Digital Foundry Article Technical Discussion [2023]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jedi Survivor displays a lot of polygons. Assets like rocks, probs and the ground do look highly detailed but I am not a fan of the lighting, nor color sheme and art style.

Last edited:
Been playing this on xbox. It looks great (albiet at a very low resolution), a lot of the screenshots I saw posted around places like here were weird unflattering flatly lit areas -- there's tons of geo, lots of dynamic lights, virtually no texture pop in, lots of characters. I am a little puzzled by the perf. Clearly the game came in super hot, I've hit multiple bugs I think any dev team would consider high priority -- a large enemy vanished while I was fighting it, and at one point the game got locked into some kind of a slow path and ran at ~30fps for the next 15 minutes until I restarted the game. Wonder if we'll actually see some large-ish perf gains in patches, this has the feeling of a game where core systems aren't quite bug free, and features aren't quite shipped.

DF video is up.

Lol that opening.

I don't hold out much hope this has any material effect on publishers/studios pushing this stuff out going forward, but there should be a very stark lesson in the type of coverage you get from an outlet like DF when you put the work in to produce a technically competent product. The difference in two back-to-back videos on DF's page couldn't be more stark.

One one hand, you have Burning Shores, and while I have my issues with the game/franchise, there is no denying the care that was put into it on a technical level. As such, you get a 12 minute video that focuses on its achievements, what studio wouldn't want their game to be exalted this way?

Then...you get this. No settings comparisons, no talk about the technical underpinnings of the engine, no talk about the lighting or artistic choices, because there's no point. It's fundamentally broken, and that's all the coverage you're rightfully getting. "This game is crap. Welp, hit like and subscribe". Was it really worth not delaying for 2 more months? Really?

Last edited:
Seems like 2 months may be not even enough. It's a well known engine and a sequel. I'm sure management is to blame, but the devs themselves too. At this level, the game doesn't need a clean up, it's more than that, the code must be very ugly to render this, like that, on all supports... Skilled devs are needed...

One big difference between this release and burning shores.

I don't think gamers are going to care either way, or that the PC has millions of configurations that EA has to contend with (versus a single platform configuration like a gaming console). At the end of the day, gamers want a working product regardless of the complexity of the platform (i.e., PC) that it's being developed on. IMHO, it's fair game to compare how one platform fairs over the other, regardless of the complexities facing PC gaming. EA should have simply released this title at a later date in a better state.

I'm so glad that publishers are finally getting some heat for this stuff. It's been going on long enough and PC gaming is getting a terrible rap nowadays... everyone is bringing attention to it now. Which is great to see. If a person loves PC gaming and isn't speaking out about this stuff, then I'd question whether they really truly do.. It's far past time to admit there's a problem, and the sooner it's accepted, the sooner we can get working on improving it. If the developers need more time, then maybe a mob of pissed off PC gamers not buying their game can convince the publishers to give it to them... maybe if part of the problem is tools, then perhaps they will improve more rapidly to make their lives easier.. ect. ect.

It's not about harassing developers for doing a bad job... we know and understand it's supremely complex and difficult, but these are products people are paying for, so they must at the very least of a certain quality level.. and what constitutes as acceptable has sunk pretty damn low for some of these companies lately.. and it's time to step it up.

I'm also glad Alex speaks up against people who try to defiantly state that it works "smoothly for them".. when we all know that's BS!

If I was a publisher who had an upcoming game releasing any time soon, I'd be going over everything with the teams and making sure things are properly polished up before releasing it... there's no more excuses, as this issue has had a spotlight on it for a while now. No more apology letters/tweets.

I'm also glad Alex speaks up against people who try to defiantly state that it works "smoothly for them".. when we all know that's BS!

A recent poster in a ResetEra thread said it 'ran smooth' on their 3090, and when asked how they could possibly say that in light of the data, replied that they can't see the difference between 30 and 60fps anyways. So welp.

Then...you get this. No settings comparisons, no talk about the technical underpinnings of the engine, no talk about the lighting or artistic choices, because there's no point. It's fundamentally broken, and that's all the coverage you're rightfully getting. "This game is crap. Welp, hit like and subscribe". Was it really worth not delaying for 2 more months? Really?

I’m not sure this is the right long term strategy for DF or its subscribers. While it’s supremely important that the community continues to speak out against these shitshow releases that only works if people are listening. And I think people would listen more if DF continues to produce the insightful technical content that its reputation is built on. It would have been nice to learn something about the graphics tech in survivor in addition to the spotlight on the shoddy quality.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back