Digital Foundry Article Technical Discussion [2021]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I do share his anxiousness abut the impact of an open world. Halo, like other methodically designed games with a mostly linear campaign, can control the exact pacing so it's never too hectic and never too quiet. Crescendos of action and drama meticulously designed at key points. I don't know how you do that in an open world, tackling missions in any order - unless these opportunities are few and far between but they've made such a big song and dance about.
I share this feeling, and honestly, I'm very surprised EA didn't do this first with Battlefield. Earlier Battlefield titles didn't have any real single player content at all, and then they added pretty well crafted story modes, but I would think that today, they could stitch together most of the multiplayer maps and add some filler in between with Ubisoft style quests with the reward of some multiplayer gun/skin unlocks and call it good. Seams like a no brainer for that series. Halo always had big maps, but they were also centered around the objective of the narrative.

My take from the campaign overview is it looks to be the most fun Halo campaign ever and how no two play throughs will ever be the same. *shrug*
From my understanding this game is meant to evolve over time so getting the gameplay right is by far the most important thing. Graphically the game can always be improved over time through updates. I don't think this is what the game will look like 2-3 years from now. That being said it looks plenty good enough to me and it looks so damn fun.

Maybe they think it's not enough and that a good gameplay experience is more important than a "next gen feel" I'd say they are right if so.
hmm... , imo this comes across as an engine/performance limitation here. Having hero lighting on all foes just removes any sort of real ability to sell a mood/environment/experience with lighting. You pretty much can't have any sort of horror elements portrayed in an effective manner.
If Halo CE was redone with proper lighting, the introduction of the flood would have come across like in Alien the movies, and that just would have been a surreal experience. The technology wasn't available then, so I'm sure Bungie would have tried if they could have, as they did go back to do that with Destiny when introducing the Hive. So the idea that having hero lighting on all the enemies makes for better gameplay is extremely debatable here when we're just talking about lighting. Enemies in hidden properly in darkness is awesome.

I do share his anxiousness abut the impact of an open world. Halo, like other methodically designed games with a mostly linear campaign, can control the exact pacing so it's never too hectic and never too quiet. Crescendos of action and drama meticulously designed at key points. I don't know how you do that in an open world, tackling missions in any order - unless these opportunities are few and far between but they've made such a big song and dance about.
Yea I have a feel for many it will be entirely a hit, and for others a miss. Reminds me a bit of Zelda BOTW type change here. Not sure what to say, I guess we just need to experience it to see what happens. it could be pure genius, or purely forgettable.
I really enjoyed Assasin's Creed Origins for instance, and easily it's been my favourite AssCreed. But its not largely memorable because it lacked direction.
30 days to go. I'm ready.

FH5 looking better on pc wasnt that much of a surprise, but its intresting anyways since we get to dive into the technical aspects of this amazing looking game. Somehow reminds of SSX but with cars ;)

Alex REALLY needs to do a Guardians of the Galaxy pc video.

Best looking game out there, and its on other platforms too so worth another video i hope.

it was temporarily taken over by russian hackers who pointed it to their spaceX mirror site that tries to steal crypto. The eventually regained control but Youtube algos have flagged their account for foul play as a result of the hack and they are now getting sorted.

Alex's Forza PC comparison is available on YouTube Backups. Just watched it and there are some really interesting results. Seems like a solid port but with some missed opportunities on the PC, especially the lack of DRS which essentially means you need a 2080Ti to match or slightly exceed the XSX framerate as a fixed 4k. DRS would have brought an equivalent experience down to 2080 or even 2070S level by the looks of it.

On the upside its possible to get a 60fps experience in the equivalent of XSX quality mode on a 3080 or 6800.

Alex's Forza PC comparison is available on YouTube Backups. Just watched it and there are some really interesting results. Seems like a solid port but with some missed opportunities on the PC, especially the lack of DRS which essentially means you need a 2080Ti to match or slightly exceed the XSX framerate as a fixed 4k. DRS would have brought an equivalent experience down to 2080 or even 2070S level by the looks of it.

On the upside its possible to get a 60fps experience in the equivalent of XSX quality mode on a 3080 or 6800.
The 2070S couldn't do it. It's there in the video...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back