9 GBA Super Robot Taisen Original Generarion 2 Banpresto 15,000 132,000 level
10 GC biohazard 4 Capcom 14,000 189,000 level
11 DS Sawaru Made in Wario Nintendo 11,000 652,000
12 DS Super Mario 64DS Nintendo 11,000 620,000
13 PSP Minna no Golf Portable SCE 11,000 288,000
14 PS2 Ichigo 100% Strawberry Diary Tomy 10,000 10,000
15 GBA Mario Party Advance Nintendo 10,000 137,000
16 PS2 Monster Hunter G Capcom 9,700 182,000
17 PS2 Dragon Quest VIII: Sora to Umi to Daichi to Norowareshi Himegimi Square Enix 9,300 3,448,000
18 PS2 Daito Giken Koushiki Pachi-Slot Simulator Yoshimune Daito 8,000 386,000
19 GBA Pocket Monsters Emerald Pokemon 7,000 1,448,000
20 PSP Shin Sangoku Musou

Hardware
platform this week total
1 PlayStation Portable 52,000 802,000
2 PlayStation 2 49,000
3 Nintendo DS 30,000 1,612,000
4 GameBoy Advance SP 20,000
5 GameCube 3,400
6 GameBoy Advance 600
7 Xbox 300

8)

hey69 said:
Hardware
platform this week total
1 PlayStation Portable 52,000 802,000
3 Nintendo DS 30,000 1,612,000
4 GameBoy Advance SP 20,000
6 GameBoy Advance 600
Wow. The PSP is selling a little more than every Nintendo handheld put together. I wonder if Nintendo will be changing their tune about innovation when the GBA2 hits. Or maybe that machine will have its own revolutionary aspect as well.

hey69 said:
Hardware
platform this week total
2 PlayStation 2 49,000
5 GameCube 3,400
7 Xbox 300
By factors, the PS2 is beating the GC more than the GC is beating the Xbox. :p

But Nintendo continues to do much better in software sales. Seems like the PSP is a rehash of the PS2. The Japanese are buying it more for the multimedia features than for the games.

Much better? There are 3 DS games on the chart vs. 2 PSP games on the chart. Where is this significant lead in software sales? ~800,000 PSP vs. ~1.6 million DS's gives the DS a larger userbase to purchase said titles. A firm justification probably cannot be made for atleast another 6-8 monthes.

-Rich

Iron Tiger said:
But Nintendo continues to do much better in software sales. Seems like the PSP is a rehash of the PS2. The Japanese are buying it more for the multimedia features than for the games.
The stats may contradict you...

2.5 games per 1 PSP unit (Japan)
1.7 games per 1 NDS unit (Japan+US)

Iron Tiger said:

If that means the PSP will ahve a large enough userbase for developers to start making lots of games for it eventually, who cares about the reason people are buying it now, like the reasion people were buying PS2 at launch until very good games came out for it?
Some people will never drop the useless arguments.

leaving psp and NDS aside... whatsup with RE4?

aren't japanese people not so into resi evil or is this game bombing harder than a bomb in southIrak on a sunny thursday morning?

london-boy said:
Iron Tiger said:

If that means the PSP will ahve a large enough userbase for developers to start making lots of games for it eventually, who cares about the reason people are buying it now, like the reasion people were buying PS2 at launch until very good games came out for it?
Some people will never drop the useless arguments.
I wasn't really arguing anything, but it seems that my use of the word "rehash" threw up a red flag. Actually, it's not much of a rehash, because people that bought the PS2 mainly for DVD playback got a decent value for their money. Buying a PSP to play UMDs seems a waste, and I am sure the people that bought it for MPEG4 playback won't get much use out of it once they realize how inconvenient it is to convert movies and then put them on the PSP. And you can get a 1GB MP3 player for less than the cost of a 1GB memory stick, so where's the value in that? If you're buying a PSP for media playback, WHY? I'd buy it for games (if they weren't so damned expensive).

hey69 said:
leaving psp and NDS aside... whatsup with RE4?

aren't japanese people not so into resi evil or is this game bombing harder than a bomb in southIrak on a sunny thursday morning?

I don't know, but isn't selling better atm than RE:Remake or RE Zero? I wouldn't expect a miracle of RE4. As long as it selling better than those two fore-mentioned titles, it probably doing just fine. I doubt that Capcom estimated much better sales.

My guess on why RE4 isn't selling better is that GC is really far behind PS2, and has been for a long time, in Japan. It's quite possible that the GC isn't selling new titles anymore because nobody's using their GC, and there are too few new people buying GC systems to make that much of an impact on new game sales.

I don't own either a nintendo or sony console so I'll give my 2 cents. People are buying the PSP over the DS because the PSP has a nice big 16:9 screen and the graphics are alot better. It comes down to this would you rather have games that look similar to a Nintendo 64 or games that look slightly worse than a ps2 in your pocket. Especially since the cost is so similar you get a bigger bang for buck with the PSP. I know theres alot of people on this board that love everything Nintendo does without question. But Sony, in this case has a better product imho. Even with multimedia not being a factor.

1,650,000 DSs sold vs 800,000 PSPs, if PSP ever actually outsells DS then we can talk about why its happening.

Pozer

Its just not as simple as that. There are far more differences between DS and PSP then just graphics, plenty of them in DS's favour.

Teasy said:
Its just not as simple as that. There are far more differences between DS and PSP then just graphics, plenty of them in DS's favour.

But Teasy, for him, it IS just that simple. For you and the other DS owners who don't want a PSP, then yes, you're right.

Ty

I was talking about his view of how people in general see the PSP and DS and how that is effecting current sales, not his own personal opinion of the two systems. His own personal opinion is his to have obviously, but when that is extended to the public at large it becomes oversimplified.

My guess as to why DS sales are slowing is due to the fact DS specific games are too few and very far between. Even I only bought two games, one for myself and one for my spouse to play. If there were more new DS specific games available, I'm willing to bet sales would pick back up.

why is it necessarely that people are buying a PSP instead of a DS? At this point, those increased PSP sales could be attributed to PlayStation owners that wouldn't be buying a Nintendo handheld anyway - which wouldn't mean much to Nintendo since it's not their marketshare they're loosing...

It would be very interesting if someone had first few months sales of when the GBA launched... because the question is, is DS selling good in relation to what other Nintendo handhelds sold at the time or is it underperforming? Maybe, just maybe, PSP did open up a potentially lucrative and untapped market (the older, cool seeking PlayStation userbase) and is thus selling good?

Maybe, just maybe, PSP did open up a potentially lucrative and untapped market (the older, cool seeking PlayStation userbase) and is thus selling good?

That's of course possible, or maybe they just found the larger screen, higher performance, and media capabilities more attractive than what DS offers especially at the unexpected price of $200? Or it could be PSP has a larger launch library while the DS had a pretty dismal one? Or it could be a combination of all there? Any theory could fit the bill at this point. There's no doubt that the $200 price is a significant factor. How are PSP game sales?

Back