Digital Foundry Article Technical Discussion [2023]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hmmm I tend to after with your first point about Japan, but slightly disagree with your second point about the ease of it being the reason why PC releases have more trouble. It makes sense that some things on PC are harder to do due to the amount of configurations, yes, but also you have PC versions just missing the boat completely with absolutely basic things... like working mouse on the UI (Jedi Survivor) or hilariously obvious shader comp stutter which shows a blatant disregard for quality (Jedi Survivor, Callisto Protocol at launch, Sackboy at launch, etc). No human being should have looked at Sackboy, Jedi Survivor or Callisto at launch running on a PC and Said "yeah that is the bar of quality that should be released". I personally think no publisher would release such a high Profile game on a console with such issues.

When PC as a platform gets high profile releases failing to cover very very very basic user experience things only on PC, I think it points to the fact that devs or publishers or combination of the two are not giving PC its fair share of time and money investment.

Developers have conditioned and treated the PC market as an open beta of sorts. Release stuff with basic things missing or not working, let the community build a bug list for you and run with it.

Back on topic and no, I just cannot play with ray reconstruction. The ghosting is too horrible. The biggest problem is really the npc faces becoming a blur while not even that far from the camera. I really cannot play with this.

Back on topic and no, I just cannot play with ray reconstruction. The ghosting is too horrible. The biggest problem is really the npc faces becoming a blur while not even that far from the camera. I really cannot play with this.

It’s worse than the previous denoiser?

I'm not seeing this at all. Also one of the selling points according to the Digital Foundry interview on the tech was it's ability to improve NPC faces so I can't see this being a normal thing. Are you using the latest driver?

Ghosting around NPC's in environments with lots of dynamic lights is severe, but switching RR off, it appears to still be present with the previous denoiser, just not as obvious because the lighting isn't updating as often.

PC gamers should be grateful that console exclusivity has been the exception rather than the rule
What a complete elitist thing to say, if some developer thinks like that then he deserves to be denied PC gamers money. He should stick to his console and let another publisher release his game on PC and make the profit.

they would have far more titles like Red Dead Redemption which are still stuck on consoles. So I assume you've made your peace with a fractured industry based on your last few statements then
Every PC gamer has made his peace long time ago, as I said, PC gamers simply just don't care, they didn't care being denied all of the PlayStation exclusives in the past, and they mostly didn't care when these games have been ported to PC, as evidenced by most of them not achieving the knock out hit status in sales.

No, the data also digital factors in digital sales. Why else were they able to register units for the PC platform if that were the case ?
From a single country, in a single month for a single game "Resident Evil 4" that is still in the process of selling. Comparatively Speaking, and looking at a global scale, Resident 2 Remake sold 1 million copies on PC in it's first two months, 1/3 of total console sales. That's a very respectable number.

If Microsoft's plan is to force Sony into a total reset (no BC/compatible tools) then that's not going to work out
It's could totally work out, instead of offering a carbon copy of PS5 hardware, with no meaningful quality differentiator, they could offer vastly more powerful ray tracing visuals, even path tracing as well, while also offering a vastly more capable upscaler with a vastly better frame generation. Microsoft has a solid collection of Studios now, they will be able to offer both the exclusive games and the technical prowess to back them up and differentiate themselves more from the PlayStation experience, instead of the stale mate status that we have now.
There's a reason why Nvidia hides their ISA from everyone else since they don't want developers specifically optimizing their code for any of their specific architectures.
Yeah, that reason is called progress, you iterate faster and invent new stuff more quickly, as opposed to offering the same feature set for a whole generation.

I'm not seeing this at all. Also one of the selling points according to the Digital Foundry interview on the tech was it's ability to improve NPC faces so I can't see this being a normal thing. Are you using the latest driver?
But it's the exact opposite and exactly what Alex reported in the video.

Screenshot 2023-09-24 122225.png

Look at how much ray reconstruction blurs the face. This is exactly what I'm experiencing and it's bad.
Ghosting around NPC's in environments with lots of dynamic lights is severe, but switching RR off, it appears to still be present with the previous denoiser, just not as obvious because the lighting isn't updating as often.
It is still present but with ray reconstruction, it's even worse.
It’s worse than the previous denoiser?
For blurring faces? 100% worse.

But it's the exact opposite and exactly what Alex reported in the video.

View attachment 9657

Look at how much ray reconstruction blurs the face. This is exactly what I'm experiencing and it's bad.

For blurring faces? 100% worse.

That must be a fairly rare occurrence though as I can't re-produce it on any NPC's while walking around the city. I've not played it properly though, just a few minutes of wandering and taking on the sites.

It is easy to see with NPCs in the background. Seems like DLSS upscaling and RR have problems to proper denoise this part. Playing native with DLAA and RR this ghosting is nearly non existent.

But on the other hand RR is really good in closer enviroments: https://imgsli.com/MjA4OTIy

Last edited:
It's not that i think PC is exploding, it's actually exploding and im just observing the numbers from the data we have. In the last 2.5 years, since Cyberpunk, we have 4 singleplayer games entering steam's top 10 most played games. Cyberpunk, Elden Ring, BG3 and Hogwarts. Your presence in this top 10 is almost assured you have 10 million copies sold straight from that small launch window. Ski's the limit after.

