Digital Foundry Article Technical Discussion [2020]

Discussion in 'Console Technology' started by BRiT, Jan 1, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AbsoluteBeginner

Regular Newcomer

Its better then 5700XT, but lately 5700XT is matching or beating 2070S so its pretty potent console however you slice it.

2. ChuckeRearmed

Regular Newcomer

Considering that everybody left and right has been praising PS5 tools and secret Cerny sauce I know which side I am on:grin:

But, at least they are not locking the framerate, meaning that in the future - if they game will be a little bit popular - more powerful systems might run it better.

P.s. I wonder what framerate was in the games from PS1 and PS2 generation. I doubt it reached solid 30 fps

3. Rootax

Veteran Newcomer

(Oh BTW, I've now a "DFPatreon" library in my Plex. For some games It look really nicer than youtube. And I don't have to wait for 4k. 5 euros monthly well spend (yeah sorry I can't really more as I multiplicate this kind of "donations" :eek: )

thicc_gaf and DSoup like this.
  4. Shortbread

Shortbread Island Hopper
    Legend Veteran

This is good news. Hopefully, Sony will send their Ninja's as well, because there are certain parts in Dirt 5 where PS5 is clearly showing issues as well and can be resolved during these updates.

BRiT likes this.
  5. iroboto

iroboto Daft Funk
    Legend Regular Subscriber

My plex can’t run their HEVC videos; any ideas ?

tuna likes this.
  6. iroboto

iroboto Daft Funk

I’m not even sure which issues Codemasters are referring to but I assume they are referring to all of them.
    Edit: Oh I see who they tweeted to.

okay. Well the post launch support sounds awesome; wheel support please!

7. Rootax

Veteran Newcomer

What client are you using ? On my shield tv, it direct plays, no problem.

8. DuckThor Evil

Legend Veteran

First I admit that I don't count the non hard drive Core model into the equation, because even though it was cheaper, it did not sold many units due to it being such a bad value. No HDD, no wireless controller and only SD-picture output. Getting 720P out of that and a separate HDD put the price over the Premium model already by quite a bit, so my comparison is for HDD model vs HDD model of both consoles. I understand if someone wants to argue about that, but I don't care haha.

With that out of the way. Sony Launched the 40GB model, without any of the PS2 chips in 2007 for $/€399. In October for Europe, where the console itself had only launched in March 2007, so about 7 months later, and November 2007 for North-America, so 12 months after the launch. This was the same price as the main X360 SKU and after that they basically had more or less price parity till the end of the generation.

DSoup likes this.
  9. Insight

Newcomer

I'm little skeptic here, they didn't address it directly which weird.
    During the preview of Xbox Series X many journalists complained about a massive drop in LoD quality in 120fps mode and they didn't address back then
    https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2020...s-x-the-120fps-difference-saves-a-rusty-ride/

10. iroboto

iroboto Daft Funk

LG TV client

11. PSman1700

Veteran Newcomer

Around 2080 level depending on game is right where it was expected. Its the XSX that doesnt do what i expected.

12. Rootax

Veteran Newcomer

Ah yes, the LG/official plex client on lg tv will transcode afaik. But you have an unofficial app, Xplay, which is a lot better (I don't use it anymore but few years ago it was good). You can try it before buying it I believe.

EDIT : ah sh*t, it seems that Xplay is not supported anymore https://forums.plex.tv/t/lg-xplay-no-transcode-vs-plex-transcode/594405

BRiT and iroboto like this.
  13. iroboto

iroboto Daft Funk

They likely back logged it; Priority is around getting the game to launch on 8 platforms with several modes each. It’s a lot to work on. with the game launched and from what I see they do appear stable enough as a launch release candidate; they can go back and make things better.
    120fps mode was likely to be the least used mode

14. Shortbread

Shortbread Island Hopper
    Legend Veteran

Codematers had responded to tweet (now deleted) that there weren't any major issues with XBSX/S version of D5, but now that tune has changed. I'm pretty sure a lot of stemms from the pushback and/or feedback within the gaming community.

egoless and iroboto like this.
  15. iroboto

iroboto Daft Funk

Ah okay. Well good on DF :)

Dictator and Shortbread like this.
  16. snc

snc
    Regular Newcomer

yeah I also doubt it's ultra, so radeon 5700 29 on avarage here, 5700xt 31,2080 super 31, all worse than ps5 gpu

chris1515 likes this.
  17. Xbat

Veteran Newcomer

Must say Godfall is real pretty

18. Shortbread

Shortbread Island Hopper
    Legend Veteran

Because gaming community feedback and/or pushback is far more effective than a handful of gaming journalists. The amount of grievance and/or negativity sent towards Codemasters was quite REAL after DF D5 analysis. YouTube, Twitter, and gaming boards comment sections were a cesspool of complaints and console warring... and no game developer wants their products to fail because of negative reviews and complaints.

19. Shortbread

Shortbread Island Hopper
    Legend Veteran

Pretty in certain aspects, but very bland and unimpressive in other aspects. The lack of environmental effects being one of them.

eloyc likes this.
  20. mr magoo

Newcomer

I have to say this generation is weird, there is almost no trully great next gen titles that shows power of nextgen systems ( at least ps5 have Demon Souls), and yet its impossible to buy either ps5 or XSX. The back compat titles and cross gen titles with promised huge perf boost comes with mixed results, some works better on XSX some on ps5 (ps5 having edge here). Its feels almost like pc upgarde. Weird

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.