Digital Foundry Article Technical Discussion [2022]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Didn't Alex use down sampling in his video and it cleaned up the image?

It should still also help with the other aliasing problems the game has.
He did. And that's a viable option but doesn't answer the question. Does forcing MFAA at the driver level fix temporal stability on nVidia cards?

I think it's good when mistakes are addressed by such a prominent site as DF. Maybe companies will then take more care of graphical errors.

Oh of course, I think they are probably one of the stronger influencers to actually get these issues addressed. I shudder (stutter) to think of the non-movement we would have on the shader stuttering issue if DF hadn't shone a spotlight on it, lord knows other PC enthusiast sites didn't bother.

The low frame rate of the animations is not acceptable. Even 15 years ago I would have found something like that ridiculous.

As for the AA. For me, the game mostly flickers with bright metal shaders but I know other recent games that have much more problems here. Games like Death Stranding or Horizon Zero Dawn flickered much more without DLSS and hardly anyone said anything. I'm not happy with Battlefield 2042 either. I prefer more aggressive edge smoothing like RDR2's TAA. That looks cinematic. In contrast, the DLSS looked terrible in RDR2 with a lot of oversharpening. The DIvision 2 TAA and upscaling is also always a showcase product to me.

Oh I certainly complained about HZD, it had pretty bad aliasing at points, even native 4k was worse than the PS checkerboarded (what I heard the reason - think it was on this site - was that Guerilla also used an FXAA pass after checkerboarding that wasn't in the PC version). There were some oddities though, setting reflections to Medium instead of High actually affected the TAA, bizarrely enough. Thankfully they brought DLSS on board which improves things immensely (mostly - issues with dof+particle effects still). RDR2 also received a ton of flack, most thought it looked horrible with DLSS, albeit a big reason for that is that even in 'native' mode it was always doing a kind of reconstruction.

Regardless I think the TAA is actually the least of the issues in these patches. Bugged ssr reflections, broken hbao/motion blur in RE7, missing cubermaps, poor DX12 implementation - the TAA could be better, but overall it's an improvement, especially with interlaced mode. All of the other stuff is a regression, and the RT reflection resolution and zombie animations could be improved with very little resource expenditure.

I would like to see Capcom implement DLSS into their games. It saves resources and looks better than the TAA in many games. To compute native high image resolutions is a waste of resources.

So would I, I think it's an AMD promotional issue though. If that's the case I would hope for FSR 2.0 at least.

From Software uses their own code instead of Sony/Microsoft system calls to deliver frames to the screen.
I suppose this is why Microsoft said they needed special programming work from FromSoft when they brought Dark Souls III to the FPS Boost program.

From Software uses their own code instead of Sony/Microsoft system calls to deliver frames to the screen.
I suppose this is why Microsoft said they needed special programming work from FromSoft when they brought Dark Souls III to the FPS Boost program.
The patches add significant input lag...on average, the patched Bloodborne was 78ms slower to respond
I knew it ! In some game engines, notably From software games, there is indeed a relationship between frame-pacing and input lag. For years I have suspected that it was the case in those 30fps games with 60fps-ish input lag.

But why should it add that extra lag? Are those calls so slow that they need the time of at least 2 additional frames? This makes no sense then we would see a reduced frame rate at the start.
Does not really make sense.
Maybe the added lag comes from the hacked game as it is no longer running signed code and the code might run into a few exception handling branches that just need a bit longer in background.
Other question is why they never seem to have changed their formular to at least reduce the issue?

Last edited:
Oh of course, I think they are probably one of the stronger influencers to actually get these issues addressed. I shudder (stutter) to think of the non-movement we would have on the shader stuttering issue if DF hadn't shone a spotlight on it, lord knows other PC enthusiast sites didn't bother.

Oh I certainly complained about HZD, it had pretty bad aliasing at points, even native 4k was worse than the PS checkerboarded (what I heard the reason - think it was on this site - was that Guerilla also used an FXAA pass after checkerboarding that wasn't in the PC version). There were some oddities though, setting reflections to Medium instead of High actually affected the TAA, bizarrely enough. Thankfully they brought DLSS on board which improves things immensely (mostly - issues with dof+particle effects still). RDR2 also received a ton of flack, most thought it looked horrible with DLSS, albeit a big reason for that is that even in 'native' mode it was always doing a kind of reconstruction.

Regardless I think the TAA is actually the least of the issues in these patches. Bugged ssr reflections, broken hbao/motion blur in RE7, missing cubermaps, poor DX12 implementation - the TAA could be better, but overall it's an improvement, especially with interlaced mode. All of the other stuff is a regression, and the RT reflection resolution and zombie animations could be improved with very little resource expenditure.

So would I, I think it's an AMD promotional issue though. If that's the case I would hope for FSR 2.0 at least.

The TAA is okay in Resident Evil 2 and 3 but if it's really that bad in Resident Evil 8 I don't know if I should buy the game. In the last two weeks I've played through Resident Evil 3, 7 and 2 and I would like to play part 8 very much but an AA as bad as in the Digital Foundry video is unacceptable to me.

Since the Raytracing patch was launched I played all three Reisdent Evil remakes in a short timeframe and even though I find them all better with Raytracing the differences are the biggest with Resident EVil 3 from my point of view. Especially with the reflections. Part 2 seems more homogeneous with raytracing than without but reflections are not as visible as in part 3. The Red Engine is very similar between Resident Evil 2 and 3 but the environments of part 3 showcase raytracing much better overall.

