Digital Foundry Article Technical Discussion Archive [2015]

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2015-vs-fast-racing-neo
I'm surprised that article did not make the cut to get insto that thread I actually enjoyed it a lot. It raised a lot of question into my mind, not that I'm questioning the validity of DF analysis but about where console game development and experience stands nowadays.
I miss real consoles and what use to be the console experience, next to no loading plug and play. Patchings is great, I mean how many games remained broken in the past? but nowadays it is out of control.

DF needs to reach out to developers for clarification more often. They had to do an update to their pixel count of 720x640p as being incorrect. They obviously have spoken with Shin'en with some of the developer comments they posted in their article. No need to guess what the resolution is, they should have been able to ask Shin'en what was going on there. Basically, now they are saying if the objects being rendered are up against other objects with a Z-buffer, its a true 720x1280 resolution, but anything up against the sky box loses some pixel density. Shin'en has always been really open about their tech and performance for their games, DF should have simply inquired before making the really low resolution claim. Seeing as how I have played the game for a few hours, I was shocked by the low resolution, and now I can understand why, its not that low.

It's not just a case of 'against the sky box' as clearly in the screenshots the ship is half horizontal res against the road. It's probably the temporal reconstruction that makes it look better in the flesh.
Image1.jpg

DF needs to reach out to developers for clarification more often. They had to do an update to their pixel count of 720x640p as being incorrect. They obviously have spoken with Shin'en with some of the developer comments they posted in their article. No need to guess what the resolution is, they should have been able to ask Shin'en what was going on there. Basically, now they are saying if the objects being rendered are up against other objects with a Z-buffer, its a true 720x1280 resolution, but anything up against the sky box loses some pixel density. Shin'en has always been really open about their tech and performance for their games, DF should have simply inquired before making the really low resolution claim. Seeing as how I have played the game for a few hours, I was shocked by the low resolution, and now I can understand why, its not that low.
Reaching out isnt the problem, it is whether they get a response.:rolleyes:

I can believe that. I don't have a Skell yet, but when sprinting on foot, there are some stutters here and there, most likely from trying to load assets on the fly. Overall, my experience has been really smooth, but I wont be shocked to notice more stutter later when I am flying around in my Skell.

Hmm. Any chance the game could run faster if installed?

Edit: I guess I should say if you buy a digital copy instead of installed. :p

Reaching out isnt the problem, it is whether they get a response.:rolleyes:

No kidding.o_O My point is based on how forthcoming Shin'en has been in the past. Go look back through their twitter feed, and you will see them answering countless questions regarding their games and the tech used in them.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2015-vs-fast-racing-neo
I'm surprised that article did not make the cut to get into that thread I actually enjoyed it a lot. It raised a lot of question into my mind, not that I'm questioning the validity of DF analysis but about where console game development and experience stands nowadays.
I miss real consoles and what use to be the console experience, next to no loading plug and play. Patchings is great, I mean how many games remained broken in the past? but nowadays it is out of control.
Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.

These are some rose tinted views you've got here...just because a game gets patch doe snot means it is broken. It means there might be some minor nuisance that the developers fixed etc etc. While it's true that games in the past didn't have patches, this is not evidence to the claim that they didn't have performance issues or bugs or errors and didn't need fixing. It was because they couldn't in the past not because they didn't have to.

There were plenty of broken games in the pre patch era.

These are some rose tinted views you've got here...just because a game gets patch doe snot means it is broken. It means there might be some minor nuisance that the developers fixed etc etc. While it's true that games in the past didn't have patches, this is not evidence to the claim that they didn't have performance issues or bugs or errors and didn't need fixing. It was because they couldn't in the past not because they didn't have to.

Not that I can remember. Performance issues, yes, framerate issues have been a thing for as long as I can remember, but game breaking bugs and tons of glitches are not something I can remember being a thing in the NES to GC/PS2 days. Not all games are released in a sad shape, but the number has been climbing over the years. A game like AC Unity would have never shipped back in the pre patch era. A lot of these games today are reviewed with rose tinted views on the basis that the reviewer thinks the game will be patched in the future to resolve the issues. Much of this software does get patched, but its often into acceptable shape, not great shape. Game testing prior to release was much more involved prior to patches. Heck, we have day one patches these days because the developer literally shipped an unfinished product. Quality control is certainly less strict these days.

