Dreams : create, share & play [PS4, PS5]

Heh, late to the party much? [emoji16] It indeed doesn’t use polygons but point clouds of 256 points with varying distance from the center, if I remember correctly.

Seeing some of the stuff that was shown for real now and playing it ... it’s a shame I can’t actually comment on it.

Yay, got in too! Really weird to suddenly finally be able to play around with this!

I am in too.
How does the graphics engine work?
It has a very interesting aesthetics and surfaces have a softy interesting look.
It almost give the impression that it is using something else instead of polygons

It is using point rendering mixes with raymarching cube. For shadowing it is a mix of shadow maps and raytraced soft shadow.

How does the graphics engine work?
It has a very interesting aesthetics and surfaces have a softy interesting look.
It almost give the impression that it is using something else instead of polygons
Here is presentation on the old version of the engine. (And the very interesting journey on how they got there.)
.PDF
Apparently quite bit has changed after this.

Last edited:
are all tools unlocked from the begining ? i can't find how to modify the background, or change the shape of my objects, or things like the spiral object that only creates spheres instead, am i doing things wrong ?

You do get some unlocks from the tutorials but I am not sure if they are important ones. I’ve just started on the tutorials, which are pretty helpful so far.

Great news by the way that the MDA is lifted! So ask me anything, I put a bit more time into this tonight.

I think all the tools are unlocked from the beginning. I’ve put in some more time now, and they actually seem to have different toolbars for different workflows, and then lots of stuff is in extra popup Windows (moveable!).

I’ve done the first tutorials up to the first logic stuff and cloning. The tools are really amazing, as you would expect of course, but even then it managed to surprise me at how high the quality is and how easy it is to use with the DualShock, haven’t even tried the move controllers yet. The combined use of motion controls in de DS4 for pointing as well as for twisting grabbed objects, L1 as a shift button, and how hard you grab something affecting your precision for things like moving rotating etc, it’s really sweet stuff.

The logic boards are really wonderful too. I like the little details too like being able to layout the way the lines run on the board for greater clarity especially for more complex scenarios.

Also the running and jumping is really, really direct, so I think many LBP physics haters will be pleased. ;)

You can do so much in this, it is mind boggling to think what people will be making with this. It’s just wonderful that this is actually materializing now. I am already sad that this beta is ending already the 4th.

Oh and being able to select any of your objects or parts and turning it into a glowing object is really nice, one of the quickest visual wows I got out of this. And the material options, making stuff metal and shiny etc, that works well too.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think the beta is helping with that being this year I suppose? It’s supposed to support PSVR at launch, which is not yet in the beta, so I suppose later this year.

Just a few hours in, but I haven’t come across anything yet that even hinted at me that it is a beta. It feels like something that’s been released two years ago. I suppose the lack of any obvious bugs showing up is why they felt comfortable lifting the NDA?

Btw that little multiplayer game with the hammers and the ground made of puzzle pieces etc and other mini games is pretty amazing, so fast and responsive and nicely animated. I’m sure there is a video of it out there already.

Last edited by a moderator:
Pretty incredible stuff lol. In awe by the range and fidelity of the world builder and how it comes altogether so well.

How stable is it for a beta?

I've only been playing games/levels (no time to create although I did go through half the tutorials). I only had one issue where it could have been just where I always use the rest mode as restarting Dreams fixed it

Just a few hours in, but I haven’t come across anything yet that even hinted at me that it is a beta. It feels like something that’s been released two years ago. I suppose the lack of any obvious bugs showing up is why they felt comfortable lifting the NDA?

Btw that little multiplayer game with the hammers and the ground made of puzzle pieces etc and other mini games is pretty amazing, so fast and responsive and nicely animated. I’m sure there is a video of it out there already.

There's a surprising amount of highly polished mini games, I think the hammer one is a Mm one but there's plenty of really good games and concepts out there. There's a fair share of 'wonky' mini games but that doesn't stop them being a fun blast of something 'different'. In particular there's a couple marble games that are quite good, again specifically the Blue Marble game (first level is a clear homage to Sonic) - really good controls and feels like a full game IMHO.

My biggest issue is finding and filtering isn't great...I've been finding good levels, following and liking those creators then seeing what else they've made...seems to get the best results, but I'm not sure how to filter creators/levels liked or anything like that (might be me though).

DyBQg-mWkA4N9oI

Not bad, not bad at all

Last edited:
Glad to see the more detailed texturing. Things were looking pretty 'flat' in a lot of content, but those recent tweets show it's a matter of work rather than engine limitations.

Can someone do a couple of tests? 1) How big a level can you create? Some have voiced concerns that the engine can't cope with large levels full of geometry. 2) How far can the physics go? Can you set up an avalanche with loads of objects? Can you shatter objects procedurally?

That's probably true. And considering there are millions of Unity users, and you can't charge for your Dreams creation or make a living from it*, it'll be a small fraction of hobbiests looking at Dreams enviously and the rest will admire what Dreams is doing and then knuckle down to their work.

* There's the potential for donationware and Patreon etc.

Back