EB Employee plays PS3

Status
Not open for further replies.
:oops: That has to be a typo.

No, but he really works at the DONAUDAMPFSCHIFFAHRTSELEKTRIZITAETENHAUPTBETRIEBSWERKBAUUNTERBEAMTENGESELLSCHAFT (aka. the club for subordinate officials of the head office management of the Danube steamboat electrical services ).

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=4498188&postcount=15

Well, speaking with a dev that was there he said they could just do more with the PS3's ability to handle shaders. There were some distortion effects that were credited (by the developer) to the PS3's shader abilities that were absent in the same 360 title. It wasn't game changing or anything, but it looked cool.

I still find that hard to believe. Difficulty implementing shaders, quirkiness that wil take some time to get a grip on, suboptimal development tools (unlikely?), etc. I can understand, but there doesn't seem to be anything intrinsically superior in the G71 shaders vs. Xenos that would lead to substantially noticeable on-screen effects. Perhaps that is the case, but it just seems a hard explanation to accept given what we (think we) know about the two architectures. The just aren't that different re: shader power.

Dude I can vouch for the original posters comments and I have my own pictures to back it up. I don't know what regional manager you talked to but they lied big time. I am a manger that was also at the conference I wish that I had taken more than my 1.3 mega pixel cell phone to take pictures of the proceedings. Anyway to authenticate that there was both a blu-ray presence and that Gears of War was great (but no PS3 game) I came away with a little info that may be useful here.

1) The reason that the PS3 already looks as good if not better than the 360 ((according to Valve(Half-Life 2) and Vivendi(F.E.A.R.))) from the booths was that the Cell processor was orignally going to be a graphics processor as well for the PS3 (yes there were originally going to be two in the system) but the developers at the show stated that once NVIDIA joined the Sony ranks they backed off of that plan and decided to let NVIDIA build the RSX instead. Now this is where the rub is though (form the developer's mouths not mine) although the RSX (PS3 graphics card) and the XENOS (XBOX360 graphics card) are comparable the ability to use the Cell to share the rendering of textures and special effects gives the PS3 a decided advantage and that difference will only grow as time passes.

2) Microsoft did have a respectable presence at the show with HDVD. Peter Moore was there and they sponsored our dinner Friday night where they unveiled both the ZUNE (iPOD killer which will be on sale at Gamestop or EB near you just in time for the holidays) and the XBOX360 HDVD drive (which will retail for 199.99 and comes with a copy of King Kong on HDVD and will launch Nov 14). Sony countered this announcement with one of their own though that as of yet I have not seen leaked anywhere else and that is.......(as announced by the lady at the blu-ray booth during our show)....Talladega Nights on BLU-Ray will be included with every PS3 at launch. Also to note after the Microsoft dinner well all got to go hands on with HDVD, Zune, Gears of War (Mulitplayer), WWE Smackdown vs. Raw 2007, Splinter Cell D.A., Lost Planet, and some others that I didn't get to play. They were all good and seemed near final builds.

3) As far as PS3 presence goes Sony had the biggest display with Resistance, NBA 07 ( which later became Resistance after nobody wanted to play NBA), Genji, and Motorstorm. Sega had a booth to note which had Virtua Fighter 5 (in video form only) and more interestingly Sonic playable on both PS3 and XBOX360 side by side. One of the managers asked why the PS3 version looked better as far as lighting and contrast and accused Sega of connecting the 360 version up with composite cables and the PS3 with HDMI to make the difference hit home. At which point the rep showed us all that both units were connected with component cables and running on the same make and model television. The skeptics accused him of lying even after he turned the monitors to reveal both rear connections. He later stated that again the difference was the Cell and not the video card at the time.

http://img242.imageshack.us/img242/4239/dsc00077uh2.jpg
http://img157.imageshack.us/img157/4578/dsc00072vh9.jpg
http://img178.imageshack.us/img178/9990/dsc00068yy2.jpg
http://img157.imageshack.us/img157/2614/dsc00071tw8.jpg

1) The reason that the PS3 already looks as good if not better than the 360 ((according to Valve(Half-Life 2) and Vivendi(F.E.A.R.))) from the booths was that the Cell processor was orignally going to be a graphics processor as well for the PS3 (yes there were originally going to be two in the system) but the developers at the show stated that once NVIDIA joined the Sony ranks they backed off of that plan and decided to let NVIDIA build the RSX instead. Now this is where the rub is though (form the developer's mouths not mine) although the RSX (PS3 graphics card) and the XENOS (XBOX360 graphics card) are comparable the ability to use the Cell to share the rendering of textures and special effects gives the PS3 a decided advantage and that difference will only grow as time passes.

Ooooh, nAo is going to get you!

Thanks for your impressions D1anonly, if you can tell us any more about you're opinions on the PS3 games shown I'd appreciate it. :)

D1anonly said:
Talladega Nights on BLU-Ray will be included with every PS3 at launch.
pretty cool stuff.

