Dreams : create, share & play [PS4, PS5]

How stable is it for a beta?
Very stable. They could ship it like this IMO.
1) How big a level can you create? Some have voiced concerns that the engine can't cope with large levels full of geometry. 2) How far can the physics go? Can you set up an avalanche with loads of objects? Can you shatter objects procedurally?
There is no geometrical size limitation AFAIK. The limit is given by your thermos, so there is a finite number of objects, logic and music but you can zoom in any stuff as big as you want. And cloning and enlarging objects doesn't cost much.

I have seen levels with as much details as many recent games and with tons of animations applied on everything. I'd say a dream with as much details and animations as TLOU on most scenes (excluding textures details where things would have to be simplified) is possible on Dreams if you are smart with the way you deal with the thermos. There are plenty of new tricks and progress to be made. We are not dealing with polygons anymore.

About physics there are already games with physics applied to the grass when you walk on it. I have seen 2 different implementations of physics on grass. Very very convincing stuff. But I haven't seen much dreams yet.

That's probably true. And considering there are millions of Unity users, and you can't charge for your Dreams creation or make a living from it*, it'll be a small fraction of hobbiests looking at Dreams enviously and the rest will admire what Dreams is doing and then knuckle down to their work.

* There's the potential for donationware and Patreon etc.

I don't think he speaks about doing a commercial game inside Dreams but the surprising quality of what have been done in a few weeks by people on an engine they were not knowing. But the best looking project are done by graphic designer or by people with good artistic talent. I know a guy who had one of his assets feature in one MM stream, he draws very well but it was his first 3d creation and he uses moves, easier to sculpt than with DS4. But some people were thinking he works for the industry after he is gifted for this.

DyBQg-ZX4AEiNHJ.jpg

DyBQg-QX0AIluYl.jpg

DyBQg-RX0AcGOb6.jpg

Very stable. They could ship it like this IMO.

There is no geometrical size limitation AFAIK. The limit is given by your thermos, so there is a finite number of objects, logic and music but you can zoom in any stuff as big as you want. And cloning and enlarging objects doesn't cost much.

I have seen levels with as much details as many recent games and with tons of animations applied on everything. I'd say a dream with as much details and animations as TLOU on most scenes (excluding textures details where things would have to be simplified) is possible on Dreams if you are smart with the way you deal with the thermos. There are plenty of new tricks and progress to be made. We are not dealing with polygons anymore.

About physics there are already games with physics applied to the grass when you walk on it. I have seen 2 different implementations of physics on grass. Very very convincing stuff. But I haven't seen much dreams yet.

And you can connect multiple dreams too and each dreams can be a level.

EDIT: here been clever only 6% of the thermo being use

Last edited:
For example there is two big projects but made by pro some artist, some in music. They have QA tester too. Like I said it can be an opportunity to enter into the game industry or maybe the cg movie industry, using other tools after if needed. For example one of the best creator can work for Media Molecule if he wants and this is only the beta.

https://mad-gfx.com/team

They don't look like amateurs at all. ;)

Seeing on resetera:
Now that the NDA is lifted let me give my opinion on it from somebody who has had it since day 1.

Dreams evolution of creations from day 1 to now is mind blowing. It started out with everybody making dash games to now people are making 2d, 3d, 2.5d games and even movies. The longest film in the game is over 20 min long and the longest game is around 30 min currently. There is alot to love and from someone who hasn't made much besides a few text adventures the sky is the limit on what you can create. For people who are concerned about nothing to play come launch don't be because there is a game for everybody and this doesn't even include the campaign or the 100's of MM mini games. In conclusion this game has crazy potential and Im gonna be pretty sad come Feb. 4 when the Dreams beta ends because there just isnt a game like Dreams.

Ask me any questions, I would love to answer any

EDIT: The social interface can progress but there is some poeple of the community with curator roles following some I find great Dreams.

EDIT2: terrain procedural generation in Dreams

Done in one day by one guy

Last edited:
I've only been playing games/levels (no time to create although I did go through half the tutorials). I only had one issue where it could have been just where I always use the rest mode as restarting Dreams fixed it

There's a surprising amount of highly polished mini games, I think the hammer one is a Mm one but there's plenty of really good games and concepts out there. There's a fair share of 'wonky' mini games but that doesn't stop them being a fun blast of something 'different'. In particular there's a couple marble games that are quite good, again specifically the Blue Marble game (first level is a clear homage to Sonic) - really good controls and feels like a full game IMHO.

My biggest issue is finding and filtering isn't great...I've been finding good levels, following and liking those creators then seeing what else they've made...seems to get the best results, but I'm not sure how to filter creators/levels liked or anything like that (might be me though).

Try to follow some curator, follow for example Olit123. He is doing a great selection each week.

Not so much physics, but in the tutorials I was gob-smacked how easy it was to implement a running water and smoke rising effect!

Try to follow some curator, follow for example Olit123. He is doing a great selection each week.

I am following curators but I am unsure how to (for example) just see creations I have liked.

what i really like about their engine is that round things look actually round, like spheres etc... you can check the VIP pool room for best showcase.

Impressive! All that detail... True geometric detail in the columns, the handrails... and the sculptures!

I wonder what we will see in a few months.

The disarmed guys in the tweet did everything alone . This is impressive in less than two months. Some people begins to work as team.

Last edited:
The user created content shows how badly this game needed some dynamic GI. Most user created stuff is very simplistic and clean, and then looks either bland because of the plain lighting, or garish because of the many pointlights added everywhere in an attempt to break the monotony. I bet if the game could do some light bounces even the very geometrically simple environments would look more interesting.

The materials in the Museum example are very encouraging. If that lighting all realtime? If you make a hole in the walls, does the GI change appropriately?

There are different degrees of realtime. Some realtime solutions have a bit of lag between updates. If you knock a hole in a wall, or have a wall of stacked boxes and knock them over, what is the lighting like?

Back