Digital Foundry Article Technical Discussion Archive [2015]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xenoblade Chronicles X looks like a perfect example of a game that is developed with a clear understanding of the compromises that need to be made to hit the target performance. The developer did an excellent job of managing its resources and coming up with a product that not only offers the largest open world game on any console, but also has great art direction that helps mask the hardware's limitations.

The game looks good... especially running on the Wii U. However, the major LOD and pop-in issues are enough for me to stay away from this game. It breaks up the immersion (especially in the city) way too much for me. But still, a technical masterpiece for the Wii U.

Last edited:
I was just going by Avalanche's engine vid for Just Cause 3 where they said they were an early adopter. Could be wrong then.

That said, Uncharted 3 and the Last of Us definitely didn't do physics simulation during gameplay at anywhere near that level, and BF3 and Hardline only did to a limited extent. This could be the first real test of the middleware's performance.

It could be a new version. At the very least they're using it more extensively, like you said.

Difference in resolution, Ps4 now supports equivalent AF with X1 (which wasn't the case in the beta), temporal filtering and TAA employed on consoles. End result, both consoles look great and perform similarly. Seems really polished as well.

I hate to use game comparisons, but I enjoy CS:GO more.

This game reminds me of rogue spear, which granted it should. Destructible terrain doesn't do it for me. It's cool though. Haven't played enough of it to really make a difference for me however.

So they added AF to the PS4 version and performance is the same if not better than the beta. :runaway:

It seems like good AF as well, x8 for both platforms? This port is impressive, very good IQ and performance across the board!

Looks like they fixed some issues from the beta. The big thing for me, rather than fixing performance issues, would be fixing kit balance issues. The shield kits were just too powerful.

Difference in resolution, Ps4 now supports equivalent AF with X1 (which wasn't the case in the beta), temporal filtering and TAA employed on consoles. End result, both consoles look great and perform similarly. Seems really polished as well.

Did a quick google search and didn't find anything related to graphics when I searched temporal filtering. What's that do?

I think temporal filtering has to do with what sebbi said about the MSAA trick they were experimenting with. You can read more here. I might be wrong though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back