Eyetoy PS3 MIA?

patsu said:
Something inside tells me that it's going to suck (like speech and free-form handwriting recognition). But I am curious nonetheless.
If they could make those two work in freaking DS games, why not on PS3? :oops:

Shifty Geezer said:
would probably do wonders for the PSEye.
What they really need is a Yu-gi-oh deck, if anything might bail them out in Japan, that would probably be it.

I think SCE missed a good oppurtunity here to capatilize from a wider market. I mean, how much more mainstream can you get than that!? :D

They should learn from the Toshiba demo and publish the realtime hair-do + makeup application too.

If they could make those two work in freaking DS games, why not on PS3? :oops:

I think DS's use of speech and handwriting recognition is pretty shallow. They don't have to be deep for gaming. I remember speech recognition is used for shouting or saying known/short phrases, and handwriting recognition is more for gestures. I could be wrong though. My DS is collecting dust somewhere in the house :)oops:).

OTOH, Eyedentify seems to require pretty sophisticated speech recognition:

What they really need is a Yu-gi-oh deck, if anything might bail them out in Japan, that would probably be it.

That's right. I am pretty sure if they have spoken to Transformer and StarWar, Yu-gi-oh should be under consideration already.

Last edited by a moderator:
crazygambit said:
So I guess we can put that $60 rumor to rest now. I wonder how much it'll be, 'cause I'm definetely interested.

It's US$69.99 according to the official PS3 blog:
http://blog.us.playstation.com/2007/09/20/5-things-you-dont-know-the-eye-of-judgment/

2. Pricing = $69.99
Yep, you’ve heard it here first. The SRP for THE EYE OF JUDGMENT software bundle in the US is $69.99. The bundle includes the following:
• THE EYE OF JUDGMENT software (disc case, manual, Blu-ray disc)
• PLAYSTATION Eye camera
• Judgment (camera) stand
• 9 Fields Battle Mat
• (1) Starter deck (includes 30 Summoning Cards + 4 Function Cards)
• (1) Booster pack (includes 8 randomly inserted Summoning Cards with one guaranteed to be rare or ultra rare)

Wow Identify looks pretty awesome with the speech recognition, what happens if you dont say anything though? they just stop or something??

I cant imagine anyone playing Eye of Judgement. Why would anyone play a card game, that has to be played in front of a TV for useless optical bling-bling ? :rolleyes:
Why would anyone play a Videogame that requires cards & a mat ?

Dont let my opinion cripple your fun if you like the game, but this is one of games I just dont understand - and it wouldnt be the first that turns out insanely popular contrary to my personal eye of judgement ;)

I cant imagine anyone playing Eye of Judgement. Why would anyone play a card game, that has to be played in front of a TV for useless optical bling-bling ? :rolleyes:

Dont let my opinion cripple your fun if you like the game, but this is one of games I just dont understand - and it wouldnt be the first that turns out insanely popular contrary to my personal eye of judgement ;)

I get it..

This entire post was in leading up to that very last comment right..

I like what you did there my friend.. :LOL:

I cant imagine anyone playing Eye of Judgement. Why would anyone play a card game, that has to be played in front of a TV for useless optical bling-bling ?
Because :
1) It's an 'active' participant, providing an AI player where a pack of cards can't
2) It adapts the game, creating terrain and so forth. I don't know the details but by account the game can get pretty complex. Though you can show this with ordinary cards, it makes it quite hard. Having the computer take care of the nitty-gritty opens up the game to other audiences. Much like having computers do Advanced Dungeons and Dragons games increased the appeal way beyond that of the original PnP game.
3) Online gaming, so you always have a human opponent to play with. I can sit here with my trusty Pokemon deck and never get a game because no-one else in the area cares to play.
4) The optical bling is way cool!

Because :
1) It's an 'active' participant, providing an AI player where a pack of cards can't
2) It adapts the game, creating terrain and so forth. I don't know the details but by account the game can get pretty complex. Though you can show this with ordinary cards, it makes it quite hard. Having the computer take care of the nitty-gritty opens up the game to other audiences. Much like having computers do Advanced Dungeons and Dragons games increased the appeal way beyond that of the original PnP game.
3) Online gaming, so you always have a human opponent to play with. I can sit here with my trusty Pokemon deck and never get a game because no-one else in the area cares to play.
4) The optical bling is way cool!

Are you getting one Shiffty?

Wonder what the uptake will be here at B3D. Some B3D tournaments would be pretty interesting. SCEI could do well for itself by implementing Tournament specific features and modes. A way to record the battles, and a community to upload them to, would also be a very nice touch. I'm hoping they don't pull an Eye Toy on us, and just ship the product and leave it at that.

Because :
that makes the pack of cards redundant
same point, I cant remember you manually had to roll dice and lay around cards when playing Baldurs Gate. Its a nuisance.

I was going to quote your 2 remaining points, but I realized I would just repeat myself.

