Digital Foundry Article Technical Discussion [2021]

Status
Not open for further replies.
wonder how will the RT mode be.
Anyway, once i'm done with far cry 6 i might buy this one.

I doubt there's gonna be any. The game runs in the 40s at 1080p, with zero RT. And at 4k it drops a frame or two in battle, from 30. There's no space for RT in either mode, unless they cut back details even more.

https://imgsli.com/Nzk0Mjk

What strikes me most in the video is that the gameplay looks primitive and dull with this lock on target system. One just has to press a button and you automatically aim at the opponent. Then press the other button to shoot.

Not surprisingly. You could also forget about the Avenger game from last year. These developers made much more interesting games before. Pity about the wasted resources.

This game is best played on PC, with a mouse and keyboard. In addition to the vastly better performance, image quality and settings, you can play with free aim, like a normal game, with a mouse. Since you can aim properly in the heat of battle. I havent used the lock on function once in the game.

Last edited:
I know thats what they said, but when you have 40 frames at 1080 where do you put the ray tracing ? Look at the performance metrics in my link. From 150 to 100. And thats on Ampere, and not ultra ray tracing, just very high. The game is filled with rough reflections, the more expensive kind. And you have areas that look like this in the game:

These consoles would brik at these scenes. If they do implement RT, it would be really interesting to see what exactly they do. At this moment in time, theres just no space left. Are they gonna make the game 1080 at 30 frames on a series x ?

I know thats what they said, but when you have 40 frames at 1080 where do you put the ray tracing ? Look at the performance metrics in my link.

You do know the game runs like shit because of the developers right? There's very reason why the game drops to 40fps at 1080p when it runs at 4x the pixels at 30fps with higher quality settings.

The performance performance of this game has very little to do with the consoles themselves.

Also, the way I understood the communications from the devs, it looks like RT is/was ready to go and that it would be updated at launch or close to it.

So maybe I’m being naive but I get the feeling the current quality and performance modes are already taking into account the hit from RT. That would explain why it needs to go down to 1080p.

So maybe I’m being naive but I get the feeling the current quality and performance modes are already taking into account the hit from RT. That would explain why it needs to go down to 1080p.
If that was the case I would've expected it to be a locked 60fps but it's not.

His diction is truly awful and extremely annoying to listen to. Hopefully he'll get guidance on that.

Emphasising every 3-5 words and "dragging out the commas" in the script sounds amateurish.
Well, he's new. I remember the others sounding stiff in their early works too.. and that's because they're reading off a script and not exactly comfortable in the role yet. Alex and Tom very quickly settled in and found their rhythm. Compare John's early work to his latest stuff and it's on a completely different level. These guys have all grown over time.. the same thing will happen here I'm sure.

Last edited:
His diction is truly awful and extremely annoying to listen to. Hopefully he'll get guidance on that.

Emphasising every 3-5 words and "dragging out the commas" in the script sounds amateurish.
as Remij wrote, he is new and will improve, don't be so harsh ;)

lol I saw this a couple days ago, lol. I was like, oh man, curious to see the internet response to Alex's comments on Halo. Now that it's out, time to peruse Gaf and Era for hot takes.
to be honest nothing controversial here for me, I was also surprised when people wrote it so much better than initial trailer as I also didn't see much improvement, new halo won't be a looker tough still can be good game

Lol it wasn't that bad. His monologue is a little more wooden than the experienced guys but it's fine. The main issue for me is that it sounds very scripted. I'm sure everyone is scripted but the best guys can make it sound more adlib.

to be honest nothing controversial here for me, I was also surprised when people wrote it so much better than initial trailer as I also didn't see much improvement, new halo won't be a looker tough still can be good game

My first reaction was that it looked better than the initial trailer but still looks like an Xbox 360 game.

Lol it wasn't that bad. His monologue is a little more wooden than the experienced guys but it's fine. The main issue for me is that it sounds very scripted. I'm sure everyone is scripted but the best guys can make it sound more adlib.

My first reaction was that it looked better than the initial trailer but still looks like an Xbox 360 game.
Do you mean Xbox One?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back