Digital Foundry Article Technical Discussion [2021]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some lights also don’t cast on characters either. I’ll try to gif a scene, but they had the strobing red light that went around the environment but it didn’t light the characters (but does so only when hit directly). That was extremely noticeable.
Strictly from a visual (presentation) perspective I think it looks a lot better than 2020, not sure I'd say a years worth better though. But definitely won't make eyes bleed this time. So overall definitely worth the delay.

The lighting and shadows could be hugely improved with the RT update if it's for RT lighting, shadows and AO etc.
I'm not expecting RT reflections, and if they do reflections I worry about what the quality of them will be.
It's just a shame it didn't launch with it after a year delay as I think that will make a big difference.

Last edited:
Strictly from a visual (presentation) perspective I think it looks a lot better than 2020, not sure I'd say a years worth better though. But definitely won't make eyes bleed this time. So overall definitely worth the delay.

The lighting and shadows could be hugely improved with the RT update if it's for RT lighting, shadows and AO etc.
I'm not expecting RT reflections, and if they do reflections I worry about what the quality of them will be.
It's just a shame it didn't launch with it after a year delay as I think that will make a big difference.
yea, they fixed up a lot of stuff from 2020. 2020 was imo not public facing ready and it shouldn't have premiered like that. It does remind me of the leaked BF2042 alpha videos that look horrendous, but were cleaned up significantly later.

@Dictator Remember the discussion around whether Control RT was accurate?
5jCKDMQ.png

It took me a long time to just figure this out now, but RT does not reflect the player camera at all. It would reflect the player model. As you can see, gun to the right, whereas the gun is forward here.
So in Control where you were pointing at the glass, and the reflection was on the wrong side, it may have been correct even though the reflection is awkward/incorrect, and this is because it's using the player model represented in the game, and not player camera showing you pushing the gun into the glass.

Really? Why is it all the cool new techs never get a real look-in?!

Doom and Gears 5 do it well. They go in-depth as to why VRS is desirable over DRS in terms of managing the amount of fluctuation DRS will go through and you're going to get a much more stable result with VRS keeping the DRS system from triggering as much on load.

VRS via DXR to pull out a lot of performance without impacting image quality heavy, requires a lot of individual plumbing into each part of the renderer. AMD Fidelity FX offers VRS, but it comes across as a bolt-on, and it can have heavy impacts to visual quality.

5jCKDMQ.png

It took me a long time to just figure this out now, but RT does not reflect the player camera at all. It would reflect the player model. As you can see, gun to the right, whereas the gun is forward here.
So in Control where you were pointing at the glass, and the reflection was on the wrong side, it may have been correct even though the reflection is awkward/incorrect, and this is because it's using the player model represented in the game, and not player camera showing you pushing the gun into the glass.

Isn't the problem with Control that the reflections are from Doom Eternal? ;)

Isn't the problem with Control that the reflections are from Doom Eternal? ;)
hehe.. I was too lazy to find the pic @Dictator took. But it was the same type of setup but in control.
But they exposed the same thing, what we see visually on the player camera (the gun, the hands, where we are looking etc) is not actually what will be reflected in the game. The game will reflect the 'player' model, in this case, Doom reflects what the player would look like in multiplayer.

5jCKDMQ.png

I think it's different for a first person game as opposed to a 3rd person game. In first person, you would reflect a model that isn't actually in the game world in most games. But in a 3rd person game like Control, the character model is in the world, and thus the reflection not matching is instantly noticable.

Doom's self reflection is wonky, though. But it could be worse, have you played Dying Light?

Attachments

• DyingLight.jpg
    DyingLight.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 13
I think it's different for a first person game as opposed to a 3rd person game. In first person, you would reflect a model that isn't actually in the game world in most games. But in a 3rd person game like Control, the character model is in the world, and thus the reflection not matching is instantly noticable.

Doom's self reflection is wonky, though. But it could be worse, have you played Dying Light?
Oh right. Forgot it was a third person. HMMM

Fist looks very nice.
Most likely the first game to use UE4 caustics, which look amazing.

the art is amazing

Played this on PS5 and it's certainly a stunning game. But be prepared, it is crushingly difficult. Probably one of the hardest games I've ever played, still not sure how I managed to finish it. I was hoping for a RT update but it never came and I'm not sure it ever will.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back