Digital Foundry Article Technical Discussion [2021]

Discussion in 'Console Technology' started by BRiT, Jan 1, 2021.

1. Dampf

Newcomer

Hey Alex, were the RTX 2060 performance figures in your video with DLSS on or at native 1080p? I assume its native 1080p because it was not mentioned in the graph and a comparison to 2019 without DLSS 1 (as it was not great) and 2021 with DLSS would not be a fair performance comparison. The part before these performance figures showed DLSS turned on, that is why I am a bit confused.

2. snc

snc
    Veteran Newcomer

yeah for sure reconstructed but still heavy rt on consoles hw, we have to wait (I also don't like cb generally but Horizon was prasied by df as a good example of cb usage)

3. London Geezer

Legend Subscriber

I mean, I was happy to get the 2019 version on PS5, that looked impressive enough until I saw this one, which I assume will be the version they are porting over. Great little team, I just wish they'd devote their time to a new IP or new setting. Metro never really tickled my fancy as much as other settings/stories.

4. Rootax

Veteran Newcomer

I watched the vidéo yesterday. Today I didn't remember this specific point, my bad. Thx for the answer.

5. ThePissartist

Veteran Regular

I wonder if the number of RT bounces on the PC version are proportional to the setting used. i.e., Medium produces 2 light bounces/frame and Ultra has 4 bounces/frame?

Difficult to see other differences between the RT quality settings.

I suspect the consoles' versions will just spread the RT light bounces across more frames compared to the PC.

#1525 ThePissartist, Apr 29, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2021
    snc likes this.
  6. snc

snc
    Veteran Newcomer

good point that human eye doesn't adapt o bright light and dark light together but disagree tht left looks closer to reality, I've never seen almost dark room with open doors during sunny day

7. London Geezer

Legend Subscriber

Yeah I agree. The pic on the left doesn't look more realistic at all.

8. ThePissartist

Veteran Regular

Yeah, agreed. Just look around the room you're in for comparison. My office has a small window and yet the entire room is fully illuminated from bounce lighting.

SmartSelect_20210429-100730_Gallery.jpg

9. Arwin

Arwin Now Officially a Top 10 Poster
    Moderator Legend

The one on the right is really much more like people would see this in real life, though of course there will be scenes where the reflectiveness of the materials could still be incorrect, too reflective or sometimes not enough. This will be an area that will require more attention than previously. But I bought and installed slats type curtains the other day just because of how they work in reflecting light into the room and they show how important RT is in abundance, how the color of the reflected light changes depending on the angle of the sun on the wooden panels, the color of the panels on the white ceiling, the light that is reflected even up into the staircase in the hall, the abundance of light in the living-room and kitchen coming from the window, and the change of color of light from the sun depending on how much cloud is blocking it or not, and the constant changing that can happen as a result. It’s fantastic that this is coming into games now.

iroboto, PSman1700 and pharma like this.
  10. London Geezer

Legend Subscriber

Blurry textures, low AF, low res. Not impressed.

:mrgreen:

11. chris1515

Legend Regular

@Dictator congrats great video and I like the segment showing the problem it will solve for artist.

iroboto and London Geezer like this.
  12. Allandor

Regular Newcomer

well that is some really bad graphics ;)

But back to Metro. I think the bouncing is more or less ok, but the material does not absorb enough light on their bounces. In many scenes there is just to much light overall even though there are very rough materials (like wood, bricks or concrete) used. It just needs a bit more fine-tuning (IMHO). Same for the candles, they still emit a bit to much light.
    The other problem I have with some of those screenshots, when you play an outdoor "level", you always have some clouds or even snow storm. But as soon as you are in an indoor "level" it seems to be midsummer without any clouds, ...
    Well again, finetuning still needed ;)

snc likes this.
  13. Dictator

Regular Newcomer

They were done at native 1080p - I would always mention DLSS if active!
    Thanks Chris
    Bounce light is requires I think a bit of a rethinking - as sometimes you are not seeing bounce light from the surface you imagine. It could actually be a lot of sky light or bounce light from further away and not the local surface you imagine.

14. zed

zed
    Legend Veteran

Juding by everything in that photo, was the camera made in the last half century?

Pete, egoless and London Geezer like this.
  15. iroboto

iroboto Daft Funk
    Legend Regular Subscriber

I did something similar. I have a very tiny window in my laundry room that doubles as my furnace room. Obstructing as much direct lighting as possible, using just the window it was able to illuminate deep into the furnace room to items well behind the deepest recesses of the shelves behind the furnace.
    So it’s definitely correct for me for it to bounce everywhere. A camera may have a very hard time trying to deal with multiple exposure, but your eyes will definitely adapt well

16. ThePissartist

Veteran Regular

Annoying, I had to screenshot my own photo since B3D didn't allow for the normal photo size to be uploaded.

...love a bit of mid century furniture, yeah.

London Geezer and iroboto like this.
  17. HLJ

HLJ
    Regular Newcomer

Now compare to 2019 RT to the rasterized 2019 version...

(I will wait for the coin to drop...)

PSman1700 likes this.
  18. Dictator

Regular Newcomer

off-topic - amazing decor

19. London Geezer

Legend Subscriber

Also off-topic. There's a very well hidden pen in there. Whoever finds it first gets a cookie.

ThePissartist likes this.
  20. HLJ

HLJ
    Regular Newcomer

The pen in the window?

Sticks out rather a lot ;P

London Geezer and PSman1700 like this.