Digital Foundry Article Technical Discussion [2022]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hope they will improve pop in problem with a new solution for geometry something with primitive or compute shader, improve shadows solutions and improve the GI solution maybe a realtime solution next time.

APU's? Perhaps not. Things like RDNA2, Zen2, GDDR6, PCIE4 nvme and even software (DX/vulkan for xbox) are pc standards, there's nothing really exotic, not all that much custom either. The mentioned arch's/components got some customizations. Its nothing like the PS2 and PS3 days anymore (or X360). And for the better.
I either dont think these RTX IO solutions are from consoles, but PC version equalivants, that fit better in the pc space.

DirectStorage is coming to PC - DirectX Developer Blog (microsoft.com)

Earlier this year, Microsoft showed the world how the Xbox Series X, with its portfolio of technology innovations, will introduce a new era of no-compromise gameplay. Alongside the actual console announcements, we unveiled the Xbox Velocity Architecture, a key part of how the Xbox Series X will deliver next generation gaming experiences.

We’re excited to bring DirectStorage, an API in the DirectX family originally designed for the Velocity Architecture to Windows PCs!

Why does that matter? Because RTX io plugs directly into DirectStorage, which is needed for functionality.

Attachments

• icon_wink.gif
    icon_wink.gif
    170 bytes · Views: 6
  • icon_wink.gif
    icon_wink.gif
    170 bytes · Views: 6
Back in those days we didn't need indy games for new ideas. Mid and high end developers gave it to us. Now if you want something that isn't yet another mundane, open world snooze fest you have to go to pixel art or other very dated looking indy games. There are a small handful of studios that still make quality games at a higher level but they are few and far between these days. Even multiplayer games have been homogenized down to primarily battle royale titles. It's crazy how this open world trend has consumed and almost completely ruined multiple genres.
Things like battle royal, open world games*, and narrative based 3d adventure games (the walking sims and the like) were trends born from the indie developers. It's the larger companies that followed those trends to saturate the market, just as much as indie clones do. Some of the best looking games yet to be released are indie games. That Wukong game and Bright Memory Infinite come to mind, and that's sort of the point I was making. The standardization of hardware and middleware has allowed these relatively small teams with relatively few resources (when compared to the Ubisoft's and EAs of the industry) to create games with high production values beyond what was available previously. You used to be able to take one look at an indie game and know that it was one. Now.... Not so much.

Also, we always needed indie devs. They always brought fresh ideas to the table, and while they weren't always great, they tend to be ahead of the curve when it comes to innovation.

*(By this I mean the modern trend of open world games with resource management, crafting, survival elements and the collecting mechanics that are popular today. I know Sega invented the open world game.)

Good video.

Also, ouch, the "Resolution" 30 FPS mode is SOOOOO Blurry with a large lack of detail compared to the "Performance" 60 FPS mode while the camera is in motion. I'd forgotten just how badly 30 FPS absolutely destroys details in games if you move the camera even a little bit.

Once the camera starts to move, the Resolution mode actually looks much lower resolution than the Performance mode.

It's only when the camera doesn't move (basically when you aren't playing the game) where resolution mode actually looks more detailed with higher resolution. But once the camera moves. Performance mode looks higher resolution with far more detail.

Great looking game. Does justice to another famous "cross-gen" game, the original Crysis. :p

Also, the lasting vegetation deformation when your character or animals walk over the grass is neat, but wow is it hugely unrealistic. If that happened out at the family ranch, we'd have no grass for the animals to feed on. :p It'd all be flat. :p Even dead grass doesn't stay down after you walk over it. It takes a lot of time (or a lot of animals) before something like that starts to happen.

Regards,
SB

Last edited:
Good video.

Also, ouch, the "Resolution" 30 FPS mode is SOOOOO Blurry with a large lack of detail compared to the "Performance" 60 FPS mode while the camera is in motion. I'd forgotten just how badly 30 FPS absolutely destroys details in games if you move the camera even a little bit.

Once the camera starts to move, the Resolution mode actually looks much lower resolution than the Performance mode.

It's only when the camera doesn't move (basically when you aren't playing the game) where resolution mode actually looks more detailed with higher resolution. But once the camera moves. Performance mode looks higher resolution with far more detail.
I was thinking about motion resolution (ah, ye olde plasma vs. LCD debate) when watching John’s DF tech review. It must look better before YT’s compression for John to prefer 30fps over 60fps, or maybe, like Forza Horizon 5, the 30fps mode has added detail (pushed out LODs) and better motion blur? Maybe I should read his article*, though even SkillUp said the performance mode is noticeably lower res and has some DLSS-like artifacts on some foliage (he also said to wait for DF’s analysis :)).

