Enterbrain charts 6-13 Feb

jvd said:
The psp is an okay system , but i'm affraid its going to get to many rehashes from the ps2 which many of us here have recently played through and there wont be any enhancements

LOL, as oppoused to Nintendo handhelds which I guess are never dranched with rehashes and remakes of their previous-generation console games.

Geeforcer said:
jvd said:
The psp is an okay system , but i'm affraid its going to get to many rehashes from the ps2 which many of us here have recently played through and there wont be any enhancements

LOL, as oppoused to Nintendo handhelds which I guess are never dranched with rehashes and remakes of their previous-generation console games.

Hey, Pokemon Light Red 12 is totally different from Pokemon A Little Darker Shade Of Red 8!!

Almasy

Lack of bilinear filtering isn't an indication of the feature set or age of the DS system. Its just one design choice of many. Judging the system based on that is similar to judging it on its hardware T&L support and coming to the conclusion that its as good as current generation systems.

But whatever, you just keep believing that I'm simply wishing and hoping that DS hardware is better then you think. Ignorance is bliss after all.

london-boy

I'm sure his opinion is what 99% of people think about graphics capabilities on DS. I don't have a problem with that. Because the public info on it is very limited. That's no excuse to refuse to listen to any info I have under the assumption that anything I say is just the wishful thinking of a Nintendo fan.

What kind of graphics will DS produce? I know a little bit about the hardware (not much but more then most) but I find it hard to make a judgement. Because I don't think DS's specs totally fit any past consoles. Some of its features are from the N64/PS1 era as you say (lack of bilinear filtering). Were as some of them we didn't see in consoles till the current generation (post Dreamcast). Although its a safe best that DS graphics will fall somewhere in between PS1 and Dreamcast. Where ever they fall though on things for certain IMO. DS games will get a lot better looking. After all what we're seeing now are launch games at 60fps.

Doesn't Super Mario DS run at 30FPS?

No its 60fps, the original on N64 was 30fps though.

I'm not 100% sure if absolutely all of DS's launch games are 60fps. Still the best looking launch titles so far are 60fps. Mario 64, Asphalt GT, Metroid Hunters (demo) ect

PSP - Games we played in the last year or so on PS2 with nothing significant changed.

DS - Games we havent played for 5 to 8 years enhanced with dual screen, touch screen and voice recognition controls.

That's the difference.

Geeforcer said:
jvd said:

To bad you didn't keep reading or you would see me say the same about nintendo , only pointing out that the tittles are older so you don't get the i just played this game feeling and they do change things which have a minor effect on the game . Playing mario ds was slightly diffrent than playing mario 64 and since i haven't played mario 64 since 1996 it was entertaining .

Playing a game 2-4 years ago will have that feeling of just playing it , That is what made the gba fun . I got mario 3 and it was really fun and i hadn't played that since shesh what 88 ? Even though it wasn't changed it still felt like a new experiance. Playing say celda on the ds wouldn't feel like a new experiance because we had recently played through it

Teasy said:
Doesn't Super Mario DS run at 30FPS?

No its 60fps, the original on N64 was 30fps though.
The retail version of Mario 64DS is running at 30fps, Teasy.

http://www.gamestyle.net/gba.php?action=review&id=85
The lower resolution and sharper screen means that the whole game looks bright, vivid and alive - the colours are strong and there's no bleeding like you'd get on a television set. For the most part, the game runs smoothly at 30fps, only dropping a frame in one of the newer levels created especially for the DS version, which seems odd.

edit: Gamestyle server seems to be slow like hell, so here's a link to the IGN review

The refresh never strays from its 30 frames-per-second rate, though there are occasional bouts of scenery pop-in distant items.

StarFox said:
PSP - Games we played in the last year or so on PS2 with nothing significant changed.

DS - Games we havent played for 5 to 8 years enhanced with dual screen, touch screen and voice recognition controls.

Yep, the PSP "rehashes" will look and play faithful to their PS2 counterparts, with no significant changes. While the DS "rehashes" will look like the games we played five to eight years ago, even if they're rehashes of games that came out last year.

I find it humorous how Nintendo fans criticize the still-infant PSP game library as one of rehashes when the word so aptly describes so much of Nintendo's catalog.

Even if PSP is heavy on PS2 rehashes, many gamers will find this appealing because now, it's finally possible to play next-generation games on the go. These titles look nearly as good as PS2 games in some cases, and being able to take these kinds of visuals on the road is exciting indeed.

It also bodes well for potential synergies between PS2 and PSP titles - as the PSP experience will be much more faithful to its full-sized console counterpart.

I find it humorous how Nintendo fans criticize the still-infant PSP game library as one of rehashes when the word so aptly describes so much of Nintendo's catalog.

Nobody said PSP will have more ports then DS. We're saying that DS at least can play ports differently. Because it has features that the consoles don't have. Plus the DS ports will be of games people haven't played for a long time.

Teasy said:
Almasy

Lack of bilinear filtering isn't an indication of the feature set or age of the DS system. Its just one design choice of many. Judging the system based on that is similar to judging it on its hardware T&L support and coming to the conclusion that its as good as current generation systems.

But whatever, you just keep believing that I'm simply wishing and hoping that DS hardware is better then you think. Ignorance is bliss after all.

Alright Teasy, I was wrong. DS has this incredible, untapped power that will catapult it to modern times in terms of graphics. I look forward to seeing such software, because I BELIEVE in Nintendo´s guiding light. Oh yes, I do BELIEVE.

No Almasy I was wrong. DS is no more powerful then GBA and will never produce better graphics then the SNES. I thank you for showing me how to see past mere facts to the "reality" of the situation :LOL:

"untapped powers" :LOL: u must be thinking of ps2 fans. ps2 dont have the best filtering around too.

please stop DS bashing, teasy never mean to say that. he implying that Nintendo want to strike balance in making interesting games with reasonable hardware to carry out.

DS is not psp graphics, but it still good in handhelds.

Vysez

I could have sworn that everyone said Mario DS was running at 60fps leading up to its launch. As well as everyone here saying it was 60fps after release. Strange..

pahcman said:
"untapped powers" :LOL: u must be thinking of ps2 fans.
...or Dreamcast fans, or Saturn fans, or Jaguar fans, or 3DO fans, or TG16 fans...

In fact, it's rare you don't find a fan of any console (or chipset) that doesn't complain about developers not really taking advantage of the hardware or giving as much emphasis as they should have...

But hey, you know. Stuff. Should I insert some LOL or ROLLEYES here?

From MB:

Here are the Top 10 Japanese game titles for the week of February 14 - 20.

Devil May Cry 3 (PS2, Capcom) - 194,530 units
Dragon Ball Z3 (PS2, Bandai) - 90,911 / 517,807 units
Rumble Roses (PS2, Konami) - 73,935 units
D1 Grand Prix (PS2, Yuke's) - 26,286 units
Gladiator: Road to Freedom (PS2, Ertain) - 14,336 units
Gran Turismo 4 (PS2, Sony) - 12,863 / 956,680 units
Popolocrois: Pietro Ouji no Bouken (PSP, Sony) - 11,956 / 45,715 units
Catch! Touch! Yoshi! (NDS, Nintendo) - 11,591 / 120,669 units
Shinseiki Yuusha Taisen (PS2, Atlus) - 10,487 units
Everybody's Golf Portable (PSP, Sony) - 10,353 units

Here are the console hardware sales in Japan for the same week:

PlayStation 2 - 38,954 / 432,091 units