We know from the microsoft lawsuit that PC is the biggest traditional market, contrary to what i thought until now

We also look at how steam became this giant only in the last few years. Daily concurent numbers

• 2015- 8.4 million
  • 2017- 14 million
  • 2018- 18.5 million
  • 2020- 24.8 million
  • 2021- 27.4 million
  • 2022- 30 million
  • 2023- 33 million

Naturally, some publishers that have been fully console focused since forever like ubisoft or EA are not gonna have some amazing PC presence. But even in cases like that, where they dont even had their games on steam, like ubi, they have quarters where PC is matching playstation for number one, like they did a couple of years ago. These numbers would have seemed like the most absurd things ever 10 years ago. Sorry for offtopic, last post on this matter

Yes, but it's not due to growth in AAA sales, it's due to massive growth in indie game sales. Hence basically almost no changes for splits or even revenue for most AAA developers on average (some slightly up, some slightly down, some basically flat) despite Steam getting more users.

Concurrent users also generally tracks with multiplayer games, IE - the most played games are why people are actually logged into steam usually. And then you will briefly have single player games pop up from time to time if there's a new content patch or a new release. That bears out when you look at the most played games on Steam.

So, CS-GO, DOTA 2, PUBG, APEX Legends, GTA V (online multiplayer), RUST, Warthunder, etc are almost always in the top 10 as they currently are. Then the new hotness of Starfield, CP2077 (new DLC) and BG3. Those last 3 will drop out in the next few weeks or months and other AAA games may or may not take their place.

Then if you look at trending games, IE what's getting people to play more, it's generally indie/AA games and multiplayer games with a AAA game occasionally showing up.

Regards,
SB

DayDream Gaming made this incredible video of the various regions of Night City in Cyberpunk 2077 in RT Overdrive. Just beautiful.. the ambient audio just make it feels so alive!

The original PT stuff was pretty impressive but had a fair bit of noise and ghosting, so I was hoping ray reconstruction helped with that stuff. I gave it a quick shot today and my experience was honestly pretty mixed. It definitely helps sharpness in reflections and shadows, but that wasn't really my primary complaint before.

In terms of noise, I think it's slightly better than before, especially in specular reflections.

In terms of ghosting though, it's a very mixed bad. Before dynamic objects would make the background blurry. This was particularly noticeable when you opened doors and the like or when a character walked across an area that is primarily indirect lit. You'd effectively have them smear the background behind them into a blur that would resolve over the next half second or so.

Some of these cases are slightly improved now in terms of how far away from the dynamic object the smearing happens, but on the downside the length of the temporal integration/ghosting artifacts is *significantly* longer. The ML model seems to be leaning far too heavily on re-using these samples as long as they are somewhat "close" to pixels that have non-zero motion vectors. Instead of rejecting these history samples, it is keeping them whereas the previous denoiser seemed to be tuned a bit more to reject these samples with disparate depths/spatial locations and then have to reconstruct a blurry result from spatial samples.

The main issue is that the old denoiser artifacts were somewhat proportional to the amount of perceived motion in the frame. i.e. if an NPC was walking close to you across the screen or a door opened across most of the frame, it'd get very blurry for a second, but if the scene had relatively slow movement the ghosting wouldn't be too bad. This also has the benefit that the higher your sample count/frame rate the less issues you have as everything is effectively moving "slower" relative to the sampling. With the new ray reconstruction stuff even at 100fps (real frames, not frame gen) on a 4090 you get significant artifacts even with very little movement. For instance, this is just NPC idle sway animation:
1695599632270.png
Unfortunately you don't really have to cherry-pick to find these cases.

I don't know how I feel about this overall TBH. There's some legit improvements for sure but unless they can resolve these issues without hurting the other improvements I don't know if I'd really consider this shippable quality. Hopefully this is just a case of something buggy with motion vectors or similar, but it doesn't seem to be unique to skeletal meshes; it happens even with camera panning which is one of the simplest motions.

Ideally this could also just be a case where they improve things significantly in a future update, like they did from DLSS 1.0 to 2.0. I like the simplicity of just dumping a bunch of data into an ML model and letting it sort things out, but it doesn't seem like we've gotten there yet. It remains to be seen if we just need some better tuning/training, more input data, or if ultimately doing this temporal denoising entirely in screen space might not be sufficient. Or maybe the RT sampling rate just needs to go up a fair bit and we're just trying to push this too far right now, even at 100fps with DLSS Quality (I even tried no upscaling and the artifacts were the same).

Anyways as usual very interesting tech and I appreciate them putting it out for us to play around with, and Alex and DF giving us some good analysis. Just feels like we still have some ways to go before this is usable in scenes with even moderate amounts of motion.

I'm going to be honest with you guys, I've played a good 4 hours or so with this Overdrive update, and I never noticed ghosting like I'm seeing in those pics, or like in the video Flappy Pannus pointed out.

I'm going to have another look, because I would definitely notice that issue.

I'm going to be honest with you guys, I've played a good 4 hours or so with this Overdrive update, and I never noticed ghosting like I'm seeing in those pics, or like in the video Flappy Pannus pointed out.
🤷‍♂️ hopefully it's some bug/local issue, but it looks the same as what's in Alex's video. Look specifically in places where motion is overlapping *indirect* lighting. It's not going to be nearly as bad in places where there's primarily direct lighting contribution of course, since much less reconstruction/filtering is needed in those locations in the first place.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back