Digital Foundry Article Technical Discussion [2023]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Given performance we've seen of RT on the current cards, can we reconcile what they showed with what the hardware is capable of? Or was the trailer a "Killzone 2" event?

Even though I found the RTX Racer demo very good and would like to play it myself, the importance for me as a gamer has decreased after titles like Cyberpunk 2077 and Alan Wake 2 received well made pathtracing support.

Even though I found the RTX Racer demo very good and would like to play it myself, the importance for me as a gamer has decreased after titles like Cyberpunk 2077 and Alan Wake 2 received well made pathtracing support.
What is the likelihood they include pathtracing support in the RTX Racer demo?

Why shouldn't it. Even the older marble demo ran with pathtracing.

The 3D smoke/dust effects could be exciting in RTX Racer. I hope that we will get more volumetric smoke effects in games after pathtracing. At the moment the amount of games with 3D smoke is limited. Recently we got Counterstrike 2 with 3D smoke.

Last edited:
What is the likelihood they include pathtracing support in the RTX Racer demo?
It is Pathtracing. The Omniverse engine is a pathtracer based on nVidia's work.

In the end the performance level will be very similiar between applications and games. And Pathtracing in the end is just brute force.

Why shouldn't it. Even the older marble demo ran with pathtracing.

The 3D smoke/dust effects could be exciting in RTX Racer. I hope that we will get more volumetric smoke effects in games after pathtracing. At the moment the amount of games with 3D smoke is limited. Recently we got Counterstrike 2 with 3D smoke.
I havn't looked at it but the smoke is even interactive right? It dissipates when bullets are shot through it and grenades explode in it etc right?

For Microsoft and Sony, yes. Nintendo obvious went ARM/Nvidia.
That's still all nVidia, though, isn't it? The Tegra might license ARM technology, but AMD licenses X86 from intel as well. Tegra is an nVidia product, just like the APUs in PS5 and Series are MAD products.

I'm also not the biggest fan of the visuals of this 3D smoke implementation but at least there is one more game with it. The dust from RTX Racer already looks much better. Like in a pre-rendered CGI video.

Last edited:
That's kinda cheesy. Cubes of smoke sprites from the looks of it. Certainly not fluid dynamic volumetrics, which are taking an age to find their way into games!
I'm also not the biggest fan of this 3D smoke implementation but at least there is one more game with it. The dust from RTX Racer already looks much better.
Yeh agree it could be better, but it's pretty nucking futs that csgo is doing something AAA games are still neglecting and they have to make it work on toasters. One day we will get bfbc7 and when the smoke jockeys are launching smoke grenades at the mcom a friendly blackhawk/littlebird can swoop down and use it's rotor wash to blow it all away so the team can deal with them quicker ;)

On a related note, is any other game doing anything similar to what valve are doing here with the new network system?

Tried Counter-Strike 2 the other day and I just couldn't help but think @Dictator would give it a 10/10 just from the visual settings menu alone :p

I wish EVERY game would do it like that!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back