I’d love for a future DF vid (maybe even the Weekly) to explain how HFW can do 4k30 or 1800c60 (with DRS, but I believe John said it’s mostly 1800c?) but Guardians drops from 4k30 to 1080p60. Renderer? Engine? Multi-platform complexity?

* Article quotes:

“Horizon Forbidden West on PS5 is remarkably dense to an extent where YouTube video compression actually sells the game short.”

“similar to Forza Horizon 5, the choice between gaming at 30fps and 60fps may not be as straightforward as it sounds. While 60fps may seem like the obvious choice bearing in mind the 2160p vs 1800p checkerboard difference, it's actually the case that the graphical quality is far richer in the 30fps mode as a result of this clarity.”

I was thinking about motion resolution (ah, ye olde plasma vs. LCD debate) when watching John’s DF tech review. It must look better before YT’s compression for John to prefer 30fps over 60fps, or maybe, like Forza Horizon 5, the 30fps mode has added detail (pushed out LODs) and better motion blur? Maybe I should read his article*, though even SkillUp said the performance mode is noticeably lower res and has some DLSS-like artifacts on some foliage (he also said to wait for DF’s analysis :)).

I’d love for a future DF vid (maybe even the Weekly) to explain how HFW can do 4k30 or 1800c60 (with DRS, but I believe John said it’s mostly 1800c?) but Guardians drops from 4k30 to 1080p60. Renderer? Engine? Multi-platform complexity?

* Article quotes:

“Horizon Forbidden West on PS5 is remarkably dense to an extent where YouTube video compression actually sells the game short.”

“similar to Forza Horizon 5, the choice between gaming at 30fps and 60fps may not be as straightforward as it sounds. While 60fps may seem like the obvious choice bearing in mind the 2160p vs 1800p checkerboard difference, it's actually the case that the graphical quality is far richer in the 30fps mode as a result of this clarity.”

I was thinking about the effect YT would have. But generally the encoding systems that YT and other sites (like Twitch) usually have problems with high motion combined with high detail. As such the performance mode half of the side by side panning shots should suffer more with regard to loss of detail due to the encoding system that YT uses.

Now there might be more "things" being rendered in resolution mode, but the detail of everything just gets absolutely destroyed by the low framerate. It may be that it's far more noticable to me since I almost never game at 30 FPS anymore. The only platform I own where 30 FPS is even a thing is the NSW and I'll avoid any game that isn't 60 FPS on the system.

So, it may just be that I notice the loss of detail far more than others just because I'm not used to seeing games running at 30 FPS and thus I'm not accustomed to seeing so much loss of detail once a camera starts moving.

Regards,
SB

i always feel like i'm missing "graphics" with a 60fps mode, so that why i always choose 30fps :(
even with uncharted collection ! at least for the first playthrough.

i always feel like i'm missing "graphics" with a 60fps mode, so that why i always choose 30fps :(
even with uncharted collection ! at least for the first playthrough.
In miles I played 30, demon souls 60, valhalla 60, ratchet switched before 30-60 (I regret finishing it before 40 mode), diablo 2r 60fps, Lost Judgment 60fps, Guardians of the galaxy 30fps, fh5 30fps and horizon2 will choose 30fps, wonder if pro models come out will they just double performance of quality mode or they will still have modes to choose from

Last edited:
They push the artists work and rasterizing trick to the max on the GI lighting, reflection side. This will be very difficult to do better without raytracing. It remind a bit what ND did with TLOU2 with perfectly aligned cubemap.

There was a sifu patch today. I took a look at the small stutters are still there.

Small update for #SifuGame:
Design:
• Polish and Debug. Small tweaks on the second level
• Bug fixes for second (Sean) and third (Kuroki) bosses

Code:
• Global optimizations
• Crash fixes.

Art & Lighting:
• Performance improvements in all levels
• Polish and debug

In the week where a favoured few posted their Steam Deck hardware reviews, and where Nintendo posted a new Direct, it's down to John, Rich and Alex to sift through the revelations and present their views and opinions... of which there are many.

