Microsoft Xbox 360 Worldwide sales Oct-December 07

Cheezdoodles

+ 1
Veteran
I dunno if this has been posted, but i just stumpled upon an annoucement from Microsoft reporting the sales from the three last months in 2007. Thought it might be interesting, aspecially as we can compare NPD (aka US numbers to world wide). This could give us interesting data about europe, assuming that aside from japan

These numbers are taken from the largest newspaper in norway, but the story is reported by Reuters, so its certainly correct.

Norwegian source

Anyways, microsoft reports 4,300,000 sales worlwide october-december.

NPD Sales
October - 366,000
November - 770,000
--------
Sum: 1,136,000

Assuming 1,5 million sales in the US in december 2007, that leaves us at
2,636,000 sold in the states. Leaving 1,664 million left for worldwide sales, take away 40k or whatever from japan, it would still seem sales from europe and the rest of the world accounts for 38,69% of the sales.

This means that european (+ australia and a couple others) sales are 63,15% of the american sales data.

Interestingly, this data suggest VGcharts is underreporting these markets sales by as much as 12%, or 1,2 million in LTD sales.

Microsoft always post sold, as in sold to retailers. Sony now also do the same, I have no idea about Sony.

So far it has been basically 66% US, 33% EU, and that trend goes all the way back to the Xbox 1 days. It doesn't look like that's changing much yet.

I dunno if this has been posted, but i just stumpled upon an annoucement from Microsoft reporting the sales from the three last months in 2007. Thought it might be interesting, aspecially as we can compare NPD (aka US numbers to world wide). This could give us interesting data about europe, assuming that aside from japan

These numbers are taken from the largest newspaper in norway, but the story is reported by Reuters, so its certainly correct.

Norwegian source

Anyways, microsoft reports 4,300,000 sales worlwide october-december.

NPD Sales
October - 366,000
November - 770,000
--------
Sum: 1,136,000

Assuming 1,5 million sales in the US in december 2007, that leaves us at
2,636,000 sold in the states. Leaving 1,664 million left for worldwide sales, take away 40k or whatever from japan, it would still seem sales from europe and the rest of the world accounts for 38,69% of the sales.

This means that european (+ australia and a couple others) sales are 63,15% of the american sales data.

Interestingly, this data suggest VGcharts is underreporting these markets sales by as much as 12%, or 1,2 million in LTD sales.

Interesting info

Really hard to compare sold to retail numbers to sold to consumer numbers like NPD and VGChartz.

Some claim that last years sales numbers from MS were inflated by heavy channel stuffing, maybe it´s less this year, still the numbers can deviate quite a lot depending on how much stock retail kept through the holiday.

Yes, the Norwegian site is just getting the 4.3 million figure from subtracting the Q3 reported cumulative shipped number from MS (13.4m) from the Q4 same (17.7m).

These are shipped, not sold, with all the caveats therein. Although, there is likely a LOT less 360 in the channel this year than last. This is why MS actually shipped less in 07 than 06, although they sold through more in 07 than 06.

One way you can tell there is less in the channel is there were sporadic shortages of 360 this past Dec.

Even shipped definitions vary. Sony used the term (in the past) to describe any unit off the factory assembly line. MS used it to describe only units sold to retailers, a stricter definition. Sony is now using actual sold to consumers numbers now though I believe, not shipped at all. Nintendo has been doing that for a long time, and a couple Q's ago Sony changed as well.

Sony is now using actual sold to consumers numbers now though I believe, not shipped at all.
Not in their financials, they're not. They seem to be using the same number that MS do, the number they sold (as in Sony got paid for) that quarter (not sell through at retail nor 'shipped' to their own warehouses).

So far it has been basically 66% US, 33% EU, and that trend goes all the way back to the Xbox 1 days. It doesn't look like that's changing much yet.
Well, the numbers in the OP stated PAL as making up 36.85%. A proportional increase of 10% is nothing to scoff at (33% * 0.1 = 3.3%, see).

Well, the numbers in the OP stated PAL as making up 36.85%. A proportional increase of 10% is nothing to scoff at (33% * 0.1 = 3.3%, see).

And the 360 NA install base is likely to at least double Xbox1's NA install base.

So if that ratio holds true MS would be looking at 40-50million WW when the dust settles, at least.

That's a big change from the Xbox1 days.

Yes, if you want to attribute that much accuracy to these numbers (both the 66%/33% and the Norwegian site's extrapolation), go right ahead. :) The 360 will no doubt do better than the Xbox1, though, I'm fairly sure of that, as are probably most people. How well that turns out to be in terms of marketshare depends partly on the size of the market, which seems to be growing significantly.

We can not make any reliable calculations about worldwide installed base numbers... All we have is the shipped/sold to retail numbers from the wendors, which is still a reasonable way to judge a product's succes once the current generation is over. All IMHO of course ;)

Yes, if you want to attribute that much accuracy to these numbers (both the 66%/33% and the Norwegian site's extrapolation), go right ahead. :)

So the data is reliable enough for you to enter the thread with a negative comment - "doesn't look like it's changing" - but I can't use the same data to make a positive comment? Balanced view indeed. :???:

Indeed... does it matter if the % territory split has changed? Can we not be "happy" that the size of the market is bigger? Afterall, it's the total # of units that matter (in comparing to the previous generation of hardware from the same company). The % split between territories should only be a concern to the marketing departments IMO.

Back