Dude I can vouch for the original posters comments and I have my own pictures to back it up...I am a manger that was also at the conference I wish that I had taken more than my 1.3 mega pixel cell phone to take pictures of the proceedings.
Thanks for appearing with your input.
1) ...Now this is where the rub is though (form the developer's mouths not mine) although the RSX (PS3 graphics card) and the XENOS (XBOX360 graphics card) are comparable the ability to use the Cell to share the rendering of textures and special effects gives the PS3 a decided advantage and that difference will only grow as time passes.
This is a possible reason. What's confusing is the devs talking about shader power, and by that we assume they mean the shaders on the GPU. But if they talk about shaders with an all-encompassing 'bits of code that perform different graphics functions' definition, the contribution from Cell would, by their definition, count as greater shader performance in PS3. And I doubt there's many on this board who aren't willing to believe Cell has something to contribute there.

Logically, if the game engine is the same between platforms, I would expect a few SPE's be going spare which could be used visual effects somehow. Cell's versatility was always able to provide physics, animation, graphics, whatever the devs choose. I guess the real interest here is that they're making use of it already, if the consensus was PS3 games are looking better. One of the big concerns with Cell was whether devs would be able to leverage it. And in cross-platform too! I'd have thought they wouldn't bother to write Cell extras. I wonder if Sony's tools (PSSG?) provide an easy way to turn Cell to extra graphics rendering?

What's Talladega Nights? Is it a romantic comedy? Does it have Jennifer Lopez?
Are you sure the TV the xbox360 Sonic was connected to wasn't just adjusted wonky?

PSP came with the Spiderman 2, a bit more high profile movie would've been nice with PS3 too.
Well, it's possible in EU it'll come with some another movie, Nascar and Will Ferrell aren't really such household names here as they might be in the US.
Kingdom Of Heaven could be a good canditate, it was received much better outside US anyway :D
Edit: Ok, Talladega Nights, from the short of what I read about it, is some kind of non cgi Pixar's "Cars"

Last edited by a moderator:
Will Ferrell and NASCAR...mmmmmmmm.

Oh hang on, for a moment there I thought I knew what those things were. Isn't NASCAR the one that goes around and around and around an oval track?

Can't find server.

They work fine for me.
Will Ferrell and NASCAR...mmmmmmmm.

Oh hang on, for a moment there I thought I knew what those things were. Isn't NASCAR the one that goes around and around and around an oval track?
Yeah :LOL:, never seen the movie myself. Personally I dont find Will Ferrell all that funny (though sometimes he can have his moments), my sister loves the guy's jokes for some odd reason so I guess she will enjoy it.

us box office:
Talladega Nights ($146 m) vs. King Kong ($218 m)
= hd dvd & 360 win by default :p

(actually a 06 movie should appeal more than a 05 movie)
you're comparing a comedy featuring a sport the majority of the US population doesnt even care for, to a epic action movie made by someone with a good track record, which is based on a creature that has a huge history in classic movies.

something isnt right there. :LOL:
anyways, free is free, and ill take it if they offer it.

Logically, if the game engine is the same between platforms, I would expect a few SPE's be going spare which could be used visual effects somehow. Cell's versatility was always able to provide physics, animation, graphics, whatever the devs choose. I guess the real interest here is that they're making use of it already, if the consensus was PS3 games are looking better. One of the big concerns with Cell was whether devs would be able to leverage it. And in cross-platform too! I'd have thought they wouldn't bother to write Cell extras. I wonder if Sony's tools (PSSG?) provide an easy way to turn Cell to extra graphics rendering?

That and games already in 1080p and at 60 fps on the PS3. Seems like lots of theory is being thrown out of the window now that the PS3 is about to come out.

Remember free 2xAA and 5% hit on 4xAA? Remember only a few 1080p games will hit the PS3 in its whole generation?

Remember when people said ports of 360 games on the PS3 would be the same, because the PS3 and 360 were just alike? Seems like alot of the theory talk was wrong.:???:

I want to say this: if the Talladega Nights rumor is true - then awesome! That movie is hilarious, and a great fit for the PS3 initial target demographic. I've been hoping for a BD pack-in, and this would be a great one for me.

Will Farrell = Gold

That and games already in 1080p and at 60 fps on the PS3. Seems like lots of theory is being thrown out of the window now that the PS3 is about to come out.

Remember free 2xAA and 5% hit on 4xAA? Remember only a few 1080p games will hit the PS3 in its whole generation?

Remember when people said ports of 360 games on the PS3 would be the same, because the PS3 and 360 were just alike? Seems like alot of the theory talk was wrong.:???:

T Minus one month and 12 days until we can see for ourselves... I am not really convinced that this is more than "ooh teh P-ES three!!" type banter in general. Its a new device.... so people are hyped up on it, and it uses an all digital connection to sony's best LCD displays... IT SHOULD LOOK DAMN GOOD.

LCDS are selling like hotcakes because they are brighter, have better pop and clarity compared to most plasmas, AND they more readily come in 1080P...

Lets chill and wait and see what happens when the X360's dashboard update comes out allowing for 1080P direct out from the system. Its only a little while longer.

Come now, use some common sense....

Now you're stretching regarding the AA comment. If you do things within the correct requirements you may get the benefits from the platform. Anyway, NOT every PS3 game will come with 1080p, some will support it native, some will upscale to that res. It's a resoloution change, there's nothing I can see in the PS3 that would give it some sort of "resoloution advantage" in this regard.

The prots you mention if they do look any different at all it could be attributed to more development time since the PS3 versions of most multiplatform games are coming out later.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back