Digital Foundry Article Technical Discussion Archive [2015]

Discussion in 'Console Technology' started by DSoup, Jan 2, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Scott_Arm

Legend

It's not the same as the method sebbbi talked about.

2. Shortbread

Shortbread Island Hopper
    Veteran

Ok, I got this...

So this "temporal filtering" is rendered at a lower resolution, then mixed/combined with 2x MSAA, and lastly upscaled to meet the native render of the game (PS4/1080p)? Correct?

So the native game render (XB1/900p) is processed first, then the temporal filtering and 2x MSAA combination is applied afterwards? Correct? If so, why the different arrangement choices between the two (PS4/XB1)?

Edit: After re-reading this particular section I'm just lost. This IMHO, just sounds like a more updated/advanced version of Temporal Reprojection with a more complex combination of post-processing (temporal filtering) and AA solution (2x MSAA), on achieving the needed IQ.

#2342 Shortbread, Dec 7, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2015
  3. Globalisateur

Globalisateur Globby
    Veteran Regular Subscriber

Avoid at all cost PAL versions of PS2 games emulated on PS4. Digital foundry tested the US version of San Andreas and discovered the game runs without frame-pacing issue at a very solid and smooth 30fps when the PAL game runs with constant judder.

Apparently all PAL PS2 games (those that probably were running at 50hz on PS2) run emulated on PS4 at 50hz and then are interpolated to 60fps causing frame-pacing issue and a constant judder.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2015-grand-theft-auto-san-andreas-face-off

If you want to buy US PSN games while living in Europe, it's really, really easy (I did it to buy US only themes recently): http://www.nowgamer.com/ps4-how-to-buy-us-digital-psn-games/

Seriously how dare they charge us 15€ for those wrecked games?

#2343 Globalisateur, Dec 8, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2015
    BRiT likes this.
  4. London-boy

London-boy Shifty's daddy
    Legend Subscriber

And that old 50/60Hz goblin rearing its ugly head again, after all these years of peace.

milk, bunge and DSoup like this.
  5. Shifty Geezer

Shifty Geezer uber-Troll!
    Moderator Legend

But for non English speakers wanting native language, they need PAL version. Can you force PS4 to PAL output?

6. DSoup

DSoup meh
    Legend Veteran Subscriber

Nope, you can select resolution and colour depth but not display frequency.

7. hesido

Regular

Sony surely can provide a native 50hz output.

They won't, though.

8. London-boy

Legend Subscriber

I think there were problems with 50Hz DVD playback at launch but I'm not sure they're still there.

9. Globalisateur

Globalisateur Globby
    Veteran Regular Subscriber

This is bugging me. Shouldn't it be 4x MSAA?

10. rekator

Regular

Or give the 60Hz version to EU, all HDTV can output 60Hz.

11. London-boy

Legend Subscriber

12. Shifty Geezer

Moderator Legend

What about European languages?

13. Clukos

Clukos Bloodborne 2 when?
    Veteran Newcomer

Edit: Looks like they removed a bunch of shadows from Ps4/PC version to achieve that "boost"

[​IMG]

Image from gaf

#2353 Clukos, Dec 9, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2015
  14. DrJay24

Veteran

One screenshot is not evidence of some global downgrade. It's clear from DF video that shadows are preset and the graphics look to be the same everywhere but that one room. Smells like a bug. They obviously did some optimization since the outdoor part in the video, which looks identical, performs much better as well.

15. DSoup

DSoup meh

Digital Foundry: Fallout 4 patch 1.02 boosts PS4 performance
    Bethesda brings us closer to 30fps - but is it stable?

As things stand, the improvement is clearly tangible, even if the frame-rate still isn't 100 per cent ideal. A flat reading at around 20fps creeps in once we trigger explosives in the sewers, while the high-rises of the factory plant still take a toll on PS4's frame-rate.

Fire and explosions are by far the most prevalent reasons for the frame rate nose dives on PS4. No matter what you are doing, if you add an explosion and sometimes just a little fire, the frame rate will drop. This is only observational evidence but I'm glad I'm not playing a heavily explosive focused build!

16. Allandor

Regular Newcomer

At least all european HDTVs are 50Hz capable, else they couldn't display the current non-hd TV program. So sony should at least be able to output 50Hz if it is a PAL game. On the other side, I would want the NTSC-Versions of a game, because PAL versions often just run slower to get to 50 Hz (25fps). Xbox one can output something @50Hz, so why shouldn't PS4 do the same thing?

17. tuna

Veteran

Most European hd programming is 50hz.

18. DSoup

DSoup meh

I don't disagree but have an interest and woulkd like to know the source for this. My experience is that there is an awful lot of 25Hz 1080p programming but very little 50Hz 1080i prorgramming these days.

19. Shortbread

Shortbread Island Hopper
    Veteran

I'm starting to wonder how the Havok Physics engine is implemented across certain game engines. Are some developers relying strictly on the CPU to run physics duties (ragdolls, collision detection, clothes simulation, debris/particles, etc...)... or strictly GPU computing... or a combination of both. It seems lately, games that use the Havok engine (Fallout 4, Just Cause 3, etc...) are having certain amount of performance issues on PS4/XB1.

I think/believe Sucker Punch used a lot more of the GPU side when it came to using the Havok engine in Infamous Second Son... such as particles/debris/collision and possibly some other physics related task. And from what I remember playing, explosions/debris and so-on, didn't effect the framerate at all (or enough to warrant it as an issue of cause).

#2359 Shortbread, Dec 10, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2015
    Goodtwin likes this.
  20. Shifty Geezer

Moderator Legend

I presume Tuna means 50 Hz display rate material. Whether recorded at 25 fps or 50, the TVs tune to 50 Hz and could support 50 Hz game output if provided. Or putting it another way, there's very little 30/60 Hz content in Europe warranting a 60 Hz TV, and it's only computer use that benefits (which then displays PAL content in judder-o-vision).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.