Maybe and maybe not. In the credits the partnership with Nvidia is shown more often in all three games and Raytracing is also included.

Thanks to the help of DLSS the PC version of Horizon as well as Death Stranding is by far the best to me.

Last edited:
The TAA is okay in Resident Evil 2 and 3 but if it's really that bad in Resident Evil 8 I don't know if I should buy the game. In the last two weeks I've played through Resident Evil 3, 7 and 2 and I would like to play part 8 very much but an AA as bad as in the Digital Foundry video is unacceptable to me.

I only have experience from the short-lived demo on the PC version, the specular aliasing on some of the brass fixtures was definitely noticeable vs. the checkerboarded 4K on the PS5, but then again I was also playing in 1440p as I only had a 1660 at the time. If you have a rig enough for it to be native 4K, I'd say the PC version, even with those TAA defects, will likely still deliver the best image, but it certainly could be better. It certainly wasn't like you were running the game with SMAA or anything though.

Thanks to the help of DLSS the PC version of Horizon as well as Death Stranding is by far the best to me.

Death Stranding DLSS's is indeed very good most of the time - there are some issues though with water and some light sources that flicker significantly when panning the camera, but pretty minor overall relative to the overall stability of the image when roaming across the landscape. The poor frame pacing issue with gamepads (?) makes the PC version a no-go for me sadly though.

I've recently been playing Horizon on the PC though and this has been bugging me, so gonna rant a bit here - it's far more mixed with DLSS imo. It got rave reviews for its implementation out of the gate which is certainly understandable, as outside was where their weak TAA solution was most immediately evident with the grass shimmering, with DLSS it's indeed an amazing improvement and it's evident in the first 30 seconds after firing it up. The countryside* and Meridian are virtually flawless now, going back to just TAA or running it on the PS5 and it's night and day.

Unfortunately though, it doesn't hold up when you go to indoor locations. The problem is twofold: For one, motion blur can definitely mess up some textures, for whatever reason some surfaces really don't handle it well while others are perfectly stable, and these seem to occur largely on interiors. Still, an easy fix - just disable motion blur.

The bigger problem though seems to stem from anything interacting with steam/smoke, basically any kind of these effects which involve small particles/haze effectively 'breaks' DLSS where you get massive shimmering/aliasing when panning the scene and this effect is overlaid. For the most part you don't get this outdoors - fog by itself doesn't seem to exhibit this flaw and blends properly, but you can notice small examples of this when panning the scene and looking how it interacts with the smoke/heat distortion effect from a recently lit savepoint fire - the smoke blending with the foliage behind it causes anything it touches to seemingly render at a much lower resolution, so bad it looks like TAA is not even enabled entirely when you move the camera and the foliage sparkles and shimmers as it moves through the smoke. Still though, that's a small window for that effect to even be visible so not a huge deal.

Where this really becomes evident however is places like Cauldrons, which unfortunately have lots of steam constantly going. This causes tons of shimmering/aliasing on many surfaces in these structures during movement. The same for inside the mountain and other levels like Makers End - relative to the time you spend in the wilderness they're a minority, but they're still pretty significant chunks of the game. Checkerboarded 4K on the PS5, or even just using the 'simple' scaling setting actually produces a far more stable image in these locations, it's that bad. I don't know if Guerilla missed this when doing their DLSS implementation, my guess is that the blending effect is being based off of the internal res rather than the output, albeit even that doesn't fully explain it (1440p straight looks more stable). Sucks though as it's such a discrepancy with how it looks outdoors.

*Edit - Just got to the desert section. Blowing dust constantly - and it has the same effect, which basically means the vegetation is constantly fizzing and popping in this huge area. Gotta say HZD actually has one of the poorer DLSS implementations because of this, it has excellent clarity and motion resolution...with the exception of any interaction with a dust particle effect - which is everywhere in the game. Dumb.

Last edited:
Didn't nVidia used to offer some sort of TAA at the driver level? I wonder what forcing that on would do to image quality and performance. If it still works, as I've found there are settings that do nothing on newer APIs.
So my curiosity got the better of me. I downloaded the demo and played around with forcing MFAA and FXAA at the driver level with interlacing enabled... and they do something. But it's not always better. Maybe it's just the way the game handles post processing (I had all of the settings set to maximum including DOF but film grain off), but sometimes the image looked more aliased, and sometimes less. But nothing really cleaned up artifacts when in motion.

So my curiosity got the better of me. I downloaded the demo and played around with forcing MFAA and FXAA at the driver level with interlacing enabled... and they do something. But it's not always better. Maybe it's just the way the game handles post processing (I had all of the settings set to maximum including DOF but film grain off), but sometimes the image looked more aliased, and sometimes less. But nothing really cleaned up artifacts when in motion.
MFAA only worked in a handful of games where the driver flagged it as compatible IIRC. At the very least it requires the game have built in support for MSAA. The feature was seemingly quickly shelved not long after its release alongside Maxwell 2 in 2014.

Actually I just found this.

So virtually any DX10/11 game with built in MSAA support. I do wonder why they list only Maxwell GPUs as supporting it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back