Digital Foundry Article Technical Discussion [2023]

Status
Not open for further replies.
New guy!

- Another shitty FSR2 implementation. I'm sure there will be a DLSS mod soon enough, but fuck off with that exclusivity shit.
- Gotta tame that mic echo. :)
This guy gets right to the point haha, I like him!

Good to see another person join the team to help Alex out a bit.

This guy gets right to the point haha, I like him!

Good to see another person join the team to help Alex out a bit.
This video is honestly lackluster. Crank everything to Ultra and drop Shadows and Effects to Medium? What's the visual impact? Are there other things you can fine-tune to get back performance at a minimal visual cost?

Seems like he was in a rush to get this out as quickly as possible. It's his first video so I'll cut him some slack but this was not good.

This video is honestly lackluster. Crank everything to Ultra and drop Shadows and Effects to Medium? What's the visual impact? Are there other things you can fine-tune to get back performance at a minimal visual cost?

Seems like he was in a rush to get this out as quickly as possible. It's his first video so I'll cut him some slack but this was not good.

While I generally think these videos should be within the 10 minute range so I'm actually glad to see one just under that, yeah that's basic stuff you should show if you're recommending they be turned down for performance - what exactly is the impact in various scenes visually? Also no mention of the other settings and how they compare to the PS5.

Totally fair viewpoint. I'd typically agree with you here, but I get the feeling that, at least starting out, he's probably just going to handle quick looks into PC ports on a more surface level. Alex is always going to be there to handle the deep dives into the more technical aspects.

I'm sure over time Don will go deeper and deeper into the specifics, but I think the idea currently might be to just get more PC focused content out there and be able to at least cover more games, while Alex likely shifts focus a bit to more tech focus type stuff. I'd personally love to see more interviews with developers. Digital Foundry talks a lot about issues PC games have, and I think it'd be great to get interviews with devs on the show and speak to some of the issues, and just in general about development. Would be more interesting to me as a viewer, and probably more fulfilling for Alex as well.

I'm sure over time Don will go deeper and deeper into the specifics, but I think the idea currently might be to just get more PC focused content out there and be able to at least cover more games, while Alex likely shifts focus a bit to more tech focus type stuff. I'd personally love to see more interviews with developers. Digital Foundry talks a lot about issues PC games have, and I think it'd be great to get interviews with devs on the show and speak to some of the issues, and just in general about development. Would be more interesting to me as a viewer, and probably more fulfilling for Alex as well.

That would be awesome.

New guy!

- Another shitty FSR2 implementation. I'm sure there will be a DLSS mod soon enough, but fuck off with that exclusivity shit.
- Gotta tame that mic echo. :)

Nice first video. I like Don’s energy and the focus on the things that matter though the pacing did seem a tad rushed. The cube map reflections are amusing but not all that bad. Those SSR artifacts are vomit inducing though. Wtf.

I thought it was okay but wasn't a fan of the PS5 performance comparison given he didn't match resolution or scene, and was ambiguous about the settings match.

I want that comparison, I just want it to be accurate. Otherwise best to leave it out altogether.

It seems his focus to get to 60fps with this specific config got in the way of what optimized settings are when Alex do it which is more to get the best performance at the minimal IQ cost.
Alex "way" can help more people with different configs.

Alex goes above and beyond. Maybe this guy just felt that getting to 60fps would be enough for people for this game since it's pretty well optimized game on PC to begin with

Alex goes above and beyond. Maybe this guy just felt that getting to 60fps would be enough for people for this game since it's pretty well optimized game on PC to begin with
People following DF videos and whatnot typically want a more in-depth look into things, so I can understand the complaints. That said, I agree with you that a quick 'these two settings are the major ones you want to reduce to gain performance' is still all people really need to know from a practical sense and I still welcome that. I'm very much that type of PC gamer myself. Yes, seeing all the in-depth comparisons is interesting, but at the end of the day, all I really *need* to know is what few settings I should change.

I think there's also a bigger problem here, something I've thought about before, but I saw a recent post on ResetERA about it that makes me want to bring it up here - presets in games are rarely very well thought out. So often, there's all these settings that reduce quality with little to no performance drop, meaning if you turn the preset down to Medium or something, you're sacrificing quality in various aspects for no good reason. Any sensible PC gamer will use some sort of custom settings(unless you've just got overkill horsepower and can whack everything on Ultra/max).

And I'm aware that lower end hardware can sometimes see bigger losses for certain settings than higher end hardware, but from what I've seen, this is generally pretty rare for the sort of settings I'm talking about. Maybe it was true back in the day when there were bigger feature differences between GPU's, but nowadays they're mostly on the same page here in how they handle things, even going back several generations.

People following DF videos and whatnot typically want a more in-depth look into things, so I can understand the complaints. That said, I agree with you that a quick 'these two settings are the major ones you want to reduce to gain performance' is still all people really need to know from a practical sense and I still welcome that. I'm very much that type of PC gamer myself. Yes, seeing all the in-depth comparisons is interesting, but at the end of the day, all I really *need* to know is what few settings I should change.

I think there's also a bigger problem here, something I've thought about before, but I saw a recent post on ResetERA about it that makes me want to bring it up here - presets in games are rarely very well thought out. So often, there's all these settings that reduce quality with little to no performance drop, meaning if you turn the preset down to Medium or something, you're sacrificing quality in various aspects for no good reason. Any sensible PC gamer will use some sort of custom settings(unless you've just got overkill horsepower and can whack everything on Ultra/max).

And I'm aware that lower end hardware can sometimes see bigger losses for certain settings than higher end hardware, but from what I've seen, this is generally pretty rare for the sort of settings I'm talking about. Maybe it was true back in the day when there were bigger feature differences between GPU's, but nowadays they're mostly on the same page here in how they handle things, even going back several generations.

I think Alex brought this up before. Anisotropic filtering still being a setting that gets changed with High/Medium/Low presets is ridiculous.

The clouds are very impressive, but frankly until this video I really wouldn't have even picked up on the significant changes simply because there's no mission that actually requires you to take advantage of them. I just had no reason to fly up that high, if there was a gameplay element that forced you to interact with them (such as some kind of chase mission or a way to use them to bypass threats that you can't otherwise avoid) they would have been more noticeable.

The unpatched/patched performance mode comparisons for FW are really striking, god what a huge improvement, almost forgot how bad it was at launch. One aspect that still leaves something to be desired though is how the checkerboarding solution deals with the alpha transparencies, most noticeably with the dilapidated neon displays strewn about the island. This was a problem in the base game as well (even patched) but it was largely restricted to the Las Vegas area, but here they're far more numerous in some missions. I would see one and just think it's supposed to look illegible, but then switch to resolution mode and suddenly all those details popped in. Another case of reconstruction falling down when interacting with low-res post process effects I guess.

In general due to the often bright sunny days here as well that expose longer draw distances where checkerboarding can fail a bit with fine details, I find there's a starker difference in performance mode vs. resolution than the base game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back