Digital Foundry Article Technical Discussion [2021]

Status
Not open for further replies.
While cool, things like this will be the death of standalone hardware. I intend to enjoy if for as long as it lasts but it seems the clock is rapidly running down for us hardware enthusiasts.

As Tim Sweeney said, local graphics cards, APUs and CPUs are evolving at a much faster rate than networks and their inherent latencies.
This is especially true for places like the US market where the internet connection in most inner states is still pretty terrible but the market for videogames is very relevant.

The trend just isn't there for standalone hardware to disappear anytime soon, though obviously no one knows how the world will look like in 10 years.

While cool, things like this will be the death of standalone hardware. I intend to enjoy if for as long as it lasts but it seems the clock is rapidly running down for us hardware enthusiasts.
It is a shame service like that is ruined with tedious login process every time I launch steam game from GFN. I have to enter my 24 letter passwd which is full of special characters and then authenticator code. All using nVidia ShieldTV gamepad. Is it really true big corporation like nVidia cant get this solved with Valve?

As Tim Sweeney said, local graphics cards, APUs and CPUs are evolving at a much faster rate than networks and their inherent latencies.
This is especially true for places like the US market where the internet connection in most inner states is still pretty terrible but the market for videogames is very relevant.

The trend just isn't there for standalone hardware to disappear anytime soon, though obviously no one knows how the world will look like in 10 years.

Agree, not seeing local hardware at home dissapearing anytime soon.

I do a ton of in-home streaming using moonlight. It works great but I don’t see internet infrastructure providing LAN performance and reliability anytime soon.

That and most people seem to want to have their hardware at home (consoles, pc's etc). It might happen sometime, that would be quite boring i think (next playstion just being a terminal, same for pc's and phones etc).

DF Article @ https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2021-forza-horizon-5-hands-on

Forza Horizon 5 hands-on: a next-gen spectacle for Xbox Series consoles
Plus: a look at scalability across X and S consoles.

Forza Horizon 5 has gone gold, the game arrives less than two weeks from now and recently, press had the chance to go hands-on with what is effectively the first hour of the game, featuring the introductory drive, a showcase event, a number of races and open world challenges and the player's arrival at their very first home. Oli Welsh has already shared his first impressions but for Digital Foundry, the preview was a chance to get up close and personal with the technology, to get some idea of how the new Xbox consoles are put through their paces and crucially, to see how the game may scale across systems.

Scalability is key to Forza Horizon 5 for several reasons. First of all, it's a Horizon game supports more platforms than it ever has before. In addition to PC (with scalability challenges of its own) and two quite different Xbox Series consoles, there's Xbox One as well, not to mention Xbox One X. The preview code we had only worked on the new machines, so quite how Playground intends to run the game on Xbox One remains to be seen, but perhaps there are some clues when looking at Series code, principally because both quality and performance modes are included. Intriguingly, whether you're running on Series X or its junior counterpart, both of them run at the same resolution: 3840x2160 or 1920x1080 respectively, albeit with potential hints of dynamic resolution scaling in play on the performance mode (truth is, it's quite hard to tell).

I hope they eventually offer a third mode, say 1440p with the IQ and FPS. I can't go back to 30 FPS games.

I hope they eventually offer a third mode, say 1440p with the IQ and FPS. I can't go back to 30 FPS games.
I get the feeling that their decision was influenced by the fact that they want a pristine presentation since it's a console version. I also think they should get rid of MSAA and adopt a TSS/AA. That way they can start using DRS.

In any case, Good job by PG, phenomenal looking game.

I think there should be 30, 40, 60, 60/120 unlocked mode.

Be nice to also offer those at 1440p with relevant changes to graphics also. Wonder if their automatic systems would take care of most of it.

Going by the video, sounds like they say the XSS is a mirror image of XSX just at 1080p. From this preview anyway.
I remember someone basically saying I was blind for asking what specifically needed lot of work on XSS.
Maybe they was comparing XSX quality to XSS performance modes?

Imagine the visuals they can achieve when they drop the antiquated MSAA and just TAAU from 1440p. That will give them possibly 2x the MS/frame budget.

I haven't watched the video yet, but I don't know what's up with playground and performance modes. The XSX version of fh4 is noticeably cut back from the 30fps version on the x1x. I guess if you hadn't seen the quality version then a locked 60 at 4k is pretty amazing for the features they do include in performance mode of their games, but I'd much rather take 1440p or hell 1080p with full features.

That and most people seem to want to have their hardware at home (consoles, pc's etc). It might happen sometime, that would be quite boring i think (next playstion just being a terminal, same for pc's and phones etc).

Well there was a time when people cared about VHS and DVD and BluRay player tech. Now nobody cares and they’re happy to stream movies all day long. Same thing can happen to games…one day.

I haven't watched the video yet, but I don't know what's up with playground and performance modes. The XSX version of fh4 is noticeably cut back from the 30fps version on the x1x. I guess if you hadn't seen the quality version then a locked 60 at 4k is pretty amazing for the features they do include in performance mode of their games, but I'd much rather take 1440p or hell 1080p with full features.
The XSX port of FH4 was not done by PG but by Panic Button and it was clearly not of the highest priority.

I would hope for a 40fps mode for 120Hz TVs ;)
Especially in a racing game, this could be a huge win.

The XSX port of FH4 was not done by PG but by Panic Button and it was clearly not of the highest priority.
Sadly, yes. This update had so much potential but did not do everything it might have done.
But the real "problem" is that we had a mid-gen refresh. So that game already looked great and was originally designed to run at 4k30 on x1x.

Ah, ok, thanks for the clarification.

Still, having watched the video, I remain baffled. A lot of gamers and gamedevs are chasing crispness at all costs, as if a super sharp, clean, lod pop in is better than a slightly lower res perfect image. I guess I'll try to play this one at 30 for as long as i can bear. It's not as if the series S version looks terribly blurry on a renderer with access to msaa.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back