Digital Foundry Article Technical Discussion [2021]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well kinda - there is a difference in post-processing happening there which is not something I can avoid while making the comps. @zed mentions it above. If you normalise post-processing in that scene between versions, you would see less of a stark difference.
The scenes where the outdoor area is not as "over-exposed" shows off the difference much better I think as the post-processing there is more similar:
yohooxjxx.jpg
Hey Alex, were the RTX 2060 performance figures in your video with DLSS on or at native 1080p? I assume its native 1080p because it was not mentioned in the graph and a comparison to 2019 without DLSS 1 (as it was not great) and 2021 with DLSS would not be a fair performance comparison. The part before these performance figures showed DLSS turned on, that is why I am a bit confused.

As @Globalisateur pointed out, they're released an image showing the features of the console versions. One of those is listed as "Next-gen temporal reconstruction technology", so deffo not native resolution.

It looks surpringly nice in Alex's video. A much cleaner image than other scaling tech (I'm thinking Remedy's and some older CBR techniques - Horizon Zero Dawn looks very low-res to my eyes).
yeah for sure reconstructed but still heavy rt on consoles hw, we have to wait (I also don't like cb generally but Horizon was prasied by df as a good example of cb usage)

I mean, I was happy to get the 2019 version on PS5, that looked impressive enough until I saw this one, which I assume will be the version they are porting over. Great little team, I just wish they'd devote their time to a new IP or new setting. Metro never really tickled my fancy as much as other settings/stories.

Totally not biased here, but I recommend watching the video.
But yeah, every indoor scene or even aspects of outdoor scenes (inside train cars) had fake light sources in them with RT on in the 2019 version.

I watched the vidéo yesterday. Today I didn't remember this specific point, my bad. Thx for the answer.

yeah for sure reconstructed but still heavy rt on consoles hw, we have to wait (I also don't like cb generally but Horizon was prasied by df as a good example of cb usage)

I wonder if the number of RT bounces on the PC version are proportional to the setting used. i.e., Medium produces 2 light bounces/frame and Ultra has 4 bounces/frame?

Difficult to see other differences between the RT quality settings.

I suspect the consoles' versions will just spread the RT light bounces across more frames compared to the PC.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: snc
you can change the left to similar to the right just by raising its brightness.
I prefer the right, but the left prolly looks closer to reality (if they used the outside part from the right, so neither are correct) ). the human eye doesnt really adapt to bright light and dark light together, eg in the other building outside would appear near pitch black I assume IRL.
Still early days so this aint the best implementation but at least this is showing ppl that raytracing is all about lighting and not that distorted impression that we got sold for the last 6-12 months where its used for nice reflections. Unless the game takes place in a mirrored skyscraper world then its of bugger all importance. Take a look around you indoors/outdoors IRL on average raytraced reflections are prolly useful in <0.1% of your view. Lighting effects 100%
good point that human eye doesn't adapt o bright light and dark light together but disagree tht left looks closer to reality, I've never seen almost dark room with open doors during sunny day

good point that human eye doesn't adapt o bright light and dark light together but disagree tht left looks closer to reality, I've never seen almost dark room with open doors during sunny day
Yeah I agree. The pic on the left doesn't look more realistic at all.

Well kinda - there is a difference in post-processing happening there which is not something I can avoid while making the comps. @zed mentions it above. If you normalise post-processing in that scene between versions, you would see less of a stark difference.
The scenes where the outdoor area is not as "over-exposed" shows off the difference much better I think as the post-processing there is more similar:
yohooxjxx.jpg

The one on the right is really much more like people would see this in real life, though of course there will be scenes where the reflectiveness of the materials could still be incorrect, too reflective or sometimes not enough. This will be an area that will require more attention than previously. But I bought and installed slats type curtains the other day just because of how they work in reflecting light into the room and they show how important RT is in abundance, how the color of the reflected light changes depending on the angle of the sun on the wooden panels, the color of the panels on the white ceiling, the light that is reflected even up into the staircase in the hall, the abundance of light in the living-room and kitchen coming from the window, and the change of color of light from the sun depending on how much cloud is blocking it or not, and the constant changing that can happen as a result. It’s fantastic that this is coming into games now.

Yeah, agreed. Just look around the room you're in for comparison. My office has a small window and yet the entire room is fully illuminated from bounce lighting.

well that is some really bad graphics ;)

But back to Metro. I think the bouncing is more or less ok, but the material does not absorb enough light on their bounces. In many scenes there is just to much light overall even though there are very rough materials (like wood, bricks or concrete) used. It just needs a bit more fine-tuning (IMHO). Same for the candles, they still emit a bit to much light.
The other problem I have with some of those screenshots, when you play an outdoor "level", you always have some clouds or even snow storm. But as soon as you are in an indoor "level" it seems to be midsummer without any clouds, ...
Well again, finetuning still needed ;)

Reactions: snc
Hey Alex, were the RTX 2060 performance figures in your video with DLSS on or at native 1080p? I assume its native 1080p because it was not mentioned in the graph and a comparison to 2019 without DLSS 1 (as it was not great) and 2021 with DLSS would not be a fair performance comparison. The part before these performance figures showed DLSS turned on, that is why I am a bit confused.
They were done at native 1080p - I would always mention DLSS if active!
@Dictator congrats great video and I like the segment showing the problem it will solve for artist.
Thanks Chris
well that is some really bad graphics ;)

But back to Metro. I think the bouncing is more or less ok, but the material does not absorb enough light on their bounces. In many scenes there is just to much light overall even though there are very rough materials (like wood, bricks or concrete) used. It just needs a bit more fine-tuning (IMHO). Same for the candles, they still emit a bit to much light.
The other problem I have with some of those screenshots, when you play an outdoor "level", you always have some clouds or even snow storm. But as soon as you are in an indoor "level" it seems to be midsummer without any clouds, ...
Well again, finetuning still needed ;)
Bounce light is requires I think a bit of a rethinking - as sometimes you are not seeing bounce light from the surface you imagine. It could actually be a lot of sky light or bounce light from further away and not the local surface you imagine.

Yeah, agreed. Just look around the room you're in for comparison. My office has a small window and yet the entire room is fully illuminated from bounce lighting.

I did something similar. I have a very tiny window in my laundry room that doubles as my furnace room. Obstructing as much direct lighting as possible, using just the window it was able to illuminate deep into the furnace room to items well behind the deepest recesses of the shelves behind the furnace.
So it’s definitely correct for me for it to bounce everywhere. A camera may have a very hard time trying to deal with multiple exposure, but your eyes will definitely adapt well

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back