These are some rose tinted views you've got here...
I will go back to that part later.
just because a game gets patch does not means it is broken.
I never stated that, so I won't argue on the matter.
It means there might be some minor nuisance that the developers fixed etc etc. While it's true that games in the past didn't have patches, this is not evidence to the claim that they didn't have performance issues or bugs or errors and didn't need fixing. It was because they couldn't in the past not because they didn't have to.
Well I think you misread or misunderstood what I wrote, the other way around I was not clear enough. I did not meant at all that games were fine back in time. As I wrote a lot of games remained broken and there was no second meaning to it, that how it was. In turn I guess validation process for top games were longer and yet if you messed up... it remained that way for ever.
nowadays patching is out of control, 10GB day one patch are a testament to it though I agree that it is only a quite visible consequence of others deeper issues the industry faces.
I'll try to make myself clearer as the point was not about patching alone, the game is extremely too. In turn I expect loading to be quite good without a need for partial or complete installation instal. What I was trying to say was more global, if I were to tput it in a couple sentence, I would that the heavy subsidizing from the console manufacturers also had an impact on software not necessarily the best one. Limits and constraints are a pain or perceived as such but they also have their positives. Pretty much it is clearer and clearer that old school economics is right and and one way or another toying with the pricing mechanics always as nasty effects even though it can take time for them to materialize. In the context of gaming, as constraints were removed at an accelerated pace on consoles, software guys also had to provide more, which they did out stretching them and the bending the pricing mechanics for their products. To sustained it they turns to more outsourcing crazy big team, etc. Ultimately lots of good studios went out of business, innovation is not that welcome and publisher no longer have that much control on what they are trying to push, imho they are in a situation where they need to do more than what they reasonably can to stand on a twisted market. As a result you see more and more broken games on release, requiring significant patching. And things get worse they are so outstretched that games are also in many no longer optimized, instal are out of control, patches size too, pretty much consoles almost deals with a PC type environment where any lacking of the software will be taken care of later or possibly newer hardware (bigger hdd, or faster hardware). The phenomenon has been rampant but as this gen remove pretty much any constraints consoles usually dealt with (RAM and storage foremost) it gets extremely all of sudden that publishers are losing control of their production; they are overheated, a couple iterations of big franchises are getting pretty broken on PC. I believe it will happen more and more and it may in case affect the primary SKU they target,the pPS4, though the XB1 is more likely to face such issue first. When some patch are heavier than the PS360 of games well you know there is something fishy. I think that they no longer have the manpower, the margin to really sustain the content they want to push out and quality control is going down and quality is next.

So back to my old consoles era, definitely it has a lot of downside, downside that can be alleviated by nowadays means (both tech and man power). That game show that nice things can be done with overall pretty light asset, conservative processing power, etc. I would add that emulator makes me feel the same, some PSP/PS2/GCN game looks quite nice with proper tweaking, not next gen but it is imho quite telling.
I would say subsidized hardware in turn drove software developers in overheating mode, they lost control and the experience is suffering.

Exactly what I worote.

I uploaded a couple shots directly from m Wii U. Cant get any higher quality than this. Shin'en reply made me assume rendering at 1280x720 with drops to 640x720, but perhapssomething more creative is in place?

Attachments

• WiiU_screenshot_TV_012F0.jpg
    WiiU_screenshot_TV_012F0.jpg
    480.5 KB · Views: 31
  • WiiU_screenshot_TV_012F0.jpg
    WiiU_screenshot_TV_012F0.jpg
    482.2 KB · Views: 32
I uploaded a couple shots directly from m Wii U. Cant get any higher quality than this. Shin'en reply made me assume rendering at 1280x720 with drops to 640x720, but perhapssomething more creative is in place?

Why dont you just ask the developer?

:runaway:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back