DriveClub by Evolution Studios [PS4]

I really enjoyed the Project Gotham Racing series on Xbox 360 and really wanted to enjoy this game, but for some reason I never got good at it. Maybe because I had to switch cars all the time. Plus, the multiplayer was crap. It took forever to connect, didn't allow you to select a car type and stick with it and didn't support private races. Maybe it does now, I haven't checked in a while and can't remember what the upgrades have been.

I've never played a second of DriveClub multiplayer, mostly because I've never found joy in racing random folks. Too many assholes on the road online, as well as in real life ;) I found real joy in the depth of the car roster in Single Player, and I've come to know and love certain cars, which i repeatedly drive if I'm just mucking around trying to beat prior time trial records.

Now that I've mostly completed the game, I play a lot of repeated back-to-back runs of the same course in the same car, in Time Trial mode. I'm in the top 100 in the world for one particular track, which I love to race. Maybe just ignore live multiplayer and just race against yourself? The Tour is excellent if you persevere.

It's the best non-sim driving game I've ever played, and my prior fave was PGR4.

I'll probably give single player another go at some point. I do like to try to beat my friend's times. I probably need to be a more cautious driver. There's usually a big crash I can't recover from.

The PS+ version of DriveClub seems overly crippled considering how long it took to be released - it's really just a very limited demo with the vast majority of the game locked behind the paywall. Also, I utterly suck at this game apparently (12th is the new 1st?)

They promised India-only from the very start, ~10 cars [there were few free ones between launch and now, so they are all added].

The PS+ version of DriveClub seems overly crippled considering how long it took to be released - it's really just a very limited demo with the vast majority of the game locked behind the paywall. Also, I utterly suck at this game apparently (12th is the new 1st?)

Must learnt the tracks, avoid the Audi, and use motion controls if you're used to a wheel (or real cars)

If you grabbed the Apex and Redline DLC tours when they were free on the PS Store they add a bunch more races at the other locations to the PS Plus version.

just went back randomnlyto this game sa my nephew was around and we fell in love again ! had forgotten about it for so long now thanks to Bloodborne and The Witcher 3 , gonna play some races again now !

CJBUzIQVEAA5vvd.jpg

It's funny.
That happened to me a few times lately, of talking to people who have been exposed to video games in the past, but not for many years. Their shock when I show them how some games can look now is priceless.
The "omg that's not real?? It's a GAME?!?" and "OMG THIS IS LIKE VIRTUAL REALITY" I heard..... Bless their hearts.

Yeah definitely. that happened to me also when i showed the video of The Sorcerer to some people. the first time they viewed it they thought It was a real set with real people. Only the goblin was CG they said.
The Unreal Engine 4 Paris appartment is really photorealistic too ! Now the next step would be to have such graphic quality in VR I believe.

Love the way the camera shakes at high speeds ! Me and nephew had some gala time banging AI racers and winning races in the most obscene ways , lol ! Had a laugh every time we won after driving like maniacs :D , emergent gameplay I say ;) !

i have not liked and played a racing game as much a this one since PS2 era. And all i'm doing are single races or time trial. I do not even have half of the stars of the solo mode.
Karamazov, I swear you're exactly like me when it comes to Driveclub lol
I've also not even done half the stars of the main tour and get most of my enjoyment from single races/time trials and obsessing over the ridiculous graphics, heh.

There are some small(ish) issues I have graphically with the game that I hope can get patched in:

Complete lack of motion blur on the car alloys/tires when the cars are at speed. This completely breaks the immersion for replay eye-candy because it appears that the cars are moving much slower than they should and looks artificial.
Would be great if the cars(at least in replays, gameplay is a bonus) receive motion blur on the alloys/tires in a future game update....only because it appears that it isnt too hardware intensive and was actually a feature properly implemented 2 generations on Gran Turismo 3 on the PS2.

Below are some examples of exactly what I'm referring to in other games from an older generation:

Gran Turismo 3: (basic implimentation without full screen motion but very convincing nonetheless for the effective blurring of the alloys/tires- which is my point)

hyU4srlQ

Gran Turismo 5:

CaaqTLQy

VkfYdhjS

Project Gotham Racing 4:

eHy7qeE6

...and here is a screenshot I took of a Driveclub replay where you can clearly see the lack of motion blur on the Ferrari's alloys/tires even though you can see the background is blurring slightly to convey at least some form of speed in movement:

Fd52iHNC

Also, here's why I think we need an Exposure or Contrast setting to brighten up dry daytime sunny conditions in Driveclub.
(Yes I know there's a "Brightness" setting in the display options but that's actually for controlling the game's black level output, similar to how most brightness settings work on our HDTV's- The more you increase the brightness...the more the image looks washed out and devoid of any contrast/dynamic range)

Imho, I feel that this game looks a lot more accurate, pleasing to the eye and realistic when daytime settings in dry sunny conditions give a fairly bright image. There are certain tracks in Chile for example (Chungara Lake, Autodromo Frontera) where racing at around 13:00 in dry sunny conditions is oppressively dark, considering you're racing in a hot desert-like area. In cockpit view it's really apparent too.

Here are some pics to illustrate my point:

17928354038_bba882c2a2_c.jpg

17981210098_6c33eccc81_c.jpg

18033308569_d9441696a8_c.jpg

18031785290_537bab6413_c.jpg

Gameplay/replays doesn't normally look as bright and pleasing to the eye as the photomode pics above imo.

Anyway...sorry for the long a*s first post but this is what I feel this beautiful game needs imho

Driveclub-9.jpg

It might depend on the camera settings while taking a shot.

That, my friend...is photomode.
I'm talking about gameplay and replays. Never have the wheels/alloys blurred in motion so elegantly like the F50 pic you posted, in actual gameplay or replays.

Back