Electric Vehicle Thread!

love it. Hope to see more of these on the roads. I actually think I've seen something similar on the roads before? Do they make a version that isn't a SUV? But it definitely had that grill and lighting setup.
This is the only BMW with these lights (mine has the laser lights but you can't really tell from a distance). They look way cooler to me than those on all the other BMWs.

The "tall grille" is a design element on the electric 4 series:

BMW i4 (G26): prices, models, range, charging & design | BMW.UK

which shares that design with the conventional 4 series.

I can't think of anything else that you might have seen. I think the first iXs were delivered to customers in late 2021, around November. It's almost as high as an X5 (but slightly longer and slightly narrower), but I think it looks notably smaller. Maybe the 22" wheels make the body look smaller?:

IMG_20220318_123603.jpg

Meanwhile, the i7 looks really funky:

BMW i7 (G70): Discover highlights | BMW.UK

but that's merely being teased right now. The panoramic home theatre screen looks crazy!

This is the only BMW with these lights (mine has the laser lights but you can't really tell from a distance). They look way cooler to me than those on all the other BMWs.

The "tall grille" is a design element on the electric 4 series:

BMW i4 (G26): prices, models, range, charging & design | BMW.UK

which shares that design with the conventional 4 series.

I can't think of anything else that you might have seen. I think the first iXs were delivered to customers in late 2021, around November. It's almost as high as an X5 (but slightly longer and slightly narrower), but I think it looks notably smaller. Maybe the 22" wheels make the body look smaller?:

IMG_20220318_123603.jpg

Meanwhile, the i7 looks really funky:

BMW i7 (G70): Discover highlights | BMW.UK

but that's merely being teased right now. The panoramic home theatre screen looks crazy!
looks bad ass. Hopefully the DRL LEDS never burn out, this is something I've found an issue with the Model S/X series. The DRLs were designed poorly, a small chip burns out and the whole system fails and the entire headlight fixture needs to be replaced (and the labour to remove the bumper). Total cost to replace a DRL on a series S/X is 2500 CAD. or like 1700 euro.

This is why I like other car companies moving to electric because I know in general they do a better job in terms of quality, finish, and reparability. Tesla's are not very good in that regard but they are always pushing hard on the tech front.

Very happy with my new iX.

Drove 142 familiarisation miles today, consuming 2.9 miles per kWh - started with 94%, ended with 48% - 41% at 70mph the rest being a mixture of town and 40/50/60mph. The car reckons I have 180 miles of range left, which seems optimistic.

Comfort, quietness and refinement are just what I was after, time flew by! The speed (0-60mph in 4.6s) is funky and town driving and roundabouts feel effortless. One pedal driving in B mode is really good for pootling about town since the car comes to a halt very smoothly, and the "keep distance" assist is great for a traffic jam (no feet required).

The head up display is GLORIOUS and surprisingly large (guessing: like a 20" 16:9 monitor viewed from 6 feet?) - it's completely addictive. Adaptive navigation stuff in the head up display includes look-ahead road layout and a local map.

The augmented reality video feed for navigation with flashing arrows for turns is fun, too.

The only gotcha seems to be that when I was leaving a town in twilight onto an unlit B road, the main beam switched on automatically and annoyed the driver in front of me. I'm fairly sure it's supposed to "shadow" the beam around the car in front, so I'll have to find out if the default setting is with no shadowing...

Tomorrow I go find out what charging is like when I do a small shopping trip. I haven't had time to get a charger installed at home, since I only decided to buy this car a couple of weeks ago. There's two 50kW chargers within half a mile of home (each at a different shop, Lidl in both cases), so not too painful to charge while shopping. Fingers-crossed!

Very happy with my new iX.

Drove 142 familiarisation miles today, consuming 2.9 miles per kWh - started with 94%, ended with 48% - 41% at 70mph the rest being a mixture of town and 40/50/60mph. The car reckons I have 180 miles of range left, which seems optimistic.

Comfort, quietness and refinement are just what I was after, time flew by! The speed (0-60mph in 4.6s) is funky and town driving and roundabouts feel effortless. One pedal driving in B mode is really good for pootling about town since the car comes to a halt very smoothly, and the "keep distance" assist is great for a traffic jam (no feet required).

The head up display is GLORIOUS and surprisingly large (guessing: like a 20" 16:9 monitor viewed from 6 feet?) - it's completely addictive. Adaptive navigation stuff in the head up display includes look-ahead road layout and a local map.

The augmented reality video feed for navigation with flashing arrows for turns is fun, too.

The only gotcha seems to be that when I was leaving a town in twilight onto an unlit B road, the main beam switched on automatically and annoyed the driver in front of me. I'm fairly sure it's supposed to "shadow" the beam around the car in front, so I'll have to find out if the default setting is with no shadowing...

