Electric Vehicle Thread!

I'm a little jealous of all youguys and your electric cars. I actually tried to sign up for the solterra when it came out. Or more accurately I filled out form to get on the list the very first day but apparently their website was overwhelmed and they lost my submission. By the time I thought to look again weeks later the wait list was full... Oh well it means I might get something closer to what I want I guess. An aluminum body ford explorer bev would work for me as it has a third row.

Last edited:
My Prius is still a regular old hybrid but it had the regenerative braking (including a simulation of slowing down the car on the engine as people weren’t used to cars not slowing down at all when they don’t press the pedal).

But even the cheapest edition had all that, regenerative braking, electric engine assisted gearing (so you have no slowdown during any shifting), engine integrated climate control, closed oil system (which basically means you never need an oil change), dual engine independent acceleration (meaning each engine can work independently so you can drive fully electric, fully gas powered, or a combination of both for 115BHP, etc. Which also saves a lot in the low rpm range as off the line electric is more efficient due to instant max power. The list of innovations was huge and they shared most of them with the rest of the world for free as well to benefit the environment.

And you can get that old model for a few thousand here second hand now.

I’m super interested to see what their first EV will be like. They’re late with one obviously but they want to maintain their reputation for reliability and I am truly curious what they brings to the table.

I’m super interested to see what their first EV will be like. They’re late with one obviously but they want to maintain their reputation for reliability and I am truly curious what they brings to the table

Toyota's campaigning against EVs and climate action is a disgrace. Coming 3rd place to big oil in campaign spending is just beyond belief.

I'll never buy a Toyota EV as a result. Unless it's a good car and I can pick one up for a reasonable price. Principles! :D

Arwin Toyota already has EV's. They did one based on the Tesla pack and their current one is the same as Subaru solterra. So it exists and you can see what it is like (nothing special).

EV's were the most popular cars around 1900 people who think something amazing is going to happen will be disappointed. We will just slowly get better and cheaper batteries and infrastructure. EV's are also easy. Much simpler than ice cars. The hard part is caused by trying to lower costs. Some companies like Tesla sell their fans that cost lowering efforts are about technology advancement. "oohh look no buttons you get to use this amazing touchscreen to do everything", Stan's "wow amazing breakthrough, buttons are so old school"

Arwin Toyota already has EV's. They did one based on the Tesla pack and their current one is the same as Subaru solterra. So it exists and you can see what it is like (nothing special).

EV's were the most popular cars around 1900 people who think something amazing is going to happen will be disappointed. We will just slowly get better and cheaper batteries and infrastructure. EV's are also easy. Much simpler than ice cars. The hard part is caused by trying to lower costs. Some companies like Tesla sell their fans that cost lowering efforts are about technology advancement. "oohh look no buttons you get to use this amazing touchscreen to do everything", Stan's "wow amazing breakthrough, buttons are so old school"

And "oooh, no lidar no radar! FULL VISION"

Does going vision only mean Toyota's autonomous vehicles are going to run over even more people at sporting events?

I mean, I'm not a big fan of spectator events in general, but that's taking it a bit far.

What you need to do is install an alternator that way you charge the batteries while your driving and your battery will never run out :runaway:

Am I a genius or am I a genius
*also sells magic beans......

Toyota's campaigning against EVs and climate action is a disgrace. Coming 3rd place to big oil in campaign spending is just beyond belief.

I'll never buy a Toyota EV as a result. Unless it's a good car and I can pick one up for a reasonable price. Principles! :D
Totally agree. And that's why I ordered a Toyota GR Yaris :D

Just drive downhill. Then tow it uphill.
Actually there is acompany that did this for mining. The distance to haul the dirt/minerals from the quarry to the refinery was too expensive/difficult to make some sort of conveyor belt type system. So they built electric dump trucks in some place in Europe. The way it works is that it's only got enough charge to go up the hill before it's dangerously close to empty. But once filled with dirt at the top, the additional weight of the dirt + the speed at which the alternator slows the decent fully charges the batteries all the way back down.

And so these trucks run forever only needing to change some batteries when required hauling materials down the mountain and travelling back up.

Actually there is acompany that did this for mining. The distance to haul the dirt/minerals from the quarry to the refinery was too expensive/difficult to make some sort of conveyor belt type system. So they built electric dump trucks in some place in Europe. The way it works is that it's only got enough charge to go up the hill before it's dangerously close to empty. But once filled with dirt at the top, the additional weight of the dirt + the speed at which the alternator slows the decent fully charges the batteries all the way back down.

And so these trucks run forever only needing to change some batteries when required hauling materials down the mountain and travelling back up.

I'm curious how they managed to make that work that efficient. Simply due to the dirt is very heavy?

I'm curious how they managed to make that work that efficient. Simply due to the dirt is very heavy?
Yes. Potential energy increased because of the weight differential. The energy to bring the truck up is considered stored. Basic calculations for tossing a ball into the air is F=ma. Where m = mass and a = acceleration. The energy for something to go all the way up is equal when it comes all the way back down.

But because at the top you changed the mass of the object. Suddenly the potential energy is increased due to the mass. Once heading back down the hill the potential energy will switch into kinetc energy, so because you've increased the mass, the kinetic energy is increased. The electric motors will need to slow the truck down significantly while converting the additional energy into battery. In doing so going up is less energy gained than coming down. So you're always in a surplus.

One case study, guy bought a Model X and has been waiting over 2 years for a refund, as Musk promised.

He saw problems and it didn't meet his expectations so he contacted them to return the car and they picked it up.

But he's been making car payments, after stopping briefly, to maintain his credit. He hasn't had the car in over 2 years but have been making payments. Still waiting on hims $116k refund.

Today, more than two years since Tesla took possession of the car, Roman still doesn't have his refund or access to the vehicle, which had a price tag around $116,000 overall, including various options and fees.
Records indicate that Tesla did pick up his Model X, loading it onto a tow truck on March 8, 2020, after which he expected his refund to arrive promptly. His bank advised him to ask the EV maker to initiate a "stop sale," he recalls, and then his Tesla sales representative informed him that his refund would be processed soon.

Instead, several weeks later, as he was still corresponding with Tesla about the status of his return, Roman received a service alert from Tesla telling him to come pick up the electric SUV. The alert explained that it had been repaired and was in a service center in Burbank, California, although he had originally purchased the vehicle in Century City, about a 40-minute drive away.

Roman told CNBC he was astounded by the service alert. He says he never asked for nor authorized any repairs and that Tesla has previously acknowledged he was returning the car. (Correspondence between Roman and Tesla, which he shared with CNBC, confirms his account.)

Roman stopped making payments on the car for a month because he thought everything was moving along properly. Then the bank told him that he had missed a payment and that his credit rating had taken a 30-point hit. When he called to ask about it, he was told Tesla had not issued the stop-sale.

Read in CNBC: https://apple.news/A0w1e_-_wT62T8xtRthM6CQ

He certainly wouldn't have gotten better treatment from a dealer. But maybe he shouldn't have relied on tweets from Musk for a $116k purchase, even though Musk has been using tweets to advertise and promote the product.

Iroboto I have a question about F=MA
It stems from a post on space debris I made the comment "you wouldnt want to get hit with by a fleck of paint travelling at 40,000kph"
then I thought I can work that how the force of the impact its f=ma. first problem the paint is travelling at a constant speed so zero acceleration that would leave me with a force of zero so I thought f=ma is the wrong formula, but then I realised there is an acceleration a negative acceleration zero kph on impact but then you'd have a negative X a positive which is a negative and the force wont be negative so f=ma must be the wrong formula, then I gave up do you where I'm going wrong ?

Iroboto I have a question about F=MA
It stems from a post on space debris I made the comment "you wouldnt want to get hit with by a fleck of paint travelling at 40,000kph"
then I thought I can work that how the force of the impact its f=ma. first problem the paint is travelling at a constant speed so zero acceleration that would leave me with a force of zero so I thought f=ma is the wrong formula, but then I realised there is an acceleration a negative acceleration zero kph on impact but then you'd have a negative X a positive which is a negative and the force wont be negative so f=ma must be the wrong formula, then I gave up do you where I'm going wrong ?
I’m going to page @pcchen as he will likely know the answer.

This might be the wrong way to go about it. But since we are referring to collisions we want to go with momentum calculations. P=mv. Since momentum of static object is 0 and fleck of paint is 40000kph*0.0000001kg. You can get the momentum. When the two collide and you assume mass does not change between the objects momentum should be conserved.
You’d have to work out the momentum transfer onto the human body and that would determine its final velocity. From there you can work out it’s acceleration from 0 to post collision velocity. And that should tell you the force exerted on it.
But this doesn’t take into account pressure. Which the fleck of paint should act like a bullet.

Last edited:
6.17 Joules of energy so should be OK
Though I assume it would pass right through you, which depending where it goes through is either good or bad, going through your eye & brain or heart prolly aint the best, through your arm/shoulder should be right

Back