00:00:00 Introductions
00:00:41 Steam Deck review reaction
00:01:09 DF Bonus Q1: Did you receive a Steam Deck and what are your initial anecdotal impressions?
00:11:09 DF Bonus Q2: Do you think display cost is the (only) reason for the Steam Deck not having VRR and do you believe there's a chance we will get a revision with VRR anytime soon?
00:15:02 DF Bonus Q3: What do you think about Steam Deck having a system level FSR, so that the games don't actually have to support it?
00:23:04 DF Bonus Q4: Do you think the Steam deck as a platform would benefit more from frequent (yearly) iterations?
00:25:44 Nintendo Direct 2.9.2022
00:36:46 Call of Duty will stay on PS "beyond the existing agreement"
00:39:51 Google Stadia shifts focus to Google Stream
00:46:18 Crysis Remastered gets last patch
00:53:53 DF Supporter Q1: Alex, are you excited for Total War Warhammer 3?
00:55:46 DF Supporter Q2: Will a fast quad core like an Alder Lake i3 last for the rest of the generation since it out performs a similar 8 core to what is in the new consoles?
01:00:58 DF Supporter Q3: Are there any types of GPU cards that made a particularly strong impression on you?
01:09:23 DF Supporter Q4: Why don't the new consoles use 16x anisotropic filtering?
01:11:02 DF Supporter Q5: Do you think next-gen came too soon?
01:18:03 DF Supporter Q6: Do you think we will see Pro consoles again this generation?
01:23:25 DF Supporter Q7: Do any of you typically go in for collectors editions of games?

Without quoting John but a PS3 with a G80 chip would have changed that entire generation. Developers might have been able to get by with simply optimizing to the GPU alone and may have made game development a great deal easier on everyone. There would still be the problem of the split ram pools but with Just a bit more work developers could have gotten around that instead of the huge amount of work that they needed to do to get the RSX, Cell and the split pools to work together. Of course first party studios would have done their best to get a G80,Cell and split pools to work together and probably had mind-blowing results for the time but everyone else could have tried their best to just see how far they could get relying on the G80 for all graphical work and trying their best to use the Cell as conventionally as possible. That is just my opinion.

Without quoting John but a PS3 with a G80 chip would have changed that entire generation. Developers might have been able to get by with simply optimizing to the GPU alone and may have made game development a great deal easier on everyone.
I don't think that would have fixed the vast amount of issues resulting from split memory pools.

Not - a DF Supporter but a Q. I would like them to address to in reviews and future discussions..

(Non) - DF Supporter Q8: Many modern console games are coming with a 60fps performance and 30fps graphics mode option.
I know that "Pro Versions" of each console is unlikely, But it would be interesting to know what sort of hardware is required to run current console games at 60fps,
but with the 30fps graphics settings? To me this is actually the purpose of any possible mid-gen upgrade. Not targeting 8K.

If DF configured a XSX like system, tested with a 6700XT ( is that the right proxy for an XSX? ), and then simple swapped out the 6700XT for a 6900XT, does that get us to quality, but @ 60fps?
Is it just a GPU limitation? or would they need cpu bumps too? Can ANY AMD gpu deliver the power required, or would it need to be an NV GPU?
Ideally I would like to this this concept / topic become a common one amongst their ongoing discussions.

Thanks for all the great work you do guys!

Not - a DF Supporter but a Q. I would like them to address to in reviews and future discussions..

(Non) - DF Supporter Q8: Many modern console games are coming with a 60fps performance and 30fps graphics mode option.
I know that "Pro Versions" of each console is unlikely, But it would be interesting to know what sort of hardware is required to run current console games at 60fps,
but with the 30fps graphics settings? To me this is actually the purpose of any possible mid-gen upgrade. Not targeting 8K.

If DF configured a XSX like system, tested with a 6700XT ( is that the right proxy for an XSX? ), and then simple swapped out the 6700XT for a 6900XT, does that get us to quality, but @ 60fps?
Is it just a GPU limitation? or would they need cpu bumps too? Can ANY AMD gpu deliver the power required, or would it need to be an NV GPU?
Ideally I would like to this this concept / topic become a common one amongst their ongoing discussions.

Thanks for all the great work you do guys!
A 6900XT gets you a bit over 50% more FPS than a 6700xt.

6700xt is a 13.2tf gpu, equipped with 96mb IC clocked at 2.6ghz (max clocks). Probably more capable, but very far from the 6900xt (23+ TF). The latter would be a nice upgrade perhaps, i’d see maybe a rx8700 in a possible refresh.

I dont think there will be any mid gen refresh though, like DF thinks the last time was due to 4k tv’s and 8k seems way too much of a performance hog, even for a 6900xt class gpu at console settings and reconstruction tech.

I think a mid-gen refresh makes a lot of sense now that we have games that have learned to scale across generations and games are released on PC etc.

I think should the chip shortages ever subside then I would imagine a PS5 Pro after three years can happen and would make sense. But if the chip shortages stay much longer it could be after 4 years., who knows.

There are a many factors that could drive this. But in general, 3-4 years is a long time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back