European Console Sales 2010

I'd always assumed that France with a much larger country had a population somewhat similar to Japan.

That's why, here in the UK, we often look across the English Channel (or "la Manche" as the French arrogantly call it) with Envious eyes. Similar populations, but whereas the UK is around 250K sqkm (give or take), the French have managed to secure themselves 550k sqkm of green and pleasant land.

It's just not fair!

As for the Japanese, the reason why Kinect space issues have been especially highlighted is that they have to squeeze their 125m population into around 350k sqkm.... hence the small living spaces ;)

2010 console (only) sales (change is from 2009 sales)

germany 1.666 billion € +33% growth // largest market if u include PC/online etc
UK 1.813 billion £ -3% decline (2.157 €)
france 1.84 billion € +13% growth
holland 265 million € -11% decline
belgian 192.7 million € -27% decline

2010 console (only) sales (change is from 2009 sales)

germany 1.666 billion € +33% growth // largest market if u include PC/online etc
UK 1.813 billion £ -3% decline (2.157 €)
france 1.84 billion € +13% growth
holland 265 million € -11% decline
belgian 192.7 million € -27% decline

Source?

That looks completely false saying France and Germany are as big as UK.

Source?

why? they out number the brits by +15 and +30 million people? i dont know about other coutries but in australia when we were in "financial crysis" console and video game sales went up while much bigger puchases went down.

The charts I've seen indicate they're very close. For instance, Dean Takahashi has this article on VentureBeat. France and Germany spend nearly the same in Euro, while the UK spends a numerically similar amount, except in GBP. Not saying this confirms or denies zed's numbers, but rather that it confirms the relative size of the markets.

The charts I've seen indicate they're very close. For instance, Dean Takahashi has this article on VentureBeat. France and Germany spend nearly the same in Euro, while the UK spends a numerically similar amount, except in GBP. Not saying this confirms or denies zed's numbers, but rather that it confirms the relative size of the markets.

That's the same source zed constantly uses that's nothing but a survey.

I have this on my hard drive

3l12p.png

I seem to recall seeing some surveys that if you include PC, Germany rivals UK, but for just consoles not so much.

I posted this yesterday, but cant see my post (well often moderators do delete posts here) but again
http://www.newzoo.com/press/NewzooTotalConsumerSpend2010.pdf 800kb

Very interesting. Germany's combined PC revenue almost matches its combined Console revenue for games, and exceeds it if you include MMO's which are mostly on PC.

The US brings up the rear with regards to PC but has DD greater than physical boxed. And all of spotlighted countries not having DD even close to physical. At first that seems odd considering claims of better internet infrastructure in European countries. But when thinking about it, it makes sense with a combination of bandwidth caps and Steam prices (at least in the UK) often being higher than physical copies at launch.

Unfortunately, as a survey without knowing the details of sample size and other factors, it's hard to tell how accurate it may be and what the margin of error would be. It's still a fascinating look.

Regards,
SB

I just saw this news article. If it's accurate, Sony is having a very good showing, for the PS3, in Europe. Supposedly, 8 million PS3 have been shifted versus 4.7 million 360s.

http://www.made2game.com/xbox-360/european-ps3-games-outsell-xbox-360s-21/

To clarify: The article is talking about software. Still a good number, though.

Original article from Le Monde. This article has more info about Kinect/Move sales in France as well. Apparently they have both sold 300,000 units, though it is specifically mentioned that Sony is counting Move bundles as well as individual wands as units.

Edit: Something odd here. They say 8M vs 4.7M pieces of software sold total in 2010 and 2.8 vs 2 per console owner respectively. Though they don't say it directly, that last ratio only makes sense if they are only counting owners who bought their consoles this year. A little math shows that according to their numbers, there have been 2.86M PS3's vs. 2.35M 360's sold across Europe in 2010.

Last edited by a moderator:
The software numbers don't make a whole lot of sense to me. It would be weird if Black Ops in what two or three months? has sold about the same on X360 in NA than all PS3 games combined during the whole year in Europe...

Clearly the numbers can't be for all of Europe or covering the entire year.

Edit: Something odd here. They say 8M vs 4.7M pieces of software sold total in 2010 and 2.8 vs 2 per console owner respectively. Though they don't say it directly, that last ratio only makes sense if they are only counting owners who bought their consoles this year. A little math shows that according to their numbers, there have been 2.86M PS3's vs. 2.35M 360's sold across Europe in 2010.

It still doesn't make sense unless all of europe is moving 2/3rd the number of PS3s as the US and 1/3rd the number of x360s. That seems pretty low.

The software numbers don't make a whole lot of sense to me. It would be weird if Black Ops in what two or three months? has sold about the same on X360 in NA than all PS3 games combined during the whole year in Europe...

Clearly the numbers can't be for all of Europe or covering the entire year.

It still doesn't make sense unless all of europe is moving 2/3rd the number of PS3s as the US and 1/3rd the number of x360s. That seems pretty low.

Which countries does Gfk cover? They are probably the original source.

Since France doesn't cover more than 25% of the PS3 market I think there is a mistake somewhere in the article.

Well ya. I'm not sure but I expect they are just talking about France/Germany/UK/Spain or something.

Another interesting note is that the 3m ps3 install base in France still translates to lower per capita sales than the US market for Sony. Obviously the xbox sales are worse as well, just thought it was interesting that they can be happy about a number in one market that is viewed as disappointing in another.

Another interesting note is that the 3m ps3 install base in France still translates to lower per capita sales than the US market for Sony. Obviously the xbox sales are worse as well, just thought it was interesting that they can be happy about a number in one market that is viewed as disappointing in another.

Some of that has to be price. With taxes and other differentiating factors, consoles and games are typically more expensive even with adjusted prices. If a system is $300 is the US but the actual real world equivalent of $400 in France, targets would certainly be lower.

Back