DriveClub by Evolution Studios [PS4]

Well, I bought it - or at least some version of it (Plus version, though I still had to pay for it - so I think it's the full game for a slightly cheaper price).

Anyway - it is exactly as I feared; The 30fps gameplay completely ruines it for me. It's smooth, yes, but the sensation of speed isn't there. Unfortunately, the graphics, while nice, doesn't make the game a better one. I'll probably give it another go, but if I could, I'd give it back for a refund.

Damn, your videos are making me excited ! Watched another review and he was also enthusiastic about the handling and the tracks.
looks like GS needs to do a reality check with its jaded reviewers after Destiny and this score.

Handling is very good...iirc it is exactly PGR style (it is also funny because the have this fame points instead of the kudo points).

I am still not sure what to think about the graphics...there are some nice things for sure, but also some quite distracting ones, like yesterday when I did another race the sun was quite deep and was reflected in the window, but the shadows casted by the trees from the side where so low res and blocky, that every few seconds you got super blocky shadows in your view...not nice imo.

Still some aliasing when looking for it, but as others noted, while driving and concentrating on the track it is mostly not noticeable.

Ligthing is of course the star of the show...as in every Evolution game so far.

Are you using a capture card Globalisateur? They look so much sharper than mine and shows the details much better. I demand more shots:).

Only the pause trick -> share -> export USB

Grfb.jpg

http://i.picpar.com/Crfb.jpg
http://i.picpar.com/Drfb.jpg
http://i.picpar.com/Erfb.jpg
http://i.picpar.com/Frfb.jpg

The 30fps gameplay completely ruines it for me. It's smooth, yes, but the sensation of speed isn't there.

wow, this is like the only time I've read this on the web!? (well certainly the first time in much reading of impressions anyway)

Last edited by a moderator:
I guess it has primarely to do with expectations. Playing a game featuring fast cars, the main incentive for me is being immersed. All my racing games I own and play are 60fps games, so going to a 30fps game is strikingly obvious to me. Don't let that put you off though - you may find it less of an issue.

I guess it has primarely to do with expectations. Playing a game featuring fast cars, the main incentive for me is being immersed. All my racing games I own and play are 60fps games, so going to a 30fps game is strikingly obvious to me. Don't let that put you off though - you may find it less of an issue.

I just found it odd that most comments on t' web are 'wow the sense of speed is amazing' and I assume those folk play 60fps games too.

Has anyone started a . n B3D club yet ?

People who could join the servers say that there are many one-member clubs :) Because you join, create it, but someone other who would join your club can't connect to the network :)

Must be getting better than expected sales.

Guess it goes to show though that if your game relies on online features an open beta test to stress the servers before release is definitely a good idea.

I just found it odd that most comments on t' web are 'wow the sense of speed is amazing' and I assume those folk play 60fps games too.
Sense of speed isn't what Phil is talking about. 30 fps has a visceral separation for players, making it that much more obvious that you're watching a TV rather than driving a car. 30 fps with lots of moblur can seem really faster in terms of motion, but also not as immersive as a slower feeling 60 fps-er.

It basically boils down to the 30 or 60 fps preference of individuals for whatever genre. Phil's a framerate whore!

Incidentally, isn't there a free version by way of a trial? Or did Phil jump the gun and get it ahead of the free version, to his regret?

Free version is postponed until network problems are solved.
Its really amusing that there ARE network issues. I mean, They knew everyone with psplus will obviously play their game and that number is in the millions.and those are not even playing it yet,its just the actual purchase and pre orders that are taking it for a spin.

Its as if they were not expecting it to sell at all !

They've spoken of server capacity, haven't they? It should really be on the cloud and expandable, so that's rather confusing. Edit: As EG comments point out, Sony is now charging for online gaming. What is that fee covering if not effective online service?

Shifty Geezer I want to believe such f*ckup as this will force sony to grasp that you just said and fix the service.

Incidentally, isn't there a free version by way of a trial? Or did Phil jump the gun and get it ahead of the free version, to his regret?

I have no idea to be honest. The PSN store had it on the front page for a price of CHF 79.90 (that's Swiss francs btw), but after clicking on it, there was only the Plus-Version with a yellow special price of CHF 49.90. I checked to see if there was a free version somewhere available, but didn't find one, so I jumped the gun on the CHF 49.90 one, thinking it's the full version at a CHF 30 discount.

What was odd, is that the game immediately started with a drive in a Mercedes, just like a demo would. Only after completing the 2 lap race, did I see any menu with minimal options (basically, leaderboard, continue challenge and some other stuff, that I think was greyed out). Looked a bit weird really. At this time, the game also informed me that no connection could be established to the server (but I was online in PSN), so maybe that caused the stripped menu. I have no idea really.

I'm not too concerned about spending the money really, though if there was a mechanic in place that lets you return games within a 24 hour window with an automatic refund (like the Android store does for example) I think I would have done it. Given I'm more or less stuck with the game now, I'll give it another go for sure, at the very least to check what exactly I got for my money. :p

Don't give up on it! I got used to the 30fps quite fast and the driving gets really good. Also do me and yourself a favor and give the gyro driving a fair shake.

I like btw that the game has an option to look into the turn a bit automatically.

The faster cars sound very good btw.

Man, B3D is the only sane place for game impressions ! Thank god I stumbled on it long back, looking for graphics discussions it was :D ! Arwin, I think I will just go ahead and buy the PSPlus upgrade edition, it already feels like as if its on "sale" , at that price and the way you guys are enjoying it, I don't see why I wouldn't !

Back