for graphics have been growing faster than memory demands for a supposedly simplified O.S. in a gaming console.

RV770 is also quite capable as a parallel computing processor, so that 1GB GDDR5 could actually be used for some general computing such as physics and A.I., if the developers see fit.

But those specs are most probably fake, as the GFlops for the GPU don't add up.

Given that even 256-bit GDDR5 system would achieve about half of that BW, wouldn't that become a constant bottleneck to handle with?
Given that PC GPUs deliver 1080p images at 60FPS with 16x AA in same games where XB barely gives you 30FPS at 720p or lower with 2xAA, if any, I wouldn't worry about bandwidth too much.

Mario Kart would have gameplay on the handheld and a commentary or map on the TV. Dragon Quest Multiplayer would have gameplay on the same screen, all four players cooperating, with local skills and inventory on the controller so it doesn't interrupt the game for other players.

Spectating is a big part of the gaming culture. I don't think people would want the main gameplay redirected to the controller screen. What the secondary screen allows you to do is present the game in multiple perspectives simultaneously. In Mario Cart, the TV could show a behind the shoulder view, while the controller screen show a first-person view. I can also imagine a squad-based coop shooter presented in a isometric view on the TV, letting you see clearly what your teammates are doing, while the controller screen is used for FPS-style shooting--or controlling a AC-130. Your Dragon Quest usage scenario also seems solid.

Depends on what's your target for general computing and what's your target for graphics.
Memory demands for graphics have been growing faster than memory demands for a supposedly simplified O.S. in a gaming console.

RV770 is also quite capable as a parallel computing processor, so that 1GB GDDR5 could actually be used for some general computing such as physics and A.I., if the developers see fit.

But those specs are most probably fake, as the GFlops for the GPU don't add up.

Yeah but system memory is used for more than just storing a simplified OS. I thought items such as the AI and Geometry were stored on the system memory side, no?

How exactly can they emulate the 223GB/s bandwidth for framebuffer?
With a 512-bit GDDR5 memory system? I don't really think that's reallistic..

The 256GB/s bandwith was just a pr stunt. That max bandwith is only aviable on the eDram for 4xMSAA operations thanks to the aditional logic in the daughter die.

From the Beyound 3d xenos article http://www.beyond3d.com/content/articles/4/1
All of this processing is performed on the parent die and the pixels are then transferred to the daughter die in the form of source colour per pixel and loss-less compressed Z, per 2x2 pixel quad. The interconnect bandwidth between the parent and daughter die is only an eighth of the eDRAM bandwidth because the source colour data value is common to all samples of a pixel here, and the Z is compressed. Once on the daughter die the pixels are unpacked to their Multi-Sample level and each sample is driven through their Z and Alpha computations and the final data is stored on the eDRAM until either the entire frame or current tile (we'll cover this in more detail later) being rendered is finished.

The conection betwen the 2 dies is just 1/8 of that , 32GB/s.

So its clearly not equal to a desktop GPU where the bandwith is for everything.

Last edited by a moderator:
The 256GB/s bandwith was just a pr stunt.
To be particular, it's the internal bandwidth. One may as well quote the bandwidth of internal caches. So, as mentioned, PC GPU's amply demonstrate XB360 isn't wielding 200+ GB/s of eDRAM BW to do anything that cannot be done on GDDR running a fraction of that speed. Now there should be cases where XB360 does things in a way that doesn't port nicely, much as PS2 did with its massive particle drawing ability, but given the limited application of the eDRAM, such cases should be few and far between.

OmniVision hints ramp up for 8MP iPhone camera, Project Cafe (!?).

"Console plans were also unusually singled out during the call. The company said it had obtained a "significant design win" to supply cameras for a game console that would be ready in the next several months."

Source.

If only the 3DS had a couple of those...

sony said that in order to reduce the ngp bom they will use more and more outsourced component, so it can be not the ngp, but 8Mp?

8MP doesn't make much sense for a portable console.. or even a home console for that matter...

Even for augmented reality games and casual photos, a sensor that big could eventually be a hindrance for the BOM.

The only way I'd see it kind-of useful would be in a next-gen Eye-Toy for increased input resolution or something.. but even then..

How about the next-gen Xperia Play? Since it's also a smartphone, it'd make more sense imho.

Back