Digital Foundry Article Technical Discussion [2021]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just been playing Gran Turismo 4 and it got me thinking about Forza only having RT only for the cars might be on to something there.

For a circuit racer like GT you could get away with a good quality cube map for everything that's static (So 90% of the track) and the dynamic objects (Like cars) in the BVH so you get all the self reflections and reflections of cars within cars and should will get much better performance.

Imagine the visuals they can achieve when they drop the antiquated MSAA and just TAAU from 1440p. That will give them possibly 2x the MS/frame budget.
It’s chosen for its lack of blur. If they wanted TAA and TAAU they would have put it in. And huge doubts it would save any frame time. The game is forward+ rendering. MSAA fits well here.

It’s chosen for its lack of blur. If they wanted TAA and TAAU they would have put it in. And huge doubts it would save any frame time. The game is forward+ rendering. MSAA fits well here.
I think the upcoming engine rework has a good chance of incorporating TAA. The foliage aliases heavily even at 4k. Even in Forward renderers 4xMSAA typically has a 20-25%~ performance cost. That + half the pixels being rendered could result in a 2x increase in frametime budget. The motion blur hides any benefit of sharpness.

I think the upcoming engine rework has a good chance of incorporating TAA. The foliage aliases heavily even at 4k. Even in Forward renderers 4xMSAA typically has a 20-25%~ performance cost. That + half the pixels being rendered could result in a 2x increase in frametime budget. The motion blur hides any benefit of sharpness.
I don't really think highly controlled motion blur and just TAA/U are the same in terms of quality or effect.
Playground had the option of going dynamic resolution, but instead opted for dynamic rendering load/content and static resolution and a hard locked 30/60.

I think those decisions provide a lot of insight on the developers choice of choosing what they felt was the most important to them, there are likely many reasons they did not explore TAA/U, dynamic resolution and VRS.

They could always look at TrSSAA or TrMSAA for the engine?

Like the ones you can find by a simple search?

DVD and Blu-ray sales nearly halved over five years, MPAA report says | Ars Technica

Globally, sales dropped by half from 2014-2018. You can see there's basically no difference in percentage drop between the US and rest of the world.

If you think 2019+ was any better? Think again. Covid lockdown didn't do much to help physical disk sales across the board while digital streaming and sales took off through the roof.

So, yes, there's still some people around the world that care about physical media, but they are solidly in a rapidly shrinking minority.

Just another link to show the relative performance of digital versus physical from 2017-2020.

Digital movie sales soar past DVD/Blu-ray in 2020 - FlatpanelsHD

SVOD in the graph is subscription services. Yeah, it's rapidly climbing.

Regards,
SB

Like the ones you can find by a simple search?

DVD and Blu-ray sales nearly halved over five years, MPAA report says | Ars Technica

Globally, sales dropped by half from 2014-2018. You can see there's basically no difference in percentage drop between the US and rest of the world.

If you think 2019+ was any better? Think again. Covid lockdown didn't do much to help physical disk sales across the board while digital streaming and sales took off through the roof.

So, yes, there's still some people around the world that care about physical media, but they are solidly in a rapidly shrinking minority.

Just another link to show the relative performance of digital versus physical from 2017-2020.

SVOD in the graph is subscription services. Yeah, it's rapidly climbing.

Regards,
SB

If the same thing will happen to computing/gaming remains to be seen (or if its happening anytime soon). I still believe we will get a PS6 and maybe even a PS7 as local hardware boxes.

Physical sales are going down rapidly, but are much larger than I would have guessed, certainly not a niche in 2020 compared to digital rentals/purchases, which was a surprise to me...
Looks like box office and video subscriptions are bringing the money, but movie rentals/purchases in any format are the clear minority.

Physical sales are going down rapidly, but are much larger than I would have guessed, certainly not a niche in 2020 compared to digital rentals/purchases, which was a surprise to me...
Looks like box office and video subscriptions are bringing the money, but movie rentals/purchases in any format are the clear minority.

Take a look again. SVOD (subscription streaming) is now over double the revenue of box office. It's over triple box office if you just look at first half 2020. While Covid impacted box office negatively, it impacted digital streaming positively.

Physical + Digital purchases is lower than box office. Digital purchases are slightly more than digital rentals, but digital rentals are higher than physical sales.

Basically ownership of physical movies and TV shows is in decline. Digital ownership and rental is relatively flat with a very slight upward trend. Box office is declining. Digital streaming is steadily climbing.

Regards,
SB

Take a look again. SVOD (subscription streaming) is now over double the revenue of box office. It's over triple box office if you just look at first half 2020. While Covid impacted box office negatively, it impacted digital streaming positively.

Physical + Digital purchases is lower than box office. Digital purchases are slightly more than digital rentals, but digital rentals are higher than physical sales.

Basically ownership of physical movies and TV shows is in decline. Digital ownership and rental is relatively flat with a very slight upward trend. Box office is declining. Digital streaming is steadily climbing.

Regards,
SB

I meant SVOD with video subscriptions... So that and the Box office are the big 2. Box Office will mostly bounce back and you shouldn't analyze just the covid-era figures of it. It's been mostly flat, but still bringing in quite a bit of money.

Regardless actually purchasing movies, physical is still doing better than I expected against digital movie sales.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back