Digital Foundry Article Technical Discussion [2021]

Status
Not open for further replies.
offering another opinion on this: may not be resolution as the issue for this particular scenario. I think they still have an older streaming system based around 30fps. They would need to remove last gen to be able to bring it up to speed to support 60fps. 4K native is not locked on performance mode, so I don't think the correlation between LOD management and resolution is that strong. (load times are still 20seconds for instance a very far cry from the speed Demon Souls and SM:MM load at).
yeah maybe, watched some stream on pc extreme graphics preset and still load managment quite visible, btw fanatec csl elite on pc couse random crashes

Last edited:
Article @ https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2021-forza-horizon-5-xbox-platform-comparison

Every console tested: can Xbox One really run Forza Horizon 5?
Four different machines, six different modes - and we've played them all.

We called it an Xbox Series X masterpiece and that isn't hyperbole - Playground Games has delivered a phenomenal game and a sensational audio-visual experience for its flagship console. However, this is a cross-gen release: somehow, Forza Horizon 5 has to run on last-gen machines and still live up to the expectations of quality expected from a first-party studio production. Admittedly, we were sceptical about its chances but Playground Games was always optimistic - and having put every version through its paces, the studio has delivered.

Quite how Playground would deliver this was always the crucial question and it was very satisfying to visit the studio a few weeks back to see exactly how it was done, my tour kicking off with a look at a remarkable cross-platform comparison system the studio developed. Using one controller and a network of Xbox consoles, I was able to see the demanding jungle stage of the intro drive playing out in real-time across five of the six iterations of the game, with the debug camera used to zero in on the various rendering techniques Playground had developed for the game. From there, moving from left to right, I could see how each console delivered the scene: Xbox Series X quality and performance, Series S equivalents, then finally, the base Xbox One. Xbox One X? I didn't see that but I needn't have worried, it's a fitting send-off for the Microsoft's first 4K console.

Article @ https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2021-forza-horizon-5-xbox-platform-comparison

Every console tested: can Xbox One really run Forza Horizon 5?
Four different machines, six different modes - and we've played them all.

We called it an Xbox Series X masterpiece and that isn't hyperbole - Playground Games has delivered a phenomenal game and a sensational audio-visual experience for its flagship console. However, this is a cross-gen release: somehow, Forza Horizon 5 has to run on last-gen machines and still live up to the expectations of quality expected from a first-party studio production. Admittedly, we were sceptical about its chances but Playground Games was always optimistic - and having put every version through its paces, the studio has delivered.

Quite how Playground would deliver this was always the crucial question and it was very satisfying to visit the studio a few weeks back to see exactly how it was done, my tour kicking off with a look at a remarkable cross-platform comparison system the studio developed. Using one controller and a network of Xbox consoles, I was able to see the demanding jungle stage of the intro drive playing out in real-time across five of the six iterations of the game, with the debug camera used to zero in on the various rendering techniques Playground had developed for the game. From there, moving from left to right, I could see how each console delivered the scene: Xbox Series X quality and performance, Series S equivalents, then finally, the base Xbox One. Xbox One X? I didn't see that but I needn't have worried, it's a fitting send-off for the Microsoft's first 4K console.

I would have loved if they'd gone into more detail about the scalability of the engine as this has been an ongoing focus for the ForzaTech engine developers since 2015. Maybe we'll be lucky and get a tech deep dive with developer interviews in the future.

In some ways, ForzaTech is even more scalable than UE and Unity as it was built to dynamically scale individual effects during runtime (gameplay) in addition to the brute force scaling that DRS represents.

Regards,
SB

Damn. I’ve been starving for a GREAT racing game on PS5 and this is literally the one game that could convince me to get an X just to play it. Looks phenomenal. Where’s my racing games Sony??

Damn. I’ve been starving for a GREAT racing game on PS5 and this is literally the one game that could convince me to get an X just to play it. Looks phenomenal. Where’s my racing games Sony??
Indeed. They never should have killed Evolution studio. Sure they were losing money but for me that game was about prestige and I remember the hype about that game during PS4 launch period.

Or even Motorstorm, what happened to that?? We literally have GT - which is a different type of racing game - and that is it. Not good.
Nor is Dirt 5, which I bought at launch. Whilst I wasn't a fan of apocalypse, what Motorstorm did really well was very allow different class vehicles to literally duke it out on an off-road track with forking and varying paths, which were suited to different classes of vehicles. The original Motorstorm was superb in this respect.

On a bike, it was very risky taking a route more suited to big rigs or mud pluggers both because those vehicles may be better suited to the terrain, but also because it made you an easy target for drivers using bigger vehicles.

Last edited by a moderator:
Xone 720p, ps4 often drops to low 20, old consoles starts to be bearly capable of playing crossgens, xss once again struggle to have clear advantage over xox (higher deatails and texture quality but visible lower resolution)

Kind of surprising that XBS-S has higher resolution textures than XBO-X despite having less memory (10 GB versus 12 GB). The resolution advantage for XBO-X is expected as it has the more powerful GPU, but the lower texture resolution was a bit surprising.

If it's using virtual textures, isn't that where the SSD gives an advantage? (And if it's not, why not!)

@Dictator Halo Infinite Campaign Overview graphics critique is soon. It's really good, goes and identifies a lot of issues that are still there that haven't been resolved. And I fully agree with him on it, I also don't think they'll be able to fix this in time for launch, or whether they intend to.

Kind of surprising that XBS-S has higher resolution textures than XBO-X despite having less memory (10 GB versus 12 GB). The resolution advantage for XBO-X is expected as it has the more powerful GPU, but the lower texture resolution was a bit surprising.

Regards,
SB
I'd say it's because XBX is based on XB1 version and XSS is based on XSX version. Before that gen they would have probably given the XBX some higher resolution textures but with Xbox series versions they probably say why bother?

Last edited:
@Dictator Halo Infinite Campaign Overview graphics critique is soon. It's really good, goes and identifies a lot of issues that are still there that haven't been resolved. And I fully agree with him on it, I also don't think they'll be able to fix this in time for launch, or whether they intend to.
Although I did think @Dictator was harsh on the DF direct about it, I also understood where he was coming from.
I feel the standalone video where he has proper time to critique it was a lot more balanced.

I don't see anything changing prior to launch, but I do feel RT could help a lot in the future. I'm not expecting RT reflections.
How long after launch would that be, maybe with co op? That would be perfect time to drop it.

I would have loved if they'd gone into more detail about the scalability of the engine as this has been an ongoing focus for the ForzaTech engine developers since 2015. Maybe we'll be lucky and get a tech deep dive with developer interviews in the future.

In some ways, ForzaTech is even more scalable than UE and Unity as it was built to dynamically scale individual effects during runtime (gameplay) in addition to the brute force scaling that DRS represents.

Regards,
SB
Graphically the engine really dynamically scales to a high level, and as you say not just DRS.
Be Intresting seeing turn 10 take that philosophy and knowledge into the next engine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back