I wouldve just about grasped the concept if the game wouldve build on a existing game (ie. your pokemons) and it adds the possibility of playing online and training VS AI. But for a new game? why bother cluttering the space with a mat & cards.

I wouldve just about grasped the concept if the game wouldve build on a existing game (ie. your pokemons) and it adds the possibility of playing online and training VS AI. But for a new game? why bother cluttering the space with a mat & cards.

To test the market? See if the concept works, and then try to cash in on the addictive craze of other more established franchises. While Pokemon may be out of reach for obvious reasons, they may be able to get others to jump on board if they can show a proven concept. Then it becomes obvious why they want the cards and mat. To appeal to whatever element it is that feeds the card battle game craze in the first place, giving fans of the established franchises a logical 2nd avenue to pursue (thus generating profit all around). That would be my guess. Simply put, because the cards (the physical element and collection of them) appeal to a certain demographic. What would appear to be their target demographic.

To test the market? See if the concept works, and then try to cash in on the addictive craze of other more established franchises. While Pokemon may be out of reach for obvious reasons, they may be able to get others to jump on board if they can show a proven concept. Then it becomes obvious why they want the cards and mat. To appeal to whatever element it is that feeds the card battle game craze in the first place, giving fans of the established franchises a logical 2nd avenue to pursue (thus generating profit all around). That would be my guess. Simply put, because the cards (the physical element and collection of them) appeal to a certain demographic. What would appear to be their target demographic.

Not to mention the fact that it's a pretty powerful franchise if it works.. The fact that the fundamental elements of the game are the cards & mat (with the game & PSEye only "enhancing the experience" bringing the game to life so to speak..) it makes the whole franchise pretty ubiquitous which is pretty solid.. It provides the potential for revenue inaddition to and apart fom software sales & allow the core user experience the ability to expand far beyond software updates & sequels..

I only question the whole tolkien esque styling of the game which, in my oppinion, comes off a little too "generic" & works against the mainstream appeal of the franchise.. Something a little more "pokemon-esque" (aka kiddy friendly) would have really worked wonders and would have given Sony much greater scope to establish the franchise *very* well.. Having 20-30s pick up the game and play for a while is one thing, but having youngsters buy the game, love it & then go on to buy further cards, trade collect and enjoy in schoolyards & classrooms the world over would be absolutely phenominal & in that vein, would allow Sony to cash in on the proven concept directly AND establish a world class pokemon-like self-sustaining IP in the process..

that makes the pack of cards redundant
Sony get to sell booster packs!
It's just a cool idea! The mat is necessary for the gameplay like some other card games - you'd take up that much table space with out without the computer game side to it. So the only real clutter is the addition of the camera on a stand, which is necessary to give you an AI opponent. Basically it's a card game, with collectable cards and booster packs, that can be played without a computer, but which the computer augments with the addition of a camera and stand to give you solo play and internet play.

If Nintendo were enable solo or internet play with your Pokemon cards, or you could play your Magic cards over the internet on PC, would that be equally a waste of time?
Gradthrawn said:
Are you getting one Shiffty?
If I weren't near terminally poor and could afford (both time and money) to get a PS3 and this, then yes! I think it's a great little game idea.

The card game itself is pretty standalone and according to people, fun. So you're correct to say that PS Eye is not needed. But the "augmented reality" concept is fascinating and has never been done in mass market before. It reminds people of the very popular manga (Yu-Gi-Oh). Afterall, we are born in a generation where people bought "pet rock", "hello kitty", "X_ray glasses" and many other cool/cute merchandizes because they fancy it.

If I understand it correctly, I think the other value here, if ported to other collectible card games, is a unified deck. People can build the same, exact set of cards, virtually or in real-life (No need to buy a separate digital pack for PC play, but they have to improve on the DRM though). As usual, PS3 comes in handy to play against a lonely player, or facilitate a network play. Stats tracking is also done automatically. If you have played any of those complex board/card games before, you'll appreciate it.

Just like I don't understand the cult following behind "Hello Kitty" products. Many things (sales, love, fights, ...) are partially (or heavily, in some cases) driven by the heart. I remember there was a "riot" in Japan when Yu-Gi-Oh cards were first sold (Yes, the police has to stepped in). I don't think "Eye of Judgment" will reach the same level since it is relatively unknown, but Sony obviously wants to combine these popular franchises with the same/similar concept.

My interest is...

The PS Eye concept has potential in energizing traditional board games and marketing. There is a following for German board games. These games have some of the best gameplay I have seen, but can be a hassle to manage. If PS Eye can track the stats for a local 4-6 player party (or even a mixed local/online party to fill in some missing regular players), it will be attractive to these crowd (and the board game manufacturers).

Sony is already digitizing merchandizes. Someday we may see a PS Home layout software for helping me to buy furnitures online, or another marketing gimmick to promote online auction/shopping (e.g., bulk mail "Hi-Fi" or Gran Turismo cards to PS3 owners to take a glimpse of new products "in their hands"), or play Sims at another level, etc.

Just like Toshiba's Magic Mirror application, this is only a beginning.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back