Tomorrow I go find out what charging is like when I do a small shopping trip. I haven't had time to get a charger installed at home, since I only decided to buy this car a couple of weeks ago. There's two 50kW chargers within half a mile of home (each at a different shop, Lidl in both cases), so not too painful to charge while shopping. Fingers-crossed!
Definitely get the home charger. Totally worth it.

Lol. Look at what I got! They offered me a free car!

ROFL

IMG_20220331_215735.jpg

I've submitted the car configurator page. I'm pretty sure it will be voided tho hahahaha ha

Edit
I also sent the screenshot to them via Instagram DM and they reply with "we'll have more info, stay tuned!"

Very very vague. Either they will have a surprise for me (I'll be happy even if it's only an ioniq hat or something LOL) or it was just an intern that was simply providing a stock reply for anyone asking about ioniq 5.

50kW charging (38kWh top-up to 80%) took about 40 minutes yesterday. My local charger can only fast charge a single car, so I waited 10 minutes for someone else to finish their charge.

I had to install the PodPoint app to get going, but didn't need to create an account, just put in my credit card details. I was under the impression that all chargers are meant to have contactless as a payment option in the UK, so I'm a bit wrong there. Maybe all new ones now do.

I have now signed-up with the app, since my card details can be saved. There's a lot of their chargers at Lidl and Tesco across the UK, so it seems worthwhile. There's no subscription or "guest" differential pricing, which makes PodPoint easy to recommend.

50kW charging (38kWh top-up to 80%) took about 40 minutes yesterday. My local charger can only fast charge a single car, so I waited 10 minutes for someone else to finish their charge.

I had to install the PodPoint app to get going, but didn't need to create an account, just put in my credit card details. I was under the impression that all chargers are meant to have contactless as a payment option in the UK, so I'm a bit wrong there. Maybe all new ones now do.

I have now signed-up with the app, since my card details can be saved. There's a lot of their chargers at Lidl and Tesco across the UK, so it seems worthwhile. There's no subscription or "guest" differential pricing, which makes PodPoint easy to recommend.
A home charger is about 200 pounds I think. Or should not be much more than that. Getting it installed will cost more however (drawing a 40amp or 60amp cable to garage) . But well worth it!

A home charger is about 200 pounds I think. Or should not be much more than that. Getting it installed will cost more however (drawing a 40amp or 60amp cable to garage) . But well worth it!
A 7kW home charger will be in the region of £1200 to install.

To go beyond that, with 11kW (my car can't consume 22kW from AC) will cost thousands (3-6000, likely) as my house does not have a three-phase supply. The network infrastructure provider needs to dig up the road to run two more phases into my house to make that work!

I'm planning to stick with 7kW. There'll be more costs as I have some AC switching infrastructure upgrades to do first.

A 7kW home charger will be in the region of £1200 to install.

To go beyond that, with 11kW (my car can't consume 22kW from AC) will cost thousands (3-6000, likely) as my house does not have a three-phase supply. The network infrastructure provider needs to dig up the road to run two more phases into my house to make that work!

I'm planning to stick with 7kW. There'll be more costs as I have some AC switching infrastructure upgrades to do first.
7KW is sufficient, approximately 10 hrs for a full charge maybe a little more. I had similar challenges here as well, had to do some upgrades to support home charging. ultimately if you can get a full charge over night you are good. The standard wall outlet will often never be sufficient.

7KW is sufficient, approximately 10 hrs for a full charge maybe a little more. I had similar challenges here as well, had to do some upgrades to support home charging. ultimately if you can get a full charge over night you are good. The standard wall outlet will often never be sufficient.
This car has a 111kWh, but usable 105.2kWh, battery :cool:

The official charging time from 0 - 100% is 16 hours with a 7.4kW charger :oops:

Yesterday I drove 43 miles, all suburban, 20/30/40/50/60 mph speed limits. The car gave me a perfect 10 driving score! 10/10 for each of anticipation, acceleration and speed. So with my "hypermiling" I achieved 3.2 miles per kWh.

Despite driving during "rush hour" (5-7pm) the car was stopped only about 15-20 times. It's interesting how driving calmly with the one pedal mode feels so smooth and how rarely the car is actually stopped.

This car has a 111kWh, but usable 105.2kWh, battery :cool:

The official charging time from 0 - 100% is 16 hours with a 7.4kW charger :oops:

Yesterday I drove 43 miles, all suburban, 20/30/40/50/60 mph speed limits. The car gave me a perfect 10 driving score! 10/10 for each of anticipation, acceleration and speed. So with my "hypermiling" I achieved 3.2 miles per kWh.

Despite driving during "rush hour" (5-7pm) the car was stopped only about 15-20 times. It's interesting how driving calmly with the one pedal mode feels so smooth and how rarely the car is actually stopped.
Nice! Big battery!
Yes, once you get used to single pedal driving it’s quite nice how much materials you save on brakes. I’ve never had to replace my pads or discs and this is my 5th year of driving in ‘22. So much of it is regenerative braking. winter time is the only time our brakes are really used regularly and even then it’s still fairly gentle.

It's interesting how driving calmly with the one pedal mode feels so smooth and how rarely the car is actually stopped.

Can you explain more how does it feel? Does it like when driving up hills with ICE car? So reducing the "gas" pedal press will make the car goes slower

Btw what when you want to relax your leg a wee bit? In ICE or EV with zero regen, lifting the feet to relax a wee bit wont make the car decelerate, but with high regen, it'll decelerate.

Can you explain more how does it feel? Does it like when driving up hills with ICE car? So reducing the "gas" pedal press will make the car goes slower

Btw what when you want to relax your leg a wee bit? In ICE or EV with zero regen, lifting the feet to relax a wee bit wont make the car decelerate, but with high regen, it'll decelerate.
at higher speeds it has less braking power, that way you don't cause brake checking, as you approach slower speeds the regenerative power is stronger. But you generally don't take your foot off the gas pedal to rest as you start slowing down. If you need to rest you can in lane cruise control, or self driving features.

The car feels overall better than ICE, no gear changes, it's always has maximum torque so you feel like you're hauling whenever you need to drop the pedal.

I remember when I went to Disneyland as a kid. A very long time ago.

One of the rides I liked best was a racing car thing. The cars straddled this bar so it would be hard to drive the car off the course. They were one-pedaled, so they must have figured having a break pedal would be needlessly complicated for kiddies to deal with. When you lifted pressure off the pedal, it stopped pretty quickly.

You got the hand of it pretty quickly, though maybe slowing down into turns wasn't always smooth.

Ah so that's why the ioniq I tried quite awhile ago didn't feel good with max regen. I didn't use cruise control. It does feels great with zero regen mode tho (it still does regen via the brake pedal)

Now I'm curious, how cruise control handles highway and in-city traffic of Indonesia hahaha.

With the BMW, B mode (braking, "one pedal") makes the accelerator pedal a literal "power pedal". So without moving my foot, going up a hill the car will slow down and going down a hill the car will speed up.

The BMW has a power gauge and the needle holds steady depending upon the position of the pedal. So, like a conventional car, going up a hill I need to add more power to stay at the same speed. And going down a hill, I need to lift off.

Lifting off, therefore, doesn't induce regen braking unless the needle actually falls below the 0% power mark.

With stopping it's literally a matter of gradually reducing the power. So I can trickle along at 1mph for as long as I want with a small amount of pressure and then letting off the pedal brings the car to a lovely soft stop.

In D mode there are sub-modes. There are 3 levels of regen, none of which I've tried. There's also an adaptive mode. This mode uses traffic lights, cars in front and map data to decide what to do when you let off the pedal. So it won't necessarily brake, it will coast, if there's no reason to stop. It won't stop on its own, though, merely slow down. I have to use the brake pedal to make it stop - which was a surprise. And soft stops seem impossible because D will try to crawl forwards like any automatic car in D mode.

The cruise control can be set at any speed as far as I can tell, even 20mph. It feels a bit sketchy on complex town streets though! So I only use cruise control for simple 40mph or higher roads. That is your classic feet off the pedals mode. And just lightly holding the steering wheel too as it holds the lane.

It will also do a lane change for you, but will refuse if there's a car too close behind or near to the blind spot. Just "half click" the indicator stalk and it will do the lane change.

The miles just fly by.

Nice! Big battery!
Yes, once you get used to single pedal driving it’s quite nice how much materials you save on brakes. I’ve never had to replace my pads or discs and this is my 5th year of driving in ‘22. So much of it is regenerative braking. winter time is the only time our brakes are really used regularly and even then it’s still fairly gentle.

I have my Prius since 2008 and it still has the original brakes! Only 170.000km or so though. Had to have some dust removed from them once when they squealed a bit but that’s it!

Obviously I anticipate and keep distance a lot [emoji16]

The car still feels very modern in terms of hearing adds from other cars touting features that have been in this since 2007. But I do miss stuff like Bluetooth Audio … yes it’s that old! And it’s not easy to replace the audio it seems.

Still that BMW sounds mighty fine too.

I have my Prius since 2008 and it still has the original brakes! Only 170.000km or so though. Had to have some dust removed from them once when they squealed a bit but that’s it!

Obviously I anticipate and keep distance a lot [emoji16]
Nice! That is actually super impressive!

Back