Eyetoy PS3 MIA?

No news at all. Not even a demo to my knowledge at least despite it's now well into the new year.

Anyone know if htis thing is still on the horizon or if it's in limbo?

Rhe original one was kind of fun despite PS2 is pretty "meh". They could probably do a lot with a good camera connected to a chip as strong as cell.

Peace.

A demo of eye of judgement was shown 4 months ago utilizing the new eye toy

Sure it was the new eyetoy?

David Reeves said some time last year that a new eyetoy game should be out in the Spring of this year, but given that we've seen nothing so far, that seems a bit doubtful.

Sony did have a general 'concept' video for the future of eyetoy (though not necessarily PS3 eyetoy) which they showed at some event some time ago. Apparently all the stuff shown was stuff they had working to a point in the labs, so it should all be technically feasible, but it wouldn't all necessarily go into a product.

I guess if one wants to be really hopeful, GDC could be a good starting point for showing off what they're working on. But there's not much reason to expect it, really. I'm sure we'll see it this year, but when..I don't know.

I don't know the specifics about the hardware, if they is a new webcam or not however i do know that there are about 4-6 Eye-Toy games in development and they will be available for download from Sonys equivalant to Live. From what i know of the timetable it looks like they are aiming to get these up in time for the european launch. Don't ask me how know this but thats the situation.

So its not confirmed "yet", but it definately exists :eek:
I'm reminded of PSP's peripherals - The tilt-control, and GPS. Both have been coming soon since PSP was first unveiled. In short, it'll be nice, but I'll believe it when I see it.

As for the hardware, the specs first mentioned way back when were actually pretty extreme, and way beyond existing cameras. True HD resolutions at a reasonable framerates just haven't happened yet.

I don't know the specifics about the hardware, if they is a new webcam or not however i do know that there are about 4-6 Eye-Toy games in development and they will be available for download from Sonys equivalant to Live. From what i know of the timetable it looks like they are aiming to get these up in time for the european launch. Don't ask me how know this but thats the situation.
Maybe they will bundle the EyetoyHD with the PAL PS3s, that would be a nice surprise. :D

Very interesting that there will be downloadable Eyetoy-games, maybe not that surprising since each Eyetoy game has been a small collection of games.

If you have read anything about SingStar at all, you will know that a hi-def EyeToy is coming for sure. It's been hinted at rather unsubtly a few times by SingStar developers.

Sure it's coming. Question is when... Any day now isn't an answer. Neither are exact dates. the hardware ahs to actually appear to be sure 'it's coming' ever becomes 'it's here!'

Sure it's coming. Question is when... Any day now isn't an answer. Neither are exact dates. the hardware ahs to actually appear to be sure 'it's coming' ever becomes 'it's here!'

EYETOY HD hardware is done. We have a few at our studio. You should see it on store shelves by april.

EYETOY HD hardware is done. We have a few at our studio. You should see it on store shelves by april.
Sony developed a PS tilt sensor. They had it available for Archer MacLean while developing Mercury. I think some gaming sites had hands on time with it. Mercury didn't launch with the tilt sensor. I contacted Archer MacLean about the tilt sensor for PSP. He said 'it's done, and we're just waiting for clearance' or whatever it was. 2 years later it hasn't been released.

The existence of hardware, use in games, and reviews by the press, does not mean it'll ever see the light of day. No-one knows why Sony make such stupid decisions, but they do. For the same obscure reason the tilt sensor hasn't yet been released, perhaps EyeToy will sit on studios and on review desks without ever being sold to the public.

Of course, I think it will. Just pointing out that even solid evidence like seeing one first hand isn't proof positive that the things will be released to the consumers.

Sony developed a PS tilt sensor. They had it available for Archer MacLean while developing Mercury. I think some gaming sites had hands on time with it. Mercury didn't launch with the tilt sensor. I contacted Archer MacLean about the tilt sensor for PSP. He said 'it's done, and we're just waiting for clearance' or whatever it was. 2 years later it hasn't been released.

The existence of hardware, use in games, and reviews by the press, does not mean it'll ever see the light of day. No-one knows why Sony make such stupid decisions, but they do. For the same obscure reason the tilt sensor hasn't yet been released, perhaps EyeToy will sit on studios and on review desks without ever being sold to the public.

Of course, I think it will. Just pointing out that even solid evidence like seeing one first hand isn't proof positive that the things will be released to the consumers.

A PSP tilt sensor and a HD eye toy are to very different beasts..

Considering the first has no practical use outside of games similar to mercury meltdown and considering the current demographic of the PSP i'd say it may have been a pretty sound move by Sony to put production of the unit on hold (in order to avoid unnecessary money wastage from poor sales of the product.. Afterall PSP games sales have been iffy for some time now & they still have their work cut out for them, turning the situation around...)

The eye toy however is a very interesting and practical peripheral which can provide so much more to the user's gaming & even non-gaming experiences, AND has the luxury of being proven on the market (Our studio has remained profitable for quite some time primarily due to the sales of sw for that little camera for the PS2..)

I would expect Sony to showcase more for the Eyetoy HD when they actually have something to showcase (i.e. interesting and/or innovative game & non-game content..) and considering some of the stuff i've seen from some of the guys at our offices & from what i've heard has been going elsewhere, I'm sure when it finally is revealed and a release date set, it'll raise quite a few eyebrows...

If you have read anything about SingStar at all, you will know that a hi-def EyeToy is coming for sure. It's been hinted at rather unsubtly a few times by SingStar developers.
Yeah, in the new 1Up Singstar-article, they mentioned June to be the time of release. The camera will probably be out at least by then, since the ability to upload your own video is a key feature. User created content you know. :smile:

The EyeToy is a well proven concept, if they have software ready and are able to get it in production they will release it as fast as possible. It will really show the benefit of HD and that is in the interest of Sony.

Interesting.

Maybee time to start marketing it then. It feels like original eyetoy didn't get too much of that and in the end Sony just bundled it with software titles.

That camera was probably super cheap tomanufacture. HD version probably costs a bit more and could likely use some hype to generate interest. MS's high-res Livecam is priced at nearly a hundred bucks I believe. Or ws last I checked anyway.

Peace.

I thought the PS2 eyetoy worked with PS3?

It does. But obviously the PS3 eyetoy should be a little more exciting, being able to capture higher res video/images.
I work for EA redwood shores and EALA as a compliance manager.

Thats interesting, with both you and alex ward (of EA) mentioning the new Eyetoy, it makes me wonder what EA has in store for the eyetoy.

Though due to NDA's I'm sure you're under, I won't bother asking you for any specifications on it or what you guys are using it for. ;)

Back