Forgotten horror games you used to love playing...

Roger Cobb

Regular
Obscure

This was one of the better RE type games on the PS2, about students investigating strange incidents in their college.

It had optional co-op. You could switch characters at a meeting point (basically inside the school's courtyard).

Each character has a certain ability. You could briefly play another character near the beginning of the game named Dan, but he soon dies because of his critical state.

I hated the lock picking sequences. Meh.

Clock Tower

A point and click, murder mystery game. Technically, it's really a sequel to a previous game that was only released in Japan.

The story involves a survivor of that game being stalked by a serial killer called Scissorman. You go through a university and then other places like a library or a house, depending on the path you choose, and the side characters who support you. Ultimately, you go to a castle. That's my favourite part of the game.

Dino Crisis

Basically like RE with dinosaurs. The first game was survival horror, but 2 and 3 were drastically different.

However, 3 absolutely sucks. We don't talk about 3! ;)

Curse: The Eye of Isis.

Like RE games of yesteryear, only you end up in a museum in London, exploring the rooms. The security staff become zombies and you can attack them with firearms or a truncheon. They emit some yellow mist after they die, that can affect your health meter.

It was a rather hard game, with lots of backtracking and difficult puzzles. But I did appreciate the fact it played like the very old RE games.

Resident Evil: Outbreak

The only good RE spin off that kind of plays like the other [older] games.

This was a side story about regular Raccoon City personnel going to places like a zoo and a forest to get to safety.

There are 8 characters to choose from, and skins you can use via cheat devices.

I tried playing the second one yesterday, but the controls are flipping annoying. Some unrelenting dude with an axe is following me around too.

What about you? Any oldies you think are still fun today?

Alone in the Dark: The New Nightmare

Yet another great RE style game where you go to an island and get chased by shadow creatures, and you can play as either Edward Carnby, or a woman called Aline Cedrac.

The story was pretty engaging in this game. You could also use a radio. Aline's scenario was kind of harder, with more puzzles, and a Nemesis type enemy that kept following you around.

I really enjoyed it. The reboot in 2008 was garbage, though.

That detective game on ni ten do Ds where you need to slap the console shut as part of the gameplay

It was not a horror game but it was scary

Aliens vs Predator 2k.
In space I could hear them Scream and it presaged a whole heap of running away backward while wildly mashing primary & 2ndary fire buttons.

Parasite Eve, great soundtrack, interesting story and cgi videos that was one of the best that time. I would realy like to see re2r treatment for this game.

To my disarray, IGN had posted their top RE games list, right? But I guess they just aren't big fans of the classic ones. Their list was ultimately missing both RE2 and CV. Yeah...

CV certainly always has it rough, as so many fans dislike it. It's absolutely underrated. But to leave out the original RE2!?

Surely, that must be